Coaches back walkover back handspring connection

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipflopsalto

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone have a video of a great back walkover back handspring connection on beam? (level 7) And a video of a close connection but no credit, I am struggling trying to decide whether or not one of my gymnasts is connecting, she did not get credit last meet, but I was not there so I didn't see exactly how she did it that day.

Thanks!

video log into facebook, and you may have to "like" our page to view this. Or just wait for someone else to post one.

here's a good one with NO deduction:

and here's one WITH deduction. the hesitation is very subtle:

coachp's is good too. :)

Does anyone have a video of a great back walkover back handspring connection on beam? (level 7) And a video of a close connection but no credit, I am struggling trying to decide whether or not one of my gymnasts is connecting, she did not get credit last meet, but I was not there so I didn't see exactly how she did it that day.

Thanks!

Wish it were that easy..... unfortunately, gymnastics is a VERY subjective sport as you know. If I only had a buck for every judge I've had that very discussion with. There is the obvious black and white, but there is also that nebulous grey area where it really is a judgment call. The judges are asked to always rule in favor of the gymnast when in doubt, so we as coaches and parents hope that whatever they consider 'directly connected', or not, is applied fairly across the board.

I have no doubt the little girl in pink in the second video would not get "credit" for the series SR at any USAG meet. But she might get a deduction for the body position. I highly doubt they wouldn't give her the series though. I understand that technically the "punching" action was not all the way there, which is a technical observation that would cause problems when moving on to a series with a salto. But her body keeps moving and it definitely does. No arms down (actually the first series drops her arms more) and she DID take off immediately even if she plied through the takeoff. I would have to disagree the series is broken.

They have to take off when their second foot hits the beam and not swing down their arms between the elements. If it's questionable then it's probably broken.

My gymnast has a very slow sit looks a lot like the second video, I was concerned with the dropping of her arms but I think what she is doing with her arms is ok.

Make it easier by doing it the "hard way" many kids try to avoid.

The tempo and rhythm of a bwo-bhs on beam needs to closely resemble that of the same series done on the floor with no regard to staying on a line. That's the standard that should be used to measure what is and isn't done right. That standard accomplishes two things......

First it gives the judges no reason to take a connection deduction. Secondly, the smart way to learn the skill is to do it as it comes naturally to them. Really, that's the easiest way for them to move through the sequences of the series, and that's the approach that will give the best and easiest chance for a safe and successful learning experience.

For those of you who may believe that it's better to go easy on the kids by letting them adjust the pace and rhythm, I'll suggest you consider this. A beam skill that's traveling in a straight line will continue to do so until a new force comes along to disrupt it's happy journey down the length of the beam. The most frequent of those forces are slowing or stopping, and speeding up or starting.

So teach the kids to get a straight start and then beg them to continue the pace of the skill until they have to finish. So simplify the skill by giving just two things to do instead of four....... one start and one stop instead of two starts and two stops.

Gymnastics..... it's never what it seems.

My gymnast has a very slow sit looks a lot like the second video, I was concerned with the dropping of her arms but I think what she is doing with her arms is ok.

If the arms drop it's a problem. The second series is not broken. It just isn't. It might have body position errors (personally I don't think it's that significant in the grand scheme of things) but her body is still moving and shows immediate takeoff. I even showed this post to a judge who agreed that "of course you would give that connection" and also said the same thing about the arms being more of a problem on the first one. This was after I posted btw. I am not a judge but I have never seen a series like that NOT get connection. It's much more unambiguous.

The rule for connection now is either "connect" or "no connect" not "connect with rhythm error". Personally I'm not sure about that but ultimately it doesn't matter because the best routines connect. So whatever. In order to comment any further I'd have to see a video of the kid in question but the examples given in this thread have not been illustrative of anything at all. My suggestion is show some other coaches if the reaction is "eh..." Then most likely you have a broken series under the "connect or bust" rules.

I think the issue, based on re-reading now, is that some people may not understand the current rules about crediting backward acro series on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back