DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aussie_coach

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Out of curiosity what level did yourself, your gymnast achieve her cast to handstand? What level is it usually achieved at your gym? What level, of any, is it required in your gym?

In the US, every cast from level 6-10 is deducted if not to handstand. It’s a requirement from level 7-10, to fulfill the special requirements but starts to be a deduction at level 6. In level 4, casts must be horizontal and level 5, above horizontal.

In the US, every cast from level 6-10 is deducted if not to handstand. It’s a requirement from level 7-10, to fulfill the special requirements but starts to be a deduction at level 6. In level 4, casts must be horizontal and level 5, above horizontal.

So does that mean that most US gyms expect kids to get their cast to handstand in level 5, or is this more of an ideal than a reality?

This year- 2nd year level 6 before my dd competed it. Once girl competed it consistently as a first year level 6 last year, but she also competed giants and is now competing 8. It is supposed to be a level 6 requirement at our gym.

My daughter 1/2 through her L7 season. Just getting to handstand. And she'll need more time to be there consistently. But with pretty good form.

Kids got there quicker but not as nice.

Is that true for level 6? I thought requirement for cast was a minimum of horizontal. For level 7, minimum of 45 degrees from vertical.

We teach the developmental kids to cast to a handstand before they compete at any level. For the kids who are competing each/most compulsory levels, we teach the handstand at level 3 & 4. It's much harder to teach/learn if you wait until they are in higher levels.

Actually, at Level 7, the requirement for SR credit is 45º from HS.
At Levels 8-10, Casts aren't even in the Special Requirements.
But at all Optional Levels, they are deducted if not within 20º of Handstand.

At our gym, they just have to meet the minimum requirements (with a preference for them being above the minimum).
We have 2 L8s that can occasionally hit the handstand, but mostly not.

We’ve been a part of strong gyms and at those it was about half at L5 and half at L7. If you could do it at L5 you went to L7 and if you couldn’t you went to L6. At weaker gyms I would say some in L7 and some not until L8. I would say L7 is the most common time across all gyms.

Actually, at Level 7, the requirement for SR credit is 45º from HS.
At Levels 8-10, Casts aren't even in the Special Requirements.
But at all Optional Levels, they are deducted if not within 20º of Handstand.

At our gym, they just have to meet the minimum requirements (with a preference for them being above the minimum).
We have 2 L8s that can occasionally hit the handstand, but mostly not.
Just to clarify , a requirement fulfills the requirements but not hitting the h stand is still a deduction .

It is required at dd's gym to compete level 7. My dd just finished level 5 in December and got her cast handstand around the same time as the end of the season. Her group is working on them at every practice now and most of the girls are either really close or have them.

I never really had it consistently - could never do a straight body cast to handstand and couldn't get the straddle down consistently. Competed up through one and a half seasons of old level 7. I couldn't get my hips high enough without leaning too far over the bar to come back. Based on when it worked and when it didn't, I think it was a strength-to-weight ratio issue, although my coaches said I should be strong enough. My first season of level 7 I was close but never actually made it all the way up. My second season of level 7, and I was able to make it up to handstand sometimes and sometimes able to do pirouettes.

Except Level 6 Special Requirement is a cast to minimum horizontal. Deductions are taken if its not to handstand, but to fulfill the SR, it only has to be to horizontal.

Dd had her cast-HS in L4, but she did TOPS. I’d say that most of the kids in L5 at her gym can do them, but they don’t (intentionally) compete them at L5.

They don’t teach straddle HS until training L7. Kids who get them before L7 do straight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back