WAG Hip flexor and press handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lisiflex

Hey guys!

I just got my press handstand.

2 days ago in the evening I felt a discomfort in my groin region when I came home from school. I already felt that kind of pain sometimes when I did Round-Offs and Cartwheels, but this time it was a little worse.

I think I pulled my hip flexor! It is a sharp pain when I try to lift my leg towards my chest, cartwheels also hurt but straddle supports are worst! They give me a stabbing pain like hell :( The strange thing is - L-sits are fine!
There is no bruising or swelling, but if I touch my groin at one liitle point it aggreviates this stabbing pain. Walking and running is fine.

I am so frustrated now, I could cry all day!

Has anyone an idea what it could be?

Can I train L-Sits and leg raises if they don't hurt?

I know, no one can give a medical advice here and I will go and see a doctor asap.

I just hope that someone can give some advice, tips or experience here, cuz I am really frustrated that I might not be able to train my press handstand or hip-flexors for some weeks or months and will lose all of my hard work :(

You can google hip flexors or anatomy and work your way through a wealth of material. The better choice would be a doctor or physical therapist. If you have to wait several weeks for either, you should treat it, while you wait, as if it were a slight muscle tear.

If L sit is fine and straddle not, it could be adductors. Or it could be inflammation in the hip joint capsule, which is apparently what I've got, from round-offs (again - most of my problems seem to be caused by round-offs). Rest it for now and don't do any of those things that aggravate it. Seeing a dance physiotherapist could be helpful, mine has given me lots of exercises to strengthen and stabilise the hip area. For the moment I'm not allowed to do any round-offs or cartwheels. Congrats on getting your press handstand!

Glad to hear about the press to stand, sorry to hear about the other. No medical advice, but just saying, if it hurts on the inside of the thighs, probably groin. Top front of the thigh, probably hip flexor. In either case it's very painful and needs to be looked at. Unfortunately, there isn't any quick fix out there for either one. I always tell my girls to listen to the Dr.'s and let their pain be their guide as to what they can and can't do. It's the type of injury you want to fully heal so that it doesn't reoccur. I think you have already figured out that once is more than enough! ;) When you get better, be sure to ask your coach about exercises that are made to prevent that very injury. We do lots of them because we know how bad it can be. Also ask if your coach is familiar with a wrap/tape job that helps support it and lessen the pain. Good luck and a speedy recovery!

When you get better, be sure to ask your coach about exercises that are made to prevent that very injury. We do lots of them because we know how bad it can be.

Which exercises do you do to prevent these injuries?

My son had a level 2 hip flexor strain in November...per the dr. he did no gymnastics for two weeks, iced it almost non-stop and took ibiprofen 4 times day....since then he has never had a problem and he does about 17 hours a week

No medical advice, but just saying, if it hurts on the inside of the thighs, probably groin. Top front of the thigh, probably hip flexor. In either case it's very painful and needs to be looked at. Unfortunately, there isn't any quick fix out there for either one. I always tell my girls to listen to the Dr.'s and let their pain be their guide as to what they can and can't do. It's the type of injury you want to fully heal so that it doesn't reoccur.!

In my experience, hip flexor is more in front rather than your groin, kind of by the bottom of your hip bones. I used to do cut catches on bars, and one day I did one and my hip made a popping noise and it felt like someone stabbed me in the hip. I tried to do some stuff, but really anything that I had to use my legs for was painful (running, cartwheels, back walkovers, etc.). When it was close to being healed, I started doing things again but had to make substitutions for things involving straddles (pike kips, pike press handstands, straight body casts, etc.). Since then I have never had as strong of hip flexors but I made do with what I had.

That is my experience, but I have no idea if you are having the same problem.

Good luck!

If it's not on the inside, then id say it's your psoas. One way to stretch this is to lie on some type of table so your legs are completely hanging off. Take the leg opposite of the one that hurts, bend it, and pull it tight to your chest. Have someone hold your shoulders down, and also have someone push down on the straight leg to stretch it (tell them to go gently, most people's psoas' are very tight-you'll see when you first lay there that leg will probably be going up a little) and make sure to keep your knee close to you. Stretch it like this when you can. Not too hard, you don't need to make things worse...
Oh, and eat your potassium! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back