How to condition whilst out of comission?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's been a while since I've been around, mostly because for the last ten days or so, I've been nursing a Grade II sprained ankle! :eek:uch: I'm up and hobbling a bit now, but I'm looking for some good general conditioning while staying off of the (left) ankle, as well as putting limited pressure/stretching on it.

I've been doing some of my stretches still(sitting pike, straddle, arms, neck), and I could probably do some situp/crunch type ab conditioning - but what else do you recommend? Especially for arms, as I can't do pushups right now - I have 4 lb wrap-around weights that I use, but haven't found any really good exercises yet.

Hey, I'm currently healing from a grade 2 left ankle sprain as well! you could also do chin ups. if you don't have a bar at home, they have some that hang over a door or on a door frame that are pretty good. you can do push ups with just one foot, or put your feet on a couch or bed so that the pressure is on your shins or thighs rather than your toes (you could do that on an exercise ball, too) you can do dips on a chair or bench with either your legs stretched straight in front of you, or bent with your feet flat on the ground (easier) or you can put your feet up on another chair in front of you. to make it even harder, you can do that with a weight on your lap. for legs you can do wall sits. abs, like you mentioned, you can do v-ups, tuck ups, straddle v-ups, hollow rocks, arch rocks, side arch rocks.

I'm not an expert, but these are some things that I do at the gym.

Can you do handstand push-ups for arms? You can get a pretty good workout without doing a ton of those.

Is it just me or do I not understand why you can't do pushups with a sprained ankle.

Simply elevate said ankle onto other foot or do it off your knees.

You can still be doing V-up, arch roll to V-up, L-sits, pullups, leglifts (be careful about dropping from said bar)

if you have a swiss ball, you can do glute-ham ball roll outs. basically a glute bridge where you extend your legs from a bent knee position.

HS.

with any injury, simply condition around the injury but it's generally not a good idea to just sit around unless the injury requires that

Well, I was hesitant about putting weight on or over stretching the ankle - that's why I didn't want to do regular push-ups. Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll be putting them to good use!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back