WAG How get the pike out of the back layout?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
So DD is doing RO BHS BLO and she gets around ok and has good height but the landing is some what piked. What do you do to fix this? I have no intention of coaching her or helping her myself. I am just curious. I don't really know the mechanics of this skill. I am thinking that perhaps she rotates too slow?

I'm curious what coaches have to say too as my daughter is doing the same thing. I did notice her coaches correcting her on it today but just want to see what people say.

Take your time, get a chance to take a video with a better camera and put up a link to that one. I can see the problem and can guess what the cause is, but the "shot" is from such a distance it's hard to speak beyond generalities.

It wasn't "a beaut," but hey, it wasn't all that bad for an almost first attempt, and you can tell her that her "layout" looks better than your "video." :D ;)

Looks like she's arching on take off and not quite finishing her set. If you pause the video during the flip, you'll see the arch is still there with the rear end sticking out.
Basically I'd say think "tall" on the set and squeeze the backside. See if that helps any.

Something that has really helped me improve my layouts is to think about lifting my hips (squeezing my bum also) and setting up with my arms as hard as I can. It looks like she's arching and setting backwards instead of upwards, and the lack of hip lift is forcing her to pike in order to get her legs around at the end. That said, it's a decent back layout so kudos to her for doing that after being off for two and a half weeks!

Looks like she's arching on take off and not quite finishing her set. If you pause the video during the flip, you'll see the arch is still there with the rear end sticking out.
Basically I'd say think "tall" on the set and squeeze the backside. See if that helps any.

yep, basically this ^^^. she is throwing her head back instead of maintaining the head in a neutral position. once you throw the head you become like an elastic ruler. :)

Thank you for the replies! I can see how the set up can cause problems. She forgets to set her arms sometimes when she does her back tuck pass as well. I will try to get a better video I was standing at the door with my phone :) I thought it was pretty nice attempt too. I think she is well on her way to getting a very nice layout :) I just don't really know what I am looking at with these new skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back