WAG How to assess how good a coach/gym is?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
We are in the process of looking at different gyms in the area and also assessing the one DD is currently at. My gut tells me that she is not getting great training -but as I know little about the sport I am not sure if I am just thinking this or if it's actually the case. Any tips for assessing coaches/gyms? Scores are one thing but otherwise? I feel that scores don't tell the whole story b/c so many of the better gyms sandbag. I've noticed that different coaches have very different styles of coaching -but it's difficult for me to tell if one is providing better training than the next.

I had to recover my laptop this week because the the hard-drive died... in the process I came across the different guidelines from the gyms we auditioned a few years ago. One of the biggest things is making sure the gym philosophy is in line with your family's goals. One called out that it essentially sandbagged, another pointed to rushing through to get them to upper levels quickly. Most had a more measured approach... from those it was a matter of really paying attention when dd was practicing. Looking at how the coaches interacted with all the kids, not just mine. Looking at the other kids, especially the upper levels and the rec kids. The gym we chose kept control over these little ones while keeping it fun. All of the team girls stayed busy, not a lot of aimless looking about... all of the girls seemed fit and tone, showing a commitment to conditioning that prevents injury and enhances skills. Most important was that DD felt like it was extended family... the other girls are so close even with large age differences. Talk with other parents, are they happy? Do the other athletes seem happy? Does yours like and respond to the coaches? Do they give equal attention to kids or give more to the more talented girls? Does your daughter feel like she can do more or is she happy with her progress? Is she excited about the idea of a different gym or apprehensive... a change could be good or problematic depending.

I had to recover my laptop this week because the the hard-drive died... in the process I came across the different guidelines from the gyms we auditioned a few years ago. One of the biggest things is making sure the gym philosophy is in line with your family's goals. One called out that it essentially sandbagged, another pointed to rushing through to get them to upper levels quickly. Most had a more measured approach... from those it was a matter of really paying attention when dd was practicing. Looking at how the coaches interacted with all the kids, not just mine. Looking at the other kids, especially the upper levels and the rec kids. The gym we chose kept control over these little ones while keeping it fun. All of the team girls stayed busy, not a lot of aimless looking about... all of the girls seemed fit and tone, showing a commitment to conditioning that prevents injury and enhances skills. Most important was that DD felt like it was extended family... the other girls are so close even with large age differences. Talk with other parents, are they happy? Do the other athletes seem happy? Does yours like and respond to the coaches? Do they give equal attention to kids or give more to the more talented girls? Does your daughter feel like she can do more or is she happy with her progress? Is she excited about the idea of a different gym or apprehensive... a change could be good or problematic depending.

Thanks -my DD is very excited about the prospect of a new gym -it's me who is more apprehensive since it will mean more time in the car. Curious -do you ask the coach what the philosophy is in a chat after the practice? I haven't had a real opportunity to chat much with the coaches so far and haven't been told about philosophies at the various gyms.

Watch the kids, are they happy? Do they seem excited and confident to try new skills? Are they bursting to get into the gym each week?

Are the kids generally well behaved, focused and engaged during classes?

Is the space sufficient? Do the kids get regular feedback both positive and constructive criticism?
Are the coaches mentally present when they coach? Are the training sessions varied or always the same? Do th coaches use lots of set ups and drills to teach new concepts?

Is your child clearly gaining strength and learning new skills?

Are the kids on average moving up 1 level per year? Some kids will skip levels others will repeat but this should not be the norm. If they do repeat a level is there clear improvement and a chance to up train?

Do the coaches attend professional development?

Does the gym have many higher level gymnasts? Have they produced many level 10's? College scholarships? Any elites?

How old is your DD? Rec or team? Level? Ambition? It doesn't seem common for kids to be excited about leaving their gym- they tend more to get attached and want to stay even if it's clear they should move on, so it is interesting that your DD wants to try somewhere new. As for philosophy, you could just ask, or you could surmise from how the average team girl is taken through the levels.

What Aussie coach said-
Are the kids happy, what's the ratio. The philosophy....talk to parents and ask what they like least about their gym.....what they value most.........how are the weakest gymnasts treated? Do they get equal time and attention?
is the gym clean? Does the equipment seem in good shape? If they are using broken mats, and there is a lot of duck tape around....

I would want to see happy kids, evidence of a supportive coaching philosophy, and to know that conditioning is an important part of the program. Gyms that teach big tricks without making sure the girls are strong/stable enough for them scare me.

Watching a trial session should give you a feel for all that.

