Help with Level 5 bar dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My DD is struggling with her bar dismount. She says she can't turn fast enough. She starts to take her hand off the bar to turn and just can't complete the turn. Any advice on what she needs to do differently or what she can work on? Also does it matter which direction she turns?

The direction of the turn is entirely up to the gymnast.
It sounds like she may be doing the turn incorrectly. From what I've seen, if you try to turn by using just your hands or shoulders, not only do you tend to turn at the wrong time but your feet come apart and you are usually too low in the swing.
The level 5 dismount is out of a tap swing. The tap swing is the first thing to make sure you get correct. If your toes aren't above the high bar in the highest part of the tap, it isn't being done the way the judges want to see it.
Here is how I see the Level 5 bar dismount starting from the undershoot:
1. Undershoot as high as possible making sure you are pushing on the bar the entire time.
2. Push to a hollow counter swing. Look for the low bar. Make sure your feet get higher than the low bar without losing the hollow shape.
3. Obtain a tight arch by push the armpits toward the floor (not by arching the back)
4. Quickly "tap" to a hollow shape driving the toes to the ceiling. Try to get the feet higher that the high bar without losing the shape.
5. Push to a hollow counter swing. Look for the low bar. Make sure your feet get higher than the low bar without losing the hollow shape.
6. Quickly "tap" to a hollow shape driving the toes to the ceiling. Try to get the feet higher that the high bar without losing the shape.
7. At the top of the swing, turn through the toes. If you think about turning through the toes, the feet stay together and for some reason the entire turn in easier.
8. Push away to land on the feet.

As long as she is releasing at the top of the swing, their should be plenty of time to complete the turn before pushing off the bar.

Coach Todd had some wonderful tips that I will certainly be passing on to my level fives! One of the biggest mistakes I see in the level 5 dismount is gymnasts failing to tap in that last swing because they are focusing too much on the actual dismount. If your daughter is not having trouble on her tap swing before the dismount then she should be able to complete the dismount provided she keep a tight hollow body. Remind your daughter to (1) tap and (2) wait till her toes are even with the high bar before completing the half turn.

Many girls don't tap their dismount swings till about L9. It's a very common problem.

Yes, I said that right. They don't tap their 1/2 turn. They don't tap their tuck flyaway in L6 or layout flyaway in L7 or L8.

As for the 1/2 turn block off the bar. Turn the toes, hips, then hands. In the men's program, we often cheat by sliding the hands closer together.

Many girls don't tap their dismount swings till about L9. It's a very common problem.

Yes, I said that right. They don't tap their 1/2 turn. They don't tap their tuck flyaway in L6 or layout flyaway in L7 or L8.

As for the 1/2 turn block off the bar. Turn the toes, hips, then hands. In the men's program, we often cheat by sliding the hands closer together.

I've even seen level 9's try to double pike dismount without tapping. It makes me crazier than normal.

That is very true. Doesn't make much sense to me! Why would you want to go for a dismount, especially harder ones, without generating as much upward force as possible? Frustrating!

A big problem I have seen with teaching my level 5's their dismounts is that they like to wait till the last minute to turn. They should begin the turn directly as they are tapping by using their hips. The hips and core are the center point of the body, if the gymnast can get their hips to turn quickly then the rest of their body will follow (toes and shoulders). It is just important to hit the hollow at the top. The turn should continue from the bottom of the swing all the way to the top.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back