WAG What is your state meet qualification score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow, I didn't know there was such a huge range from state to state!! Seems like 28-34.5 AA is a huge range! Does anyone have any idea why they vary so much since (at least for compulsories) it's the same routines??
It all depends on how many gymnasts they want to compete at State. In larger states with more gyms, they might have higher requirements to get the numbers down to manageable. Whereas, in smaller states or those with fewer gymnasts overall, a lower score will get high enough numbers to make the meet worthwhile.

What exactly does that mean? We are new to xcel.
What this means is that they take the top scoring girls from the state meet qualify for the Xcel Regional meet as members of "Team Ohio"... however, others who weren't in the top 8 or whatever can still go, just not representing the state.
Hope that helps.

I know that it is 32 here in FL for Lv 4.

Same as last year... our gym required 35 last year but they have moved it down to 32 this year because of new routines, judging, etc.

@kandkfunk -- you are stating Oregon qualification scores right?

Oregon actually has two state meets, fall and spring for compulsories. Correct me if any of the following is wrong.

Fall state is determined by placement at sectionals. I believe it's top 72 from levels 3-5, with a minimum 32.00 AA.

Spring state has a flat qualification score of 32.00, historically this has been a smaller meet than fall state, though I think this is changing.

VA must be bucking the trend because we were told at the parents meeting that qualifying scores were going up for a lot of levels. It's not posted yet on the VA USAG website, but the coaches said that state qualification was now a 33 through L8. I think level 9 stayed at 32.

I'm on the board that decides this stuff in my state. It was suggested that we lower our requirement this year but we ended up staying the same thank goodness. We are consistent with what USAG requires to move up/ qualify to regionals etc. It is a very small gymnastics state.

Anyone know the Norcal State qualifying score for level 6,7 and 8?
Looked every where before asking.

Qualifying state scores have to be achieved in your home State, right? I forgot we were out of State because it felt so close to home this weekend.

I don't think you have to qualify for states in your home state. I think any USAG meet will do. But someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Ours is 34.5 for L7. Thankfully, DD qualified in her first meet so now she can just go about her business and not worry about that anymore.

I don't think TX has a minimum score, per se, for qualifying for state. TX is divided into north and south, much like CA. In order to qualify for district championships, girls at the compulsory levels have to score a 31 and for optionals it's a 34. But...(of course TX has to be weird!), once the girls qualify for district championships, they then go on to qualify for either North State or South State, depending on where the gymnast lives. They usually take a percentage of girls in each age group to, in our case, South State (this year I think it was 55% or 58%, can't remember off the top of my head). At district, DD scored a 35.75 as a (new) L4/(old) L5, and that was good enough to qualify her for South State in 13th (they took the top 24 girls, with 25th and 26th being the two alternates). At South State, the girls had to score in the top 9 of their age group to qualify for state, with 10th and 11th being the two alternates. For DD's age group, the 9th place score was a 36.325.

Unlike other states, TX seems to set the bar really high (or the gymnasts here are just really, really good), because those qualifying scores I posted are much higher than what many of you have listed for your state. I do know, though, in TX there are a lot of girls who will compete 2 years at the same level--first year you learn it, second year you own it is the cliche here--so I'm not sure if those scores are over-inflated, accounting for girls who have repeated the level just so they could qualify for State. (DD did not repeat the level--her 35/36 came from her first year as a L4/L5. She has since moved to L5 (old 6), but I'm sure we'll see the same thing this year. It is very tough in TX to qualify for State if you're a first year at that level--not impossible, but you have to be able to hang with 2nd years').

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back