WAG Choosing floor music - parental veto?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
DD came home with some songs to choose from. I'm indifferent to most of them, but one of them I really don't care for (both parents are in agreement on this), and it seems to be high on DD's list. I'll wind up squirming in my seat every time she does floor if she picks that one.

Should I just let it go?

What makes you not care for it? Is it too young/too old for your DD? (Take into account how long her gym makes her keep floor music for, will see be told old for it in x years?) If your DD and her coach both know that your DD can do a great floor routine to that music and your DD loves it, I'd say let her go with it. It'd be interesting to hear her coach's opinion on the music. My mom didn't like my first floor music and neither did my coach and neither one told me. I wish they had because I was stuck with a terrible floor music for two years and the judges could tell I didn't like it after about the first meet, so I didn't score as well as I could have if I enjoyed my music. Good luck :)

I would say that if you took an instant dislike to it then maybe others will too and it might not be the way to go. We are having great floor music debates now as Pink and Fluffy doesn't like hers and is stuck with it till September. She is going through all my eighties music and picking out stuff she likes in preparation.

The particular piece we don't like is some strange combination of Eastern European classical music, a Mexican hat dance, a square dance, and a techno rhythm track. It's bizarre and corny. It sounds like what would be played behind some riotous slapstick comedy routine set on a rural south Texas ranch.

The selections were provided by the coach/choreographer, so I take that to mean it's considered suitable. I don't really want to interfere in the process, wasn't expecting that piece.

Say something if you think it doesn't suit your dd's personality or style. I'm not keen on dd's music, and didn't think it suited her, but as it was her first 'own' routine and music I let it go and I wish I hadn't because I think she's growing out of it already and she will probably keep it until next year. It's noticeable, I'll give it that. So when I was drifting off in a world of my own at her comp and not ready with the camera, hadn't noticed her walk onto the floor (it's a long morning session) it got my attention. I thought oh crikey that's dd's music and dropped my camera. Smoothly done!

I only have stepped in if I thought it was too sexy when my DD was younger or if the music just seemed to boring. You are the parent and if there are other choices before her I would steer dd towards other music items. I would let the coach know too that you are against that music. Its your money paying for this, YOU are the Parent and should have some say, and they do have other options to choose from.

If I thought it was inappropriate I would step in and say something. Otherwise, if I just didn't like it (I don't love my daughters) I would be honest and let her know it's not my favorite. I wouldn't say I hate it though.

I would also think about the judging community...they seem to be mostly (not all) middle aged women , so if I thought my daughter's music choice was grating on ME, I would think it would be less than pleasing when watched by those who count...

The particular piece we don't like is some strange combination of Eastern European classical music, a Mexican hat dance, a square dance, and a techno rhythm track. It's bizarre and corny. It sounds like what would be played behind some riotous slapstick comedy routine set on a rural south Texas ranch.

Wow! I want to hear THAT! Do you have a link?

The selections were provided by the coach/choreographer, so I take that to mean it's considered suitable. I don't really want to interfere in the process, wasn't expecting that piece.

That just sounds bizarre! I understand why you wouldn't want to hear that for the next few seasons. :) Maybe just remind her that she will be hearing this piece of music every time she practices floor and what she thinks is cute now may drive her crazy by next season. We just got DD's floor music and I have to give her coach credit- it will fit DD well. I'm definitely relieved. Good luck!

I also think playing up the two year thing is important. My daughter is making her list and I am so grateful that she is very choosy and that her coach has already told her that she has final call on all music choices in the gym and to not expect to compete to anything that isn't "age appropriate".

Personally, as much as I'm all about letting DD make her own choices in this sport, I think I would have to veto something that really annoyed me THAT much.

I faced with the same type of problem. DD h=has taken an instant liking to Energyms's Under the Sea. Her face just lights up and she bounces around when she hears it so I think she would do well with it but I keep thinkin do I really want to listen to that ALL season! Luckily choerographer has the final say. We just give a list of 5-7 choices that wouldn't drive a crazy!

That actually sounds pretty awesome to me. Got a link?

Keep in mind: she's the one doing the routine. Whether or not you like the music is far less important than whether or not she likes it.

That actually sounds pretty awesome to me. Got a link?
They were given to us on unlabeled CD's. I know from the voice overlay that it is track 3414 from whoever sells it, but I don't know who that is.

Keep in mind: she's the one doing the routine. Whether or not you like the music is far less important than whether or not she likes it.
Yeah, I'm resigned to that fact.

I think there's an important difference to make between not liking the music and specifically not liking the music for your daughter. I don't know that you should say anything if you just dislike the style of music or this song in particular - it's your DD's gymnastics, and I think that letting her choose her music (with some boundaries, obviously) contributes in helping her take ownership of gymnastics and can only be beneficial in the long term. However, if you think your daughter will grow to dislike her music, or that it doesn't fit her personality, or that it's inappropriate, then by all means, say something. Several posters' past experiences corroborate the fact that sometimes, parents do know best, and that they're in the best position to keep their child from making a mistake when the child doesn't have the maturity to make an informed decision. It's hard to tell from your previous posts in which camp you are - I think that once you've identified why you don't like the music, the right way of action should become much more obvious :)

If you said something to her about not liking it, would it change anything??? Would she still have the music and now knows your displeasure with it? If the coach/choreographer picked it out for her, will the song selection change if you say something? those are the questions I'd ask myself...

Now my dd is getting a new routine this summer. I have absolutely no say in her music, nor does my dd. The HC, who is also the choreographer picks it out and I will hear it for the 1st time when I'm taping her after she gets the routine. It has always been this way and I prefer it.

If you said something to her about not liking it, would it change anything??? Would she still have the music and now knows your displeasure with it?
She's independent enough to pick it even if she knows we don't like it, and I'm glad that she's willing to do so. If I get a chance, I'll ask the coach/choreographer what she thinks about it being too corny and that having an impact on judging (I'm not the only one that thinks this, as DD reports that another coach made silly, mocking dance motions when it was played in the gym). It sounds like the soundtrack to a comedy routine, not a gymnastics routine.

Surely if your dd has come home with a selection of music options and by playing them to you she is asking for your opinion. So if there was one you loved would you say 'I love that one', same as there is one you don't like, so I'd just say 'I don't like that one much'.
Yes it's up to her to make her choice but if she is asking your opinion then give it (without being totally negative, lol, just like not telling someone how much you hate their ex just incase they get back together, lol) and leave it up to her.
If she doesn't want your opinion guess you have to lump it if she chooses the one you don't like and just be glad you won't be in the gym everyday listening to it, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back