WAG Fronthandspring Front Tuck Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The only way you [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE]MUST proceed, if still convinced the kid needs your help, is to tell her parents to enlist the help of a coach who's taught the skill before. That coach can act as your mentor, and guide the process in a way the coach feels appropriate, with in person supervision through the key moments of the skill.
Yes, per my editing above, that is the only way for the OP to proceed if and only if he/she does insist on proceeding, regardless how desperately the gymnast wants to learn the skill.

It's frustrating to come across a skill that you want to teach and a kid wants to learn and you just don't have the skill set to do it, but look at it as a huge opportunity to further your coaching abilities. In asking for help from the coaches who introduced this skill to your athlete, or other experienced coaches within a days drive or so, you can create a really great relationship to help both your athlete and your skills as a coach that will only serve to help your program down the road.
Explain the situation to the gymnast and parents and let them know you will explore potential opportunities at other gyms for her, or they can do that work themselves if they prefer, but that you cannot offer anything beyond working very basic drills and progressions for this skill (and by that I mean improving her fhs vault).
This isn't a kid asking to learn a skill that you can kind of make an "educated guess" at teaching and only risk teaching it incorrectly but no actual injury, this is a skill that poses a great risk if not taught with extreme care and it just isn't worth it.
USAG and individual states/regions offer some programs that might be helpful for you as well such as hands on coaching classes and clinics. Even if these particular clinics do not work specifically on that skill, you might be able to make connections and build relationships that will be beneficial. You can look here: :: USA Gymnastics :: USA Gymnastics University - School of Recreational Gymnastics :: or on your state/region website for upcoming events or for contact info to see if anything is being offered in coming months (probably not with meet season about to be in full swing, but you never know).

It's frustrating to come across a skill that you want to teach and a kid wants to learn and you just don't have the skill set to do it, but look at it as a huge opportunity to further your coaching abilities. In asking for help from the coaches who introduced this skill to your athlete, or other experienced coaches within a days drive or so, you can create a really great relationship to help both your athlete and your skills as a coach that will only serve to help your program down the road.
Explain the situation to the gymnast and parents and let them know you will explore potential opportunities at other gyms for her, or they can do that work themselves if they prefer, but that you cannot offer anything beyond working very basic drills and progressions for this skill (and by that I mean improving her fhs vault).
This isn't a kid asking to learn a skill that you can kind of make an "educated guess" at teaching and only risk teaching it incorrectly but no actual injury, this is a skill that poses a great risk if not taught with extreme care and it just isn't worth it.
USAG and individual states/regions offer some programs that might be helpful for you as well such as hands on coaching classes and clinics. Even if these particular clinics do not work specifically on that skill, you might be able to make connections and build relationships that will be beneficial. You can look here: :: USA Gymnastics :: USA Gymnastics University - School of Recreational Gymnastics :: or on your state/region website for upcoming events or for contact info to see if anything is being offered in coming months (probably not with meet season about to be in full swing, but you never know).

Thank you for this! At her next lesson, I will suggest to about working on another vault that she is more familiar and comfortable competing. If she still wants to pursue this vault, then I will help her and her parents anyway I can and that includes contacting other gyms that have experiencing coaching this vault. Her season starts in two months and she will not be ready to compete this vault in time. So, I will work with her on a "back up" vault and at the same time get her started on the basics for this vault with the help of others. When she is ready to move on, I will send her those who will help her improve and eventually help her be competition ready. I thank everyone for their comments and concerns and I will probably have and update for you in a couple of days.^^ Thank you everyone for your time!

You do realize that VERY FEW females compete Handspring front. Err, I'm thinking Handspring Double Front (Prudonova) but still many don't and end up going Tsuk, Yurchenko, or Handspring Twisting.

Basic progression is vaulting up hill to where they can Front handspring to their feet, then hands and knees and stomach with a porta pit behind the vault (if not stacking mats on top of that).

But if you are not comfortable spotting this (I've done Hand front [badly] but I've never spotted them before so) I'd be wary of doing so.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back