Parents Broken hand update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As some of you may recall, my dd broke two bones in her hand in March doing a flick on the beam. Today she got her cast off. Hurray! She goes back to the gym on Monday. She has been doing conditioning since her injury, along with some floor and beam. She will have to ease into it. She is worried about the loss of strength. Well, at least I don't have to write her homework for her anymore. She couldn't hold a pencil with her cast.

MamaofEnS

I would definitely look into physical therapy. My daughter is recovering from a wrist injury and along with the conditioning physical therapy has really helped. She has her cast off for 2 weeks and she can do all her routines, she has doubled her grip strenghth in 1 week. I was also very surprised that it is covered by my insurance.

Glad that she is finally out of the cast! I bet she is thrilled about that. I agree with PGM about the physical therapy. One of DDs teammates has parents that are physical therapists and they gave us some exercises to do and DD has been doing them. I think it is helping as well. She didn't lose much because she wasn't in an actual cast and could move her fingers, etc, but I feel better having her do it.

Lots of luck to her getting back into the swing of things!

Well that is great news, lovely that she can get back into the gym. The PT is a great thing, they lose a lot when in a cast and building the strength up will help preven t reinjury!

Definitely agree about the PT, you will be surprised how quickly the muscles rebuild and the PT knows exactly what to do! GL... ;)

Thanks everyone,

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but how do I get her physical therapy? The doctor didn't recommend it, so I don't know how to proceed.

Thanks,

MamaofEnS

Here in Canada we have sports threrapy clinics, you call and get an appointment. If you have insurance it is usually covered. You might ask at you gym if they have someone they recommend.

I would talk again to the doctor and request it, my daughters doctor wrote a prescription, then my insurance covered it.Does the doctor know and understand that your daughter is a competitive gymnast? I think that is really important because I have seen other girls from our gym go to doctors who did not recommend them PT and their recovery is much longer. My daughter is going on 3 weeks of having her cast removed and she is back to doing everything getting ready for States and has even been uptraining so it has worked wonders. She has also been pain free. I got really luckly because another parent whose child had a similar injury recommended that my daughter go to PT and like I said her doctor is a sports medicine orth and understands competitive gymnastics. Good luck with your daughter.

Thanks for the advice. The doctor knows she is a competitive gymnast, but doesn't really understand what that means. Does anyone outside the sport? Anyway, I have heard from other parents at the gym about PT's that they like, but I have limited insurance, and am worried it won't be covered. So far, the gym has been allowing her to recover slowly, and not pushing her. We are both relieved by that.

MamaofEnS

Yea we lucked out about the PT we are using for dd! she knows that she is a gymnast and even thinks its odd that she is soo stiff considering!

anyhow sending healing fairies off to your dd!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back