Leg Pains

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lately I've been working on increasing my flexibility (With my left leg in front I'm 4 inches from my splits, 6 inches with my right) but in the last week or so I haven't stretched as much because I just got a job. I'm standing and walking a lot more than usual and I'm out of town for the week so I'm going out more than if I was at home.

At first it was the heels of my feet that hurt which I figured was normal since I'm not used to standing and walking around for 7 hours. Now that I'm out of town and not working (I'm off for the week) I'm having pains in the back of the lower part of both my legs and the front part of my legs near my ankles (which leg depends on the day for the last one. Today was the right yesterday the left.) What's weird is that when I stretch nothing hurts or feels wrong. It's only when I'm walking.

My questions are "Is this normal? Does anyone know a reason why my legs would be hurting? Should I stretch more? What can I do to ease the pain."

It could be your shoes. I have very difficult feet to deal with and if I'm not wearing just the right pair of shoes with support in all the right places, extending periods of standing/walking can cause some pain. Try to change your shoes. If you are wearing flip flops, try something more substantial like good quality sneakers or sandals with some support for your foot (Birkenstock's have been great for me). You could also try various inserts for your shoes to help evenly distribute weight on your foot and support the parts that might need a little help. Sometimes a really good quality shoe store can help you figure out just the right kind of shoes for your foot structure.
Someone else might have some better tips, but I've found that some shoes can really aggravate my legs.

It could be your shoes. I have very difficult feet to deal with and if I'm not wearing just the right pair of shoes with support in all the right places, extending periods of standing/walking can cause some pain. Try to change your shoes. If you are wearing flip flops, try something more substantial like good quality sneakers or sandals with some support for your foot (Birkenstock's have been great for me). You could also try various inserts for your shoes to help evenly distribute weight on your foot and support the parts that might need a little help. Sometimes a really good quality shoe store can help you figure out just the right kind of shoes for your foot structure.
Someone else might have some better tips, but I've found that some shoes can really aggravate my legs.

I've tried looking for a good shoe over the years but no luck. No matter which show I get it's always the same. If I walk to much my feet hurt. I never wear sandals. I always wear sneakers. How can you find a good pair of shoes? I don't want to have to buy a pair and later on have the same problem.

The funny thing about this is that my new job is in a shoe department. lol

With all of the heat lately, its possible that you are dehydrated. Leg cramps often occur with dehydration and would make sense now that you are on the floor so much and not able to drink as much.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend doing research in your area to find a local running store that does a video analysis of your stride (its pretty common thing that good running stores do). They will videotape you walking on a treadmill and then review it in slow motion. Then, they will find a shoe that keeps your gait neutral.

Its not too costly to have this done (maybe an extra $10 on a pair of shoes) but it can make a huge difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back