Help with State Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not sure if this is where this should be posted but I need ideas and help!
We have been chosen to host the state meet this year. This is the first time in 12 years that our gym has been asked so of course I want to do big and of course the best and this is also my first time hosting a state meet.
Some ideas that have been running through my head and now I need feedback and directions! Thanks so much in advance
* I would like to make a parent info sheet with all the detail on it for before the met- host hotel, admission price, t shirt orders, ad space. My problem is would parents like that and do anyone know of a template I could use?
* Many times siblings are brought along and get bored very quickly. Would parents like a place where they could drop them off and the kids could play? What would be a good price? It would be in the location I was thinking movie, snacks, climbing things and maybe blow ups.
* Is there anything else that you like to see at meets or see at meets that you really enjoy?

Also one last thing I promise, I am interested in renting electronic scoreboards. Does anyone know of companies that rent them?

Thank you so much:D

Wow you have some big plans there.

What state so folks can direct you to local companies if they know them?

For templates just go into Word and open a new document do a search for order forms and you will get a few choices for order forms.

I like the child care idea but if its for the volunteer parents then it should be free for them as they are giving their time and you don't then want to say oh by the way thanks for volunteering and we want $$ from you too. I know that will keep folks from using the service.

At our state meets they bring a company in to do photos at the meet that will be available for sale for the next month or so. I love that because they are on the floor by the events taking the up close and personal ones. Way better than I could take and I don't mind getting a few of those. I think they were Champion Photo in NH.

The other thing I like is the "shopping" There are vendors there with lots of gymnastics stuff. The host gym usually has the "offical t-shirt/sweatshirts" for sale along with lots of gymnastics pins and their proshop open but they also have other companies with various gymnastic items. Like one year there was someone there doing emprodiery on items like blankets pillowcases that said the kids name. We go a pillow case with "A gymnast sleeps here" and a graphic of a girl gymnast (they were already made up) and had Daughters name put on. You had to order them before half time of the meet and pick them up on the way out as the personalized stuff was popular.

Food is a must. Some type of snack bar with more than candy and chips. In the am you would want coffee, tea, juices, bagles, doughnuts, and Ive seen some egg sandwiches (think egg mcmuffin like at mcdonalds). for the lunch/dinner times Ive seen hotdogs (steamers are cheap to rent if you need to and they keep everything hot for along time) meatballs, chilli, pasta, pizza, nachos with cheese, Beef stew, pulled pork, Most of these were made by the team parents to sell.

Of course the raffles are a must. there is always the 50/50 then usually I see one for a week at one of the big gym camps out there, along with gift cards to local places like dunkin donuts, restaraunts, retail stores etc. Gift baskets with cool stuff in it.

That's all I can think of right now that I've seen at meets like states and regionals.

A very timely question. Our gym hosted our state optional meet last year and we are doing it again this year. We are also having our annual meet in 2 weeks. I am coordinating both, so take this advice as you wish.

Child care - been to one meet where they did this; it seemed to work and was about $5.00 for a session as I recall. We don't do it as it is just one more thing to have to plan and make sure you have people to cover.

Parent information - yes, do as much of it as you can. However, I would either do it thru a central website or via sending the information to the gyms and let them distribute.

Vendors (shopping) - a definite yes. This year for our home meet we are renting a large tent to have in the parking lot for vendors and concessions. This gives a place for spectators to cool thier heals before being admitted to thier session.

Renting scoreboards - you need deep pockets for this one; close to $10K. Look into alternatives. We do score projection using a video projector. We started simple with manual score entry and then upgraded our scoring software to automatically feed the projection software.

The biggest thing you need to worry about at the meet is keeping it on time and keeping the session sizes manageable.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

I highly reccommend the electronic scoring systems. You will need to buy a copy of the software and install in on the computers that you are going to use for data entry at the meet, and then rent the monitors that will display the results during the meet. I use Pro-Score. Check on line for gymnastics scoring software and you will find the companies listed and also where you can rent the monitors. Once you get it installed you can enter all the gymnast information into the software and it will create the divisions and rotations for you. The instructions will come with the software. Once you get it installed I would suggest that you do a few test meets with the persons who will be running the software so they are familiar with how it works and can get the result reports quickly and correctly. It may take some practice.

Also, plan your awards ceremony and figure out how many medals, trophies or plaques you are going to need and order ahead of time. Again, you can do this online.

Flowers are also a nice addition to a meet. I have seen bouquets given to the first, second and third places along with their trophy.

Im sure there is more, but hope this helps.

There are also the candy grams that the parents can buy. Ex. single flowers, lolipops,bears. ect. that they give out at awards

The electronic scoring system is nice IF you have the money. You need to make sure you get it way ahead of time so people can be trained on how to use it and trouble shoot it. If you go that route, still make sure you have a standard back up system for flashing scores in case of a computer problem.

Have been to meets that offer the child care and it is popular. What they do is not charge admission for the kids going to the child care area and then the parents pay $5 or so for their little one to be entertained for the next 3-4 hours. I don't know that I would get into lots and lots of activites and it will require more adult volunteers to run(older kids can help, but you should plan on 2 adults/session).

Don't know where you are, so vendors may or may not be something to look at.

All info regarding the meet should be on a website---much easier to access and it can be updated/changed quickly rather than relying on flyers sent to gyms.

Decide early if you'll do pre-order t-shirts, hoodies etc. That way you can send an order form to each gym and have the shirts ready when the girls get there.

As for awards--in our state, the state USAG committee gets those.

Make sure the program is nice and has each girl's name so parents can write in scores.

I'm not a big fan of selling flowers. Have done it for figure skating and gym and you really don't make alot of money off of it, the flowers can be droopy by the time they're ever given to the girl, end up throwing some out because petals etc have fallen off. If you have a florist bring the flowers to the site and do certain arrangements, the price goes up.

Do check with you state committee and see if they have written guidelines for the state meets.

Lastly, make sure ALL parents are working this!!! You won't pull it off if some opt out or do minimal work.

Lastly, GL!!

Thanks for all the help!

This will be the state Y meet for Wisconsin. The volunteer families are actually the ones that asked for it and said they would pay just wondering though if other families would use it or would I be staffing it for nothing. We are having two vendors as of right now one is a gymnastics company that has everything and anything that you would want,need and dont need! And then we are having a t-shirt screenprinter who screens fun saying and names on shirts. The gymnastics vendor is also the "meet"tshirt vendor.
We also host a home meet so we are kinda doing it in the same forum just alot more people!!
We have concessions that include all the normal stuff. I actually found rentals for 600/bucks a day but I would like a different format.

I would check w your USAG or YMCA state commitee and see if they have the scoreboards. The frills/extras are great, but your #1 priority is a well organized, on time meet. Also GOOD HEALTHY food for the coaches and judges would be really appreciated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back