Giants for the first time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mumof2gymnasts

So proud of my dd, she's 6 and did giants on her own yesterday for the first time, unfortunately it wasn't in the gym, but at home on her bar in the garden, she has been told that the bar isn't for doing giants on, just to practise swings and other bits, but I was so excited that I couldn't tell her off! I don't watch her train so didnt expect her to be close to doing them yet. Just hoping now that she does them in the gym as well as it's the only thing she needed for compulsory 5

Got it her for Xmas last year from amazon. It just cements into the ground.

No it was £50-£55. She didnt like it to start with cos it does move abit, but she loves it now and does way to much on it!

That's brill , we raised a floor beam to the competition height to help my dd with confidence . My husband made the legs himself ! ( he can be quite useful at times ) lol
Good luck with her moves xx

Thank you. Mine puts her beam on chairs to make it higher!

Sorry to be the party breaker here, but I honestly think that letting your daughter do giants on a home bar is dangerous. And doing skill on a beam that's put on chairs to make it higher... is an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

If no accident happens (which I sincerely hope), she might get bad habits by training skills without the supervision of a coach.

My DD's coach would kill me and her if she found out she was doing giants on a backyard bar! We have a pull up bar in the yard, but she's limited to pullovers, BHC, and kips.

It's awesome she got her giants, but so dangerous.

How exciting to get her giants, but eeek! This freaks me out!! There are just so many things that can go wrong in a gym with all the right equipment & coaches, but in a back yard without those things? Scary!

I do hope her coaches will work with her on the giants at the gym though. That's really awesome!

Sorry to be the party breaker here, but I honestly think that letting your daughter do giants on a home bar is dangerous. And doing skill on a beam that's put on chairs to make it higher... is an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

If no accident happens (which I sincerely hope), she might get bad habits by training skills without the supervision of a coach.

I do agree with you on this , I got rid of the trampoline for that reason !
My dd too wants to try everything at home that she learns in the gym and at one point , I must admit I did push her too ( thinking I would be helping ) but now I step back and explain to dd that although I would love to help her and it's great she's so passionate , that in fact I could be doing more harm than good .
Whenever we use her high beam , she uses only to practice at home what she is great at in the gym x

I totally agree and had told her not to, but she didnt listen and did it, like I said I was to excited to tell her off, but have spoken to her today and she hasn't done it at all. I also spoke to her coach today and told her what she'd done cos I knew she would tell her. As for the beam on chairs, she doesn't do as much as she is capable off on it, her dismount for her comp in a few weeks is a front somersault, but she doesn't do that at home, she can also flick on the beam, but won't do that at home either, even is the beam is on the floor. Although she's only 6, she very good at knowing what she should do at home and what she shouldn't

Have you ever seen a kid peel on a tap swing or giant? I think that all home bars sets should come with a required video of a few of these events.

As for the beam, a few years ago, my daughter broke her arm badly enough to require two surgeries and three months completely off anything weight-bearing. She did it in the gym falling on a fairly simple skill that she had done many times before, while her coach was watching. Bad as it was, thank goodness it was only her arm, as she fell onto the mats. I think the raised home beam is a very bad idea.

I'm sorry to be so negative. It sounds like your daughter is very talented and is progressing beautifully in the sport. But please take it from a parent who's had to deal with an injured child -- it's no walk in the park for the little one, and any joy you are taking now in her enthusiasm and progress now would be far outweighed by seeing her disappointment and sadness if she were to get hurt later. Even the most precocious six year old in the world simply does not have the knowledge and discretion to be able to make the call as to what's safe and what isn't.

Best wishes to your little one for what should be a very exciting and wonderful upcoming year!

Have you ever seen a kid peel on a tap swing or giant? I think that all home bars sets should come with a required video of a few of these events.

As for the beam, a few years ago, my daughter broke her arm badly enough to require two surgeries and three months completely off anything weight-bearing. She did it in the gym falling on a fairly simple skill that she had done many times before, while her coach was watching. Bad as it was, thank goodness it was only her arm, as she fell onto the mats. I think the raised home beam is a very bad idea.

I'm sorry to be so negative. It sounds like your daughter is very talented and is progressing beautifully in the sport. But please take it from a parent who's had to deal with an injured child -- it's no walk in the park for the little one, and any joy you are taking now in her enthusiasm and progress now would be far outweighed by seeing her disappointment and sadness if she were to get hurt later. Even the most precocious six year old in the world simply does not have the knowledge and discretion to be able to make the call as to what's safe and what isn't.

Best wishes to your little one for what should be a very exciting and wonderful upcoming year!

What's a "peel?"

Another one. Now, of course, a smaller child won't be able to get quite the same distance and velocity, but if she's going hard and fast enough to be doing a decent tap swing or a giant, she could surprise you by traveling more than just a few feet and executing a full salto before landing on her neck.

This was my first proper post on here and ok what she did was wrong and I've said I told her not to, if I hadn't have said where she did them the comments would be so different. Thought this would be a nice group to join, but clearly I was wrong so will no longer be returning to chalkbucket

This was my first proper post on here and ok what she did was wrong and I've said I told her not to, if I hadn't have said where she did them the comments would be so different. Thought this would be a nice group to join, but clearly I was wrong so will no longer be returning to chalkbucket

We are a nice group, but us coaches and the more experienced parents do not mess around about safety issues!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back