WAG L3 bar score......video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
What do you see here that is wrong....I know there is plenty! I am just trying to figure out what the judge did not like! Normally she gets between a 9.3 to a 9.6
They smacked her with a 8.9! She was really PO ed .....me too!

Cant help with the specifics because dd never competed compulsory.

How did she place compared to other meets and how did her score compared to others in the level? Sometimes you just get a harder scoring judge. Also, as the season progresses, judging sometimes gets tougher. Usually girls improve too so they go hand in hand and you dont notice it in the scores but if a girl doesn't progress much, you sill see a dip in the scores.

Everyone's score was inline. Hers was clearly a surprise to everyone. The coach asked judges what was up, and they counted an extra swing, and bent arms.....total of .6 right there.
The only place I could see an extra swing would be right before the pullover. Or I guess, right after the mill circle, when her back leg swings back a bit......I don't know.
I am back to wondering if she should change her pullover style. She has always done it this way, some love it, and I guess now some hate it!! LOL

Hmmmm....I'm no judge, but I didn't spot an extra swing. The pullover style is different though...I haven't ever seen anyone do it that way.

I'd think the biggest deduction is her front hip circle, the bent arms, little bit belly out, shaping etc. Then little things like her back knee being bent on her mill circle. I don't know if this is a deduction, but DD was told to not let her leg touch when she comes around to the top of the bar and not to "swing" her legs the way your DD sort of does at the top of the mill circle.

I am a former judge so for fun I went through the routine. The first time in real time meaning I just played it and judge as it went along as if in the meet I gave her a 8.8 trying to be tough. Watching a second time and pausing it in pieces I gave her an 8.7. Here is my breakdown.

Hips not fully extended on mount .2
pause before pullover .1
at top of muscle up legs swung backward .2
bent elbow completion of front hip .2
front leg slight bend at completion of mill circle .2
incorrect head position on underswing .2
1 step on landing .1

It was a nice routine, but like others have said, sometimes you run into judges that just don't like something you did. I don't think there is anything wrong with the pullover, though some judges could give a bit of a deduction for the small swing in the pull up position before lifting her legs over. But I think that's something that's more a matter of preference. And I would think if the judges had a problem with it they would have let the coach know.
Some other stuff:
I would say .1 for the lack of full extension on the glide as she does show some extension, bent arms on front hip, bent back leg on mill circle, pause before back hip- her feet move back and forth before casting here so I would guess this is where they got the extra swing (so that's .3 by itself). She had a slight arch (should just be a stretched/hollow position) on the underswing so I could see a judge taking about .1 there. And the step on the dismount. So 8.9-9.0 would be appropriate, but could be slightly higher/lower depending on how much a specific judge wanted to take on the more subjective "up to" deductions.
It's a good routine, and an 8.9 is nothing to sneeze at this early in the season. Sometimes a different judging perspective can be helpful in finding those little corrections that can really add up.

At the end of the day, I don't really care. In a month she will be moving on the L4. I just like to know what I am missing. Silly things like body position is simple to fix, where as her style of pullover is not.
Her kip is not ready to compete, but it will be in the not to distant future.
She was pretty grown up about it. The coach also was like 'what are you gonna do when you get a judge like that'.
After all they are just kids, and these things are life lessons.
Life ain't always fair. :)

At the end of the day, I don't really care. In a month she will be moving on the L4. I just like to know what I am missing. Silly things like body position is simple to fix, where as her style of pullover is not.
Her kip is not ready to compete, but it will be in the not to distant future.
She was pretty grown up about it. The coach also was like 'what are you gonna do when you get a judge like that'.
After all they are just kids, and these things are life lessons.
Life ain't always fair. :)
That's the best way you can look at it. I'm in the very beginning stages of studying for the compulsory judging exam and I do not think I would take a deduction for it, or at least nothing significant. I checked through the level 3 deductions for bars and don't see any reason to deduct it, and I feel like if it were a glaring error a judge would have approached her coach about it by now. Sounds like these judges just had a bee in their bonnets that particular day.
As a coach, I would be pretty happy with that routine as, like you said, it's all very fixable and she has a great foundation to work with. Best wishes to her as she moves on to level 4!

My DD watched and she thought it looked like she took her hands off after the glide swing before the pullover. Also, after the cut back after the stride circle her feet go back behind the bar more than once before swinging the dismount which would be considered the additional swing. However she said her routine looked very tight and thought it was really good!

8.9 seems pretty fair. Maybe she usually connects her leg cut cast BHC. That's a flat .3 so a 9.6 with no connection on one of the connections and bent arms on front hip circle (.2) is pretty difficult.

In my area they'd probably take .1 on the glide for amplitude. .1 for rhythm on the pullover, .3 on front hip (rhythm and bent arms), .2 on cast shoot through mill circle (leg does not lift high on shoot through, knees not locked on mill circle), leg cut is clean, but does not connect to cast (flat .3), pike on the BHC (.1), and shape and step on the underswing (.2). So I'm at 8.7 as well.

But she can easily get in the 9s anywhere just by connecting her leg cut cast. Extra swing and no connection are the same deduction, so maybe that just got confused. Maybe she usually connects and does her pullover to front hip faster as that would put the score in the 9.2-9.3 range.

It is a very pretty routine and she looked quite solid! To my untrained eye the pauses - perhaps those could have triggered a deduction and the landing. However, was very pretty to watch!

I thought it was great too! The only thing that stood out to me really was after the glide, I believe they're supposed to punch off their feet into the pullover. Her form looks great though and with little improvements I'm sure she'll be back in the 9's by next meet.

Everyone's score was inline. Hers was clearly a surprise to everyone. The coach asked judges what was up, and they counted an extra swing, and bent arms.....total of .6 right there.
The only place I could see an extra swing would be right before the pullover. Or I guess, right after the mill circle, when her back leg swings back a bit......I don't know.
I am back to wondering if she should change her pullover style. She has always done it this way, some love it, and I guess now some hate it!! LOL
She would probably get an extra swing right before her dismount. She just a teeny pump cast before her actual cast. When I judged her routine I took it before I even read your post. The pullover looks fine, just a little slow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back