WAG beaming

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a pretty precise gymnast, so landing skills on a line is not too hard for me.

However, the only thing I have done on beam so far is a Handstand - BHS step out.
I can't to front handsprings on a line and too much walkovers give me back pain. But I actually can do a back tuck on a floor line exactly and also a side aerial. I and it every time on a floor line and on a small, padded, 8 inch beam.

Why is a back tuck "only" a C, while a side aerial is a D? Also, a BHS - BHS Series I find pretty hard!

I don't want to overestimate my skills , but just thinking about it makes me feel like this.

What are your thoughts about those skills on beam?

How hard are BHS, standing Back Tucks and Side Aerials?

BHS might start out hard, but they get super easy with practice. BHS-BHS is a little more complicated. I suggest low beam, then slightly higher beam, and then high beam, or however your coach says. Aerials, if you can do them on the line good, I would start working them on low beam. I couldn't help you with he tuck back. Hope the rest helps! :)

Before I did my backtuck on beam I thought of part of the back tuck and pictured it perfectly. At first, it`s necessary to set up straight, than tuck your knees and land.

different parts of the skills are difficult for different people. My DD is also a very precise gymnast - she still struggles with the vestibular aspect of connecting 2 backwards elements - like BHS-BHS. Has a lovely BT on low beam and moving to high beam, and is working FHS-BHS as her series because of the vestibular stuff. Her side aerial on floor line also very precise. For some gymnasts the connection isn't as scary as others but they aren't as controlled so have to learn the control to land the skill - you may be like my DD?

Her HC has said that she really wants her to just be connecting "something" regularly to keep the feeling of continued movement while doing tons of connected back elements on floor beam and then low beam - we anticipate this being a multi-year project.

Find the elements that are fun and progressive for you and then slowly attack the others - at this level different skills work for different kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back