WAG Anyone in Orlando learning the new routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Only got to speak to our coach about it briefly yesterday, but her comments echo what many of you have said - the dance is more difficult, partly because it's so fast. She says the tumbling is going to be the easiest part for our gymnasts! She also mentioned that the music isn't made for each move to hit a specific note - it's more like the gymnast has to reach a certain part of the routine by a certain part of the music, but in between she doesn't have to hit certain notes - that will allow for some things to be done more quickly or slowly, depending on the relative skills of the gymnast. At least, this is for levels 4 and 5. There's also no leeway in the dance moves - they have to be done precisely as scripted. So although the music may encourage a strong dancer to add personal touches or flourishes (because of its fluidity), she will be penalized if she does.

Fabulous...I'm hearing that everything is going the way of ballet and dancing, which is what my dd hates. She originally took ballet when she was 3/4 and walked out of the recital and said "i will NEVER do that again" and that's when she started gymnastics (and here we are 6 years later). If she realizes it's more ballet now, she'll freak. Sigh. :(

Finally got to see the routines at the gym! Oh. My. God. So happy for DD going up to optionals.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Having one daughter in compulsories and one in optionals, the trend for the U.S. does seem to be going to stronger dance. The gym my daughter trains at is heavily involved at the national level. My optional level daughter has been told that her floor routine and I'm assuming that her beam routine also has to include a lot more dance. The days of tumbling and posing seem to be numbered.

I think it's the direction USAG wants to see ALL routines head- including Optional. Gyms that already have ballet training built into their schedule are going to have easier time of it. Did you see some of the "dance" (and I use that term very lightly) the US Women's gymnasts were doing at the Olympics. I think it's needed- power tumbling is fun to watch, requires a lot of skill, is incredibly hard, etc. but there was very little "artistic" dance/ballet type moves that were incredible-- that my untrained eye saw.

I'm dying to see the new routines! Unfortunately, we are at a very small gym and our coaches have to wait for their DVD's to arrive in the mail :( Thinking I made the right move to sign Dd up for a dance class this summer, although it's more of a hip hop/jazz class. I'm assuming many other girls out there are like Dd and do gymnastics because they could never make it through a ballet class!! She definitely cringed when I told her the new routines have lots of ballet in them!

Ha! Finally some good news for my DD. They didn't start learning the new routines yet but coaches told them they involve more dance and I guess she was the only one happy about it :) She asked me today is there is any chance the kip will also be taken out (after hearing about the FHC - her previous nemesis..)..

My optional level daughter has been told that her floor routine and I'm assuming that her beam routine also has to include a lot more dance.

My DD's optional team started working on certain "dance" & balance components from the compulsory routines yesterday. They still need to know them and I'm assuming will include certain parts in their routines.

I'm dying to see the new routines! Unfortunately, we are at a very small gym and our coaches have to wait for their DVD's to arrive in the mail :( Thinking I made the right move to sign Dd up for a dance class this summer, although it's more of a hip hop/jazz class. I'm assuming many other girls out there are like Dd and do gymnastics because they could never make it through a ballet class!! She definitely cringed when I told her the new routines have lots of ballet in them!
One of the jumps in the level 5 floor, starts in 5th, straddle jump, landing in 5 th position. My dd who does ballet, and naturally turned out feet, had no trouble. The rest of the group, well, it wasn't coming as easily.

Only got to speak to our coach about it briefly yesterday, but her comments echo what many of you have said - the dance is more difficult, partly because it's so fast. She says the tumbling is going to be the easiest part for our gymnasts! She also mentioned that the music isn't made for each move to hit a specific note - it's more like the gymnast has to reach a certain part of the routine by a certain part of the music, but in between she doesn't have to hit certain notes - that will allow for some things to be done more quickly or slowly, depending on the relative skills of the gymnast. At least, this is for levels 4 and 5. There's also no leeway in the dance moves - they have to be done precisely as scripted. So although the music may encourage a strong dancer to add personal touches or flourishes (because of its fluidity), she will be penalized if she does.
I don't know why it would penalize dancers, dancers listen to music all the time, and strong dancers will be better in tuned to the music. They will know exactly what to do and where to do it in a routine, based on the music. In fact all dances choreographed to music are very precise. A better dancer will have better body flow, within the constraints of the music.

One of the jumps in the level 5 floor, starts in 5th, straddle jump, landing in 5 th position. My dd who does ballet, and naturally turned out feet, had no trouble. The rest of the group, well, it wasn't coming as easily.
:eek: Whoa! Should be interesting to watch them learn that one!!

DD's gym does a dance session on Friday afternoons, though it is more jazz/hip hop than ballet. DD also did jazz for a year and is good at certain types of dance moves. Her floor music is very upbeat and hoppy, and will suit the jazz and hip hop moves much more than ballet. I am hoping we can find lots of neat little dance moves that she is good at to throw in there.

I'm looking forward to, eventually, seeing routines that aren't as choppy. Even the natural dancers looked unfluid (now a word) doing the old compulsaries IMHO.

/going back to trampoline now...

Actually, the text states that they may take off from 1st, 3rd or 5th, but that it must be turned out, not parallel. It may be that particular coach's preference for them to be in 5th. Also, per the text, they are allowed to land turned out or with the feet side by side. Again, each individual coach/gym may have their own preferences.

The turned out take off is the same for level 4. Level 3 must take off from turned out 3rd or 5th. (First is not an option for them).

I don't know why it would penalize dancers, dancers listen to music all the time, and strong dancers will be better in tuned to the music. They will know exactly what to do and where to do it in a routine, based on the music. In fact all dances choreographed to music are very precise. A better dancer will have better body flow, within the constraints of the music.

It won't penalize dancers - it will penalize dancers who add extra flourishes.

Bog, do you complete that exercise? I wish we did that here in the US. What would the corresponding level be here in the US?

No, in Quebec we use a very different system to the UK. Our program for devo is called Defi, google gymnastique and Defi, you will find vids of it. There are six levels, lots of basics and individual skills and even dance components. It is a good system.

I think the GB grade 4 is about L6. But I am sure someone will know better.

It won't penalize dancers - it will penalize dancers who add extra flourishes.

This isn't really true because there are more parts of the choreography that state "arms optional" than ever before. Before there has only been an option on ending poses, now there is an option during parts of the routine in 4 and 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back