Count the braces - knee, ankle, etc. But don't JUST rely on that.
Definitely gym philosophy. Do they move girls quickly on a regular basis... Do they keep girls competing lower for scores.
Practice hours - does the timing fit with sch9l and family obligations? Do they practice the number of hours that is appropriate for your family / gymmie?
Coaches - are they "holding the walls up" chatting or on their phones? Are they interacting with the gymnasts in a positive / constructive manner?
And everything everyone else said ☺

Yes to what Aussie Coach, Raen and JessSyd said.

Also remember gym situations can change as can staff.
The child changes as well. What works and is good at 6 might not be so much at 10 or 14.

And coaches and kids need to fit. A coaching style that works for my kid might not for someone else's.

For us and our family.
Schedule and a degree of flexibility is important and was our first concern.
Next safety, good equipment, conditioning.
Use of time during practice, (the gym we left wanted to add hours but there was a ton of standing around time and little conditioning).
Up training is very important to us.
The coaches at our gym are on the more serious side that works for my daughter, perhaps another kid not so much. But they are supportive.
Do the kids get along and support each other.
If my kid is going spend a bunch of hours with the coaches and kids it needs to be a positive experience not one that is bullying and tears kid down.
Back to flexibility, we are very lucky to have a gym that is OK with saying no to a meet from time to time. It allows the kids to involved in other things and for family times. This is blasphemous to many gym folks but it works just fine at our gym, and we all attend most meets but it is very nice when a family occasion comes up or a religious event or a sibling event, or an event that the gymmie does happens. They can go.

For me the important things for my daughters and their gym experience are -

A good Coach / Gymnast relationship where they are able to speak out and ask for help if needed

Reasonsble communication ( the gym haven't got this quite right but it is not bad, still leaves some things to the last minute)

Coaches who do not have obvious favourites for example working more with just the confident naturally talented ones. I think that my daughters group has the balance just about right, helping the naturaly talented ones with harder skills/drills while also helping the ones that are struggling, also hands on coaching for shaping and spotting, but not too hands on.

A great conditioning program with little down time, making as best use of the time and space as they can (this isn't ideal yet but not too bad)

Opportunities to help in rec competitions ( my daughter has done that twice and loves it)

That all the girls get on well together with no or little drama.

Positive nature of coaches that may require some thinking outside the box if things are not working as expected skill wise or progress wise.

Up training (which both of my daughters groups does)

On the down side there is hardly any flexibility in my daughters group, you can't make a session then tough, you lose out, there seems to be no offer of making up missed sessions. Recently my youngest was ill and out of gym for just over a weeand the week after the coach went on holiday and training was cancelled, no make up sessions were offered even though it is school holidays. In the case of my daughter bring ill that cannot be helped and was just one of those things, it was was just bad luck that my daughter got sick the week before the coaches holiday, she missed 6 out of her 12trainjng sessions that they get per month. The higher level girls (slightly younger girls that train more hours and days) are sometimes shoved in our group if their coach is away but the reverse never happens, but there is nothing we can do about that as fraustrating as it is.

All in all they go to a great gym with good coaches and great facilities and I am very grateful that they have both got a chance to be in competitive / development groups and find something that they love.

We are in the process of looking at different gyms in the area and also assessing the one DD is currently at. My gut tells me that she is not getting great training -but as I know little about the sport I am not sure if I am just thinking this or if it's actually the case. Any tips for assessing coaches/gyms? Scores are one thing but otherwise? I feel that scores don't tell the whole story b/c so many of the better gyms sandbag. I've noticed that different coaches have very different styles of coaching -but it's difficult for me to tell if one is providing better training than the next.

In my honest opinion, it depends on what you are looking for!

Is this a hobby? For fun only? If so, I would listen to your child after a trial practice and see what they say.

Is your child looking to do this long term? College? Then you need to sit with the coaches, discuss future goals and their plans on getting you there!

If you are still new to gymnastics (compulsories) you might not have a clear idea of what you want yet, and that's ok too! I didn't have a clue what we were getting into a few years ago when we joined compulsories.

For my dd, if we were just in it for "funsies" then our options would be wider. But dd is striving to compete in college, so we chose our gym. (And oh so thankful we did). It is the right amount of fun and great coaching!

Good luck to you guys!!

What Aussie coach said-
Are the kids happy, what's the ratio. The philosophy....talk to parents and ask what they like least about their gym.....what they value most.........how are the weakest gymnasts treated? Do they get equal time and attention?
is the gym clean? Does the equipment seem in good shape? If they are using broken mats, and there is a lot of duck tape around....
Oh I so second this. We went to an open gym when we were visiting family, and I had to have my child come over and talk to me, so I could say don't go on the floor, there are holes in it which could catch your foot and you could get injured. Also, the beam pads were held on the beam with duct tape. Duct tape was also around on other apparatuses....what is up with the duct tape? I know it has the rep of being all bonding, but come ON!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back