WAG Does this mean I'm crazy? Running and track idea

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Midwestmommy

Proud Parent
I have been thinking about posts I read on here recently about running and vaulting. As I was driving by the high school track this morning, I thought to myself.....

My daughter is not the slowest or fastest runner. But the only time she really runs much is the conditioning run before practice, and during vault training.

When I was in track, we did lots of interval training on the track. I thought to myself....huh......

Maybe I should stop here occasionally and jog around the track myself and have my daughter do a 4 40 yard sprints at 75% and 4 40 yard sprints at 100%. Maybe it would help her vaulting to actually sprint once in a while outside the gym.

Does that make me officially crazy? Is it the stupidest idea ever? Coaches and parents are welcome to comment!!

I could use the jogging, I need to lose a few pounds. And no I don't think I'm a CGM otherwise. I only watch practice occasionally, etc. I try not to ask her too much about practice.

A few times could help but beyond that coul cause problems. A typical vault run will use 11 to 13 strides, so training to help for that distance would be best.

Hello! I think that running never hurts anyone, but I feel that you may want to approach this slightly differently if you really want to benefit her gymnastics. First, like iwannacoach has mentioned, a vault run is usually 9-13 steps. If she really trains her sprint to 40 meters, that is the distance she will learn to accelerate to full speed over. However, she needs to accelerate to full speed in about 20-25 meters, so training sprints for that distance may be best.

Secondly, it may be beneficial to train running at full, or if not full then 80% effort for about a minute to 1.5 minutes. This can really help build up endurance for floor routines. ( You may not realize it, but after level 6 or so floor routines get REALLY tiring, and having enough energy left for that final pass is hard.) Or, even better, do high intensity interval training- for example: sprint 15 seconds, 5 second rest, jumping jacks 15 seconds, 5 second rest then box jumps 15 seconds and then 5 second rest. You can pick different things, but this is also really helpful for gymnasts. :)

Get her to sit and time your laps and I put money down that she will get bored and join you, or get bored and start doing presses and that all the while you will lose 5 pounds!

"Get her to sit and time your laps and I put money down that she will get bored and join you, or get bored and start doing presses and that all the while you will lose 5 pounds!"

That was the best suggestion ever! I mentioned it to her and she wants to bring her (huge) white board to track my progress. Like a billboard. Still giggling. Serves me right!

"Get her to sit and time your laps and I put money down that she will get bored and join you, or get bored and start doing presses and that all the while you will lose 5 pounds!"

That was the best suggestion ever! I mentioned it to her and she wants to bring her (huge) white board to track my progress. Like a billboard. Still giggling. Serves me right!

Ha! That's awesome. Good idea :)

400's for adults are good for conditioning for floor routines since they take roughly 55 to 1:10 for a good runner and longer at slower paces. For a child, a 250-300 might be better since they run slower with a shorter stride and their routines are rarely 90 seconds.

10 times across and back down the floor works well since that's speed changes and 260 meters. Really we are just focusing on time domain of the routine and shuttle runs are more difficult than one track lap.

If her legs are weak, she needs to increase her mass specific force as in how much force she puts against the ground and reacts with per step /BW. Basically squats, deadlift more plyos and sprints. Make strong legs, make quick legs through sprinting and jumping.

I only see the need for nothing more than a 25m sprint. 15-20 is fine for most juvenile gymnasts as they rarely use more than that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back