A little freaked over the high bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My newly level 7 gymmie wont do her cast handstands on the high bars. She was fine in level 5 but now the whole hanstand thing gives her the creeps. This is wierd because she loves them on the low bar and holds them. She doesnt even like giants on them anymore because, get this, when she reaches the top of the giant she is in a handstand. Anything i can do to help her?
P.s. She is turning 10 in 4 days so she isnt really little

It's a long way down from up there! Maybe she isn't comfortable with what she should do if she misses it?!?! My dd who was 10 at Level 7 didn't like when she went over on a cast handstand on the highbar because she always felt uncertain how to fall. Hang in there - this too shall pass.

this is a common and ordinary fear that comes up from time to time. and by the way, she is "little". her coach SHOULD know what to do for this. if not, give a shout.:)

Maybe it's like the high dive at the pool that did not seem so high until I was up on top of it! LOL! I am sure it is kind of scary because even if you are told how to fall correctly it is different than actually doing it. My daughter is almost 10 and is just starting to work giants and has never fallen from the bars (knock on wood). Some of her teammates who have had falls are a little more hesitant to work on some of the bigger skills though. Has your daughter fallen before? Good luck with this!

She is never fallen but has seen people fall. When i said not really little, i meant not really little as in not super little. She does NOT know how to fall aparently. So....how?

I think this is best left to the coach to teach and have the girls practice while spotted. Essentially, it appears that one wants to fall as flat as possible, spreading out the impact and not leaving anything where is can twist or bend the wrong way.

Yeah I would say her coach should definitely tell her the correct way to fall. If she has no idea what to do it will be scarier!!

I doubt she can be comfortable with how to fall in less than a week. It took dd a solid month over the pit to feel comfortable with the cast handstand - knowing which side of the bar she was going to come down on and knowing what to do with herself in each of those situations. Then it took many more attempts to be comfortable coming down out of the handstand and just back to the bar, coming down to clear hip, swinging down to giant or flyaway, etc. She said at first her mind raced at the quick decision-making...

Anyway, Dunno might have specific advice, but I think like many other things, it is simply going to take time and more experience/repetitions.

over the pit. fluff the foam up as high as possible. coach spots her to a cast handstand. then has her fall out of them every possible way and let her fall into loose foam.

over the pit. fluff the foam up as high as possible. coach spots her to a cast handstand. then has her fall out of them every possible way and let her fall into loose foam.

Yep. That. She's not going to get over the fear of falling and be able to instinctively know what to do that quickly. She needs time to feel the skill out and learn how to react in different situations. Until she has confidence in her spatial awareness, she's going to continue to struggle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back