How to get the word out in Georgia/Florida regarding scam artists coaches/owners

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There are some coaches that were owners of a gym in Georgia a few years ago (that just closed it's doors and left people hanging) and then they did it again just last week in South Daytona and have now moved on to Cape Coral....wondering the best way to keep others from being scammed by these people.:(

How does this happen? Where do they find the money to open up a gym with all of the equipment only to shut it down??

They are really good talkers...you know the kind. And the sad thing is most people still trust others. Apparently in Daytona they started with some money they got from a wrongful death suit, got financing I hear, but they are big spenders and spend faster than they make it...they were open in Daytona for about 2 years (with lots of drama at their gym) but the spending got the best of them...apparently this is their M.O. Her parents did it in Georgia I found out. Oh, and some of the parents were nieve enough to pay for a year tuition in advance (crazy huh?) but they were likable people and pleaded poor me all the time and the nice people of Daytona fell for it. I was just wondering how to keep the gym in Cape Coral from ending up with the same problems since the parents now have jobs there and probably will infiltrate that gym like the one in Georgia...the daughter (who closed this one) just packed up on Sunday night and left for south florida. Thank goodness, my DGD's were never a part of this, but we knew of the parents/gymnasts who were since Daytona is a very small town.

I'm just wondering how they keep passing the credit checks and who would keep lending to them?

It would seem counter-productive not to mention expensive to keep opening a new gym every few years. It does not take just months to establish a business or to gain enough people's trust to make a substantial profit. The start up cost is pretty high, having to sign and pay a lease many months, even years, in advance, purchasing equipment (even if they had to just move equipment from location to location cost mone). It takes at least two years to even see profit in most businesses. Also, business owners depending on how they want to run their business have to file either an Articles of Incorporation with their respective Secretary of State and again with the County Clerk's office. I would make certain these people are truly rip off artists and have actual proof and/or first hand knowledge before tarnishing their name. Stories get so twisted when passed from one person to another. I am not saying that these people did not rip off anyone. They could very well be. But it would seem there is much more to the story than you are hearing.

You could advise anyone directly effected(parents from one of the closed gyms) to contact the Better Business Bureau or the State Attorney's office in their state. I agree with 4thelove about not putting the names of these people out there with accusations unless you have 1st hand knowledge(in other words, you got taken) and can prove the accusations.

Well I think the newspaper articles on this couple are pretty clear.. They took in tuition on a Friday and were gone by Sunday. The people affected have done the right thing by going to the police. The police are investigating, as the way they did things constitutes direct fraud (taking money for a service they had no intention of providing. That distinction moves it from a civil matter to a criminal one) I think thats the best they can do.

Wow Mariainlv...has the story made it all the way to Southern California????? Wow! Fortheloveofsports, I totally agree and that is why I haven't mentioned any names, but it seems pretty clear and the states attorney is investigating it for a criminal case (although the gym owner says if they have a problem with what they did the parents need to sue them directly...wonder if she knows something the parents don't, as I said, something like this has been done by their family before)....As far as how they open, apparently they talk a good game and with the economy the way it is, they are "floated" some of the expenses and in the case of these parents, they paid tuition a year in advance so that the gym could move from one location to another because they believed in them. Again, I just really hate to see it happen to others (btw...my DGD's did not go to this gym, but I did have a monetary loss due to their leaving).

Well I think the newspaper articles on this couple are pretty clear.. They took in tuition on a Friday and were gone by Sunday. The people affected have done the right thing by going to the police. The police are investigating, as the way they did things constitutes direct fraud (taking money for a service they had no intention of providing. That distinction moves it from a civil matter to a criminal one) I think thats the best they can do.

Actually there can be civil and criminal actions on the same case. Sounds like if what is being said is true these folks probably don't have any money left for the wronged parents to go after, but it never hurts to get a judgement against them.

Actually there can be civil and criminal actions on the same case. Sounds like if what is being said is true these folks probably don't have any money left for the wronged parents to go after, but it never hurts to get a judgement against them.

True. I should clarify, I meant that it moves from a purely civil matter to a criminal matter (the intent to defraud) that could still be pursued in a civil court.

We are from the area and heard of this terrible story. I hope these people get caught. Children develop such a love and admiration for their coaches. This can hurt their trust for adults and authority figures. I hope the gymnasts don't lose their love for the sport. Gymnastics is a great sport to be a part of.

dawnmytv...several area gyms stepped in to help out and, from what I can see on my facebook page, quite a few have moved on to these gyms and look like they have "fit right into" the mix...that is so great!

Glad to see that the new gym owner of one of the gyms involved in Georgia has commented....To actually read more on this, the parents have set up two sites on facebook where comments are being passed back and forth and information is being gathered for the police. I guess we'll see what happens this time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back