WAG Level 2 Daughter Just can't get her stride circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Derek

Proud Parent
So my daughter has a nasty habit of 'sitting' on the bar before she 'falls forward' for her stride circle, making it practically impossible for her to get her stride circle. She knows that she shouldn't sit on the bar, but I think that fear has created a bad habit that she is now unable (at least to this point) to break. Any thoughts or techniques that we could try to help her? We have discussed with the coaches, and they are stumped on how to proceed. We have switched to the basket swing, and she is getting about about 3/4 of the way up and just 'muscles' it the rest of the way, but all the rest of the girls are doing stride circles on the team, and I think that she is getting self conscious about it. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!!

Advice? Don't stress. These are both dead-end skills that go absolutely nowhere in later gymnastics. Level 2 is not even a required competetive level. Get through it and move on. Competing these low levels is a waste of time, energy, and money (except for the clubs that rake in the money from families competing these levels).

Good Luck.

'and they are stumped on how to proceed.'
With a front stride circle?? That's a little troubling......
There are so many potential problems, that without a video we would only be guessing as to which one/ones apply to her. Her age also helps.

Advice? Don't stress. These are both dead-end skills that go absolutely nowhere in later gymnastics. Level 2 is not even a required competetive level. Get through it and move on. Competing these low levels is a waste of time, energy, and money (except for the clubs that rake in the money from families competing these levels).

Good Luck.

'These are both dead-end skills that go absolutely nowhere in later gymnastics. '
From a coaches point of view, the stride circle is one of the first opportunities for the girls to circle the bar in under grip and keep pressure on the bar (front giants, Stalders, etc.). The L to basket or basket swing teach the girls how to shoot their toes (kips, double leg jams, etc.), how to push, instead of pull on the bar, (Stalders, clear hips, toe ons, etc.), how to regrip (bars!). So we tend to see these skills a bit differently. :)

'Competing these low levels is a waste of time, energy, and money (except for the clubs that rake in the money from families competing these levels).'
Again, from a coaches point of view, I feel the sooner they learn to compete and the more often they do it, the better they will become at it. When your gymnastic skills need work, you go do a thousand of them, but what if your competition skills need work (and who's don't?), then what? We go to every meet possible to give the girls as much competitive experience as possible, and it seems to work pretty well for us. Just a different perspective sort of thing I guess. :)

Sure, some skills have a little less "carry over" value than others, but here's an invaluable "carry over" provided by the stride circle. It teaches many other skills, many of which may be the key skill for any child. Huh, what skills would those be?

Simple enough to answer. Among those skills you'd find the ability to force yourself to change, determination to do it a second time and every time after that...... and the ability to believe in and trust the coach.

With those skills, and a few others, it's possible to go pretty far in this sport. It only looks like a mill circle. In reality it's a chance to learn how to learn..... one little step after the other.

If your dd wants the skill, she'll make the changes her coaches are likely begging her to make. Until then she'll just turn out copy after copy of the same mistake.

That stride circle is a bear! My DD had a really good Level 3 season in the fall, but if she was ever going to mess up, it was in her stride circle. I'm so glad she has moved on to Level 4 so we can be done with that! I don't have any advice, but just wanted to commiserate. :)

It's a tricky skill for lots of kids- pushing up off the bar, falling forwards, shifting hands, lots of little details and scary/new pieces. The good news is, it does usually seem to "click" eventually.
One thing I tell my kids learning this skill that sometimes helps is to push up, extend their front leg, and pretend they are taking a BIG step forward. Sometimes I'll even give them a point to reach for with their toe. It seems pretty common for kids who are a little fearful of going forward to pull their leg straight down during the fall forward which makes it really hard to get around.
That's one of my more common corrections, but it's hard to tell what would work for her without seeing it, so it's merely a suggestion. Other than that, just give it time.

Our viewing area is near the bars, so I can often hear/see what's going on - very interesting to me when I get to watch...

For My DD, holding herself above the bar wasn't the issue (though of course she started out sitting on the bar like most kids), but she couldn't get rid of that 'knee hook' to save herself at the end. She would always end with bending her front leg knee around the bar, else fall backward and not complete the circle.

What worked for her was for her to focus on lifting her BACK leg throughout the whole skill. She had been focusing so much on her front let (taking that big 'step') that her back leg was basically being lazy and not helping with giving her enough momentum to get around safely.

As soon as she focused on actively lifting the BACK leg all the way around, she flew around the bar and overshot the circle (no more knee hook - yay!). A few more tries and she was first to get a clean mill circle in her group.

good luck! She'll get it!

Stumped might be a little over stating it. We have switched to the basket because she is much better at that skill, but we are still trying to get the stride circle. She is 7 and says that she is scared to fall forward, but getting her to take the step my be of help, thank you all for your help.

It helped my DD when she was told to keep her chest and chin up and keep focused on the high bar in front of her. :)

Sure, some skills have a little less "carry over" value than others, but here's an invaluable "carry over" provided by the stride circle. It teaches many other skills, many of which may be the key skill for any child. Huh, what skills would those be?

Simple enough to answer. Among those skills you'd find the ability to force yourself to change, determination to do it a second time and every time after that...... and the ability to believe in and trust the coach.

With those skills, and a few others, it's possible to go pretty far in this sport. It only looks like a mill circle. In reality it's a chance to learn how to learn..... one little step after the other.

If your dd wants the skill, she'll make the changes her coaches are likely begging her to make. Until then she'll just turn out copy after copy of the same mistake.

Yes! She'll need those skills get her kip, which she'll probably start working soon! Gymnastics, especially bars, doesn't come easy....

this is my DD's 2nd year competing, shes L2 now, (was L3 last year but with the changes etc. - you know what I mean) and she just not finally got her stride circle. there was a few times last year that she would get it but it was not consistant. now she does it naturally..just takes time i guess...well, it did for her anyway lol.

I remember hating that and the back of my leg would be bleeding by the end of practice. If she has trouble with that, tell her to put chalk on it before her turn.

I just have to say this attitude "the lower levels are a ridiculous waste of time and you are silly for worrying about anything related to them, etc", is irritating.

Levels 1&2 are not rec if the kids are competing on a team in the same way as everyone else. The experience of being a team and competing is valuable. At any level. It's not right to just dismiss the validity of kids competing at these levels just because the skills are simple.

'because the skills are simple.'
Really? Just ask the kids how 'simple' they are! ;) (I'm kidding you, because I know the context you meant that in) Though the eyes of the child, all skills are hard, scary, or both when they learn them. A stride circle to a level 2/3 can be just as challenging as a release skill is to an upper level gymnast. I appreciate all the girls determination, courage, and perseverance at all levels with all skills.

You all have a point. My kid learned to kip much faster than she learned the stupid mill circle. And her giant is way more consistent than her squat on. LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back