WAG Cast Handstand Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does any one have any tips for cast handstands? I am afraid of leaning over the bar because I feel like I will just fall right over the bar. Any drill/tips/conditioning that I could do? It's one of my goals for the end of November so all advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

I know where you're coming from, believe me. I'm actually helping a level 7 overcome that fear as we speak at my gym. Cast handstands are tricky to get, but easy to keep. Couple things to keep in mind:
1- Yes, you will need to lean your shoulders over the bar to where you're uncomfortable. However, without this you will not get to handstand. (Not strong enough? Press to
handstands are GREAT for this)
2- Butt first. Whatever you do, don't lead with your stomach! Not only does 6W4734G295SCQ make you arch, but you'll fall over if you are properly leaning with your shoulders! (;
3- A cast handstand is literally a press to handstand, just faster. If your gym has big red blocks, get a floor bar and space it approximately one hand width away from the block, and do press to handstands against the block, starting from that standing straddle position. The block is purely for support so that if you're uncomfortable leaning with your shoulders, it'll catch you. It's a great drill!
4- Practice makes perfect. These things require turn after turn, don't be afraid to go above and beyond the assignment!

I had the same problem for 4 years until my new coach helped me. This is what I did to help my cast.
Put an 8inch or two under a low bar so that you can land on it. Then do cast put your feet on the bar fall to your back on the other side. Then start jumping off your feet and land on your back. Remember not to let go of the bar. Eventually you can get where you don't have ro put tour feet on the bar anymore and you can just baby cast over to your back. After that start doing them with ankle weights on your ankles. Then move to drop kip cast overs and eventually normal kip cast overs. Then you're ready to try a kip cast handstand. This is what I did along with a lot of hollow shaping drills like press handstands on the floor (I had to counteract 4 years of arching and doing a kip cast not-a-handstand wrong which thankfully you don't have to do). I hope this helps. :)

Does any one have any tips for cast handstands? I am afraid of leaning over the bar because I feel like I will just fall right over the bar. Any drill/tips/conditioning that I could do? It's one of my goals for the end of November so all advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
Work on plange drills on floor parallettes bars, and plange holds on low bar ... put a mat behind the bar and work on casting all the way up and over so you can learn to bail out of your handstand to get rid of the obvious problem "Fear" during that process learn proper technique for pushing the hs up and locking it in. Work on core conditioning and basic shapes (that's always)

Even if they are not afraid it's a great drill to get them to start leading with there hips, also to get there shoulders to lean over the bar. It's fairly simple. Take a floor bar and place it up on a larger resi (possibly with a sturdy 8 on it) then take a mini tramp and get them to bounce up to hand stand then fall to there back. That's just for the ones who are scared of going over. Eventually move out the resi and place the floor bar on a larger spotting block with only an 8 behind, if they possibly do go over, but in force that they have to get to handstand, stay hollow, and come back to the trampoline instead of going over. Hope everything goes well, and good luck!

I have the same problem! If your do hit handstand and fall over do you think it is better to turn off or to just arch off??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back