Parents First World Problem.... :-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
What ponytail holder do you or your daughter use? What actual brand? What material is it?

I want something with the grip of a vise! I guess since DD is doing more twisting and double flipping and just flipping in general, the forces on her body are getting the better of her hair accessories. We've pretty much abandoned finishing bows and headband because the pit has eaten so many of them but now just keeping her hair tidy and up through a 4 or 5 hour practice is proving challenging.

We've used the doubled up hair tie strategy for the past couple of years but it's just not getting it done anymore and DD frequently comes out of the gym with her brush to have me or another mom get her hair "right" again. She's rather particular about her hair (if you've ever read All Chalked Up by Jennifer Sey and remember the short passage about her hair, you get my daughter) and finds it distracting during tumbling when the hair tie loosens enough that her hair is hanging down.

And for the record, yes I do realize that in the grand theme of things, this is stupid, but you know how 10 year olds are.......

Issue are all relative! ;) That being said I have the same issue when I run (hate loose floppy pony!) Goody (that standard brand?) has a style with rubber grippers on the inside. Keeps the pony steady, but is a beast to take out. The 'good hair' girls at gym use triple layers. Pea has wispy fine baby hair that never stays put. She does like the topsy tail (sp?) style, it seems to hold a bit better then the regular pony. Hope that helps!

DD has thick curly hair - if we don't french braid it its all over the place by the end of warm ups. 2 french braids, each with tie, then one tie for the rest all together (or 2 for meets) - still frazzled after pit tumbling, but at least she doesn't look like a street urchin

I guess I'm just going to have to break down and french braid every day. I was trying to avoid this since like most gym families, we are always running and rushing to get where we need to be. But yeah, I'm done with the street urchin look.

We use the goody ouchless ones usually, and sometimes have to triple them up. I wet her hair down and use spray gel before pulling it back. We also use snap clips to tame flyaways or pieces that are just too short.

I can't remember the brand but it is one of the big ones and they are silicone. They are the only ones that keep my crazy thick long hair tight and I can't handle my hair loose for some reason maybe it's because my mom tortured me as a kid with tight enough ponies that they pulled my eyes back lol. They work well for dd with thin fine hair as well. They do tend to just randomly break in your hair occasionally though so I would say put two in or have an extra on hand. They also can rip out hair bad if you don't unwrap them rather than just pulling them out of your hair. For my hair I also like to use the headbands that are the same width as a hair tie.

I can't remember the brand but it is one of the big ones and they are silicone. They are the only ones that keep my crazy thick long hair tight and I can't handle my hair loose for some reason maybe it's because my mom tortured me as a kid with tight enough ponies that they pulled my eyes back lol. They work well for dd with thin fine hair as well. They do tend to just randomly break in your hair occasionally though so I would say put two in or have an extra on hand. They also can rip out hair bad if you don't unwrap them rather than just pulling them out of your hair. For my hair I also like to use the headbands that are the same width as a hair tie.
These work amazingly for girls that are not tender headed. My dd has borrowed a couple here and there. I have bought a few packages, but my dd is so tender headed that I have to cut them out of her hair. It feels too wasteful for my budget especially when I have found a store that sells goody brand hair ties for $1 per package AND she can reuse these. I have found that I can get the ponytail much tighter straight out of the shower.

We use Goody brand StayPut elastics. DDs hair is just really, really thick, and these are the ones that do not slip out at all. They have almost like a tread on them, that really grips onto the hair. They are so tight, however, that younger DD (who is tender headed) can't wear them because they give her a headache from being too tight.

I also do the Scunci rubber no slip grip bands. However I only use them for meets when her hair absolutely has to stay. They can be tough to get out without ripping out hair.

We have resorted to hairspray before practice. Otherwise. My girls look like they stuck their finger in a light socket.

Another advocate of the silicone ones here! Although they are horrible to take out, they really do hold the hair brilliantly.

Having said that, there are a couple of sisters in our squad who always have neat hair. Their mum puts 3-4 thick, no metal, hair bands in whilst their hair is wet and that is it - by the time they arrive at gym, their hair is dry, but it's going nowhere. As far as I know she doesn't use any products and the girls wear their hair like this all day, through school and it stays in at gym too! They only have pony tails usually although the younger one went through a stage of wearing a bun - her mum did her normal pony, then did 3 separate plaits and twisted them into a bun with lots of pins and a scrunchy. That stayed in pretty well too.

The doughnut buns, unless done well, don't stay in at all - in fact I think a lot fall out before the warm up is even over!

I despise the silicone ones, as they tear up my DD's hair. I promise that if you do a French braid for every practice, within two weeks you'll be really quick at it! (Spoken as someone who once made money by braiding horse tails for shows.)

Reactions: sce
I always do a small pony first with the front (bang area) hair, and then gather it all in one big pony. It keeps all those front and side hairs from slipping out and getting in her face. I wet it all a bit, use two thick elastics for the main pony, and then use a bit of hairspray all around. Doesn't stay 100% but does pretty well.

The GK (or similar) scrunchies work well when you wrap them around about 3 times. Doing a 'loop bun' with a scrunchie should keep her hair put too.

I despise the silicone ones, as they tear up my DD's hair. I promise that if you do a French braid for every practice, within two weeks you'll be really quick at it! (Spoken as someone who once made money by braiding horse tails for shows.)

And hair damage is something that I DO worry about. Just doing ponytails 5 days a week takes a toll on her hair and I was wondering about damage with those silicone ones.

I'm not a slow braider but certainly room to improve my speed so I guess there is always that route.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back