Gymnastics Injury - Who pays?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FYI: No injuries to report - this is a general question.

While having a sports conversation with some friends, the topic of liability and medical insurance came up. One friends son was injured recently while playing hockey for a local league. All of his medical expenses were covered 100% by the league - no questions asked. All the bills were sent to the league office directly, and were promptly paid by the Sport insurance carrier.

But another friend's DD went to the minor emergency room a few months back, after DD pealed off the high bar, injuring her arms/shoulders when she reached back during the fall. Parents (+ family insurance) paid, and they didn't think about asking the gym. This is our story too from DD's injury about a year ago. We just paid the bill without even thinking about it.

So my question is: Is it typical for the gym's insurance carrier be responsible for medical expenses that are directly related to the gym? What if an injury occured during a meet that was hosted by another gym or sponsor. Who's liable for the medical expenses? I don't recall ever signing anything that says we need to maintain medical insurance. (we do of course, but it's just not a prerequisite to competition. )

Hey you long time no see. How is the lovely Nastia these days?

In Quebec our gymnasts are affiliated with the Provincial Federation and are insured through their yearly fees. SO if an injury occurs in the gym they can claim up to $500 for PT etc. We have medicare here so all docs fees are covered by the government. However if the injury is of an overuse nature they are not covered, it is accident coverage only and is limited.

I would ask your gym what insurance they carry, by law they are required to. In the US it is hard to imagine that gyms wouldn't have massive insurance considering the litigious society and the lack of good health care coverage.

Good topic Tim.

When DD broke her arm at the gym we used our own insurance. Never occured to me to have the gym pay. Of course it was an accident, absolutely no negligence involved.

I think as long as it is just one of those things your own insurance should cover it. If there is an instance of negligence that results in injury, then the gyms insurance should be the one to pay.

It's very likely that I wouldn't bother for standard care, to do anything but use my own insurance (which is unaffiliated with the gym I work at) unless that was going to cause some significant hardship. The restriction of options, filing, etc..would just not make sense to me.

Now an even would be one thing...and in gymnastics as far as I know there is generally some coverage at events. The question is for routine care, does it even make sense to try and use this...probably not. The very, very few cases of catastrophic injuries in this country in the last decade have resulted in payouts though. Despite liability waivers.

here in the UK when yuu pay yur gymnastics membership to the club yuu

automatically pay insurance to the british gymnastics assosiation!

so i was wondering is it the same in the USA??

here in the UK when yuu pay yur gymnastics membership to the club yuu

automatically pay insurance to the british gymnastics assosiation!

so i was wondering is it the same in the USA??

It sounds like the UK is like Canada, probably because they both have a state supported health care system.

I've had 4 major injuries during the time I have done gymnastics. I pay for my injuries myself, through my own private health insurance. The gym isn't responsible. Negligence is another story, but I bet that those cases are rare. Trying to get the gym to pay for your medical expenses when it wasn't their fault is like shooting yourself in the foot... not only are you going to make relations between yourself and the owners strained, but also, it just causes their insurance costs to go up, which then makes them raise their rates, which will cost you more money. Litigiousness in our society (in the USA) is a problem, but not with the vast majority of people. I have had everything regarding my injuries and physical therapy covered by my insurance, no questions asked.

However, I have to mention... since you don't allow speaking about politics or religion on this website, you probably shouldn't make or allow comments implying that one type of health care system is better than another... because that is politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
No implication that one is better than the other, the statement is that there are differences in the various countries represented here.

I think we all know that there are good points to any health care system, there are bad points too. Anyone who has followed my posts on here will know I have lots of issues with the lack of accessibility in our system.

I merely stated that in the US things are not like Canada and the UK. Not political, just a reality.When I say lack of good health care coverage, I am saying that we know that not all people are covered, this is not conjecture, just reality. Not a criticism, just reality.

If I remember correctly when I fill out DD's annual USAG membership form it asked for our private health insurance carrier. Anyone know if it is requirement to have private insurance to be a USAG member? Everyone I know who has had a gymnastics related injury(including my DD) has used their private health insurance coverage for treatment.

If I remember correctly when I fill out DD's annual USAG membership form it asked for our private health insurance carrier. Anyone know if it is requirement to have private insurance to be a USAG member? Everyone I know who has had a gymnastics related injury(including my DD) has used their private health insurance coverage for treatment.

I doubt it. However it's worth mentioning most children can get coverage under CHIP, because state eligibility is often a much higher percentage of the poverty line (than say Medicaid). Some states anyone can get it, you just pay sliding scale premiums based on income (I think MD is this way). Even if parents don't have health insurance coverage, kids can get coverage this way. So I'd be surprised even if the parents didn't have an insurance policy, if there are many kids in gymnastics who aren't covered.

What is CHIP?

Children's Health Insurance Program, essentially low cost health insurance for children. This site can probably provide better info- Children's Health Insurance Program.

As far as injuries, my parents always just used their insurance coverage for any problems that came up. And one of those involved a 2 week hospital stay, so I'm sure you can imagine that bill. Fortunately both of my parents were public school teachers which provided them with great insurance for the many injuries that came up during my time in gymnastics.
I think most gyms have you sign waivers during registration that state you understand gymnastics is a dangerous sport and injury is a risk. I think typically those forms protect them against most medical problems that occur in the gym unless due to negligence (equipment not up to date or not in good condition, coaching negligence, etc.).
I seem to remember having to fill out some pretty extensive paperwork for one gym I competed for. All team members had to have physician approval to participate and it wouldn't surprise me if the form asked for insurance information as well.

Back in the stone age when I competed, all my injuries were my/my family's financial responsibility. I'd have been absolutely mortified if my parents had tried to make the gym pay, since here in the US that's a gentle way of saying lawsuit.

Negligence is another story, of course. All my injuries were solidly in the land of "gymnast attempting something she can do. Gymnast messes up. Ouch".

Interesting conversation...

This past summer, my ds got hurt at football practice (a town sponsored program). He was doing a drill--it was not a contact injury. After the ER, follow up MD appts. and our insurance covered what it did (and we have very good insurance), we still had about $1,100 worth of bills to pay. The football program had us submit all of the bills not covered by insurance and we were reimbursed that amount by the football insurance company.

I would think that the same would apply at gymnastics--luckily we haven't had the issue arise;)

Yep in the UK we pay insurance as part of membership to British Gymnastics and is compulsory. Although I have to confess i haven't actually read what is covered, perhaps I ought to do that !!!

I have had four injuries that required going to the orthopedist instead of the pediatrician. My family paid for them, and they were not neglegence. And one was physical thereapy too. But I am pretty sure the gym said that they are not taking responsibility for injuries when we signed up. and no one in our gym has ever thought of asking the gym to pay for it.

Here is the link to the British Gymnastics insurance policy: British Gymnastics - Insurance

From the first download: "We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity."

From what I remember, it was more than you could get compensation from them rather than them paying for your treatment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back