WAG Beam Full Turns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I always step backwards when I do my full turn on the beam. It is like I get 3/4 of the way around and then step back. Any tips?

Ah those are my favourite! I used to mess them up for YEARS, it was getting seriously ridiculous.
Ballet helped a lot. Are you starting in 4th position? Be sure you don't use your arms to throw you off the vertical and turn UP into the ceiling.

Think of pulling up and creating a straight line from head to toe instead of worrying about the spin/turn. If you are stepping back (falling back) you could be leaning back on your turn. Many kids lean back, tighten their shoulders and grip their arms thinking this is a way to control the turn. Or they do this because they are afraid of the turn. Try to find your center and holding it by going on passé and releve and hold it there for 8 seconds. You have to be still and cannot wobble. If you are not completing the turn but have control of the turn, do not use more force on your arms to get you around. You will lose control of the turn. Instead spot the end of the beam to help you get around. A single turn take very little effort. The more effort you put into it, the more you will control of the turn.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back