Coaches Level 4 Floor Straddle Jump

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
I was reading the text yesterday and it seemed to indicate that the legs should be straddled at a down angle (like a straight jump with legs apart), but then later it seemed to indicate it should be a straddle pike (with knees turned up). Can anyone clarify?

Thank you!

Is there any benefit to a gymnast's development in teaching straddle with knees forward? I don't teach knees forward but have seen some gyms compete it.

Is there any benefit to a gymnast's development in teaching straddle with knees forward? I don't teach knees forward but have seen some gyms compete it.
Benefits to development - not that I can thing of... but sometimes, it could be because it is easier to keep the legs straight. A lot of our girls tend to bend their knees in a "true" straddle jump, so there is less of a deduction with the "X" jump.

Let them take the deduction in level 4 for having a imperfect (but progressive) straddle jump. The X jump encourages no hip roll..bad habits are hard to break..and the X jump in my opinion looks ridiculous.

Let them take the deduction in level 4 for having a imperfect (but progressive) straddle jump. The X jump encourages no hip roll..bad habits are hard to break..and the X jump in my opinion looks ridiculous.
I agree it looks ridiculous... only the girls who don't have a good straddle jump do it in competition. In Practice, they try the straddle jump... but until they have qualified for Y Nationals, we do what we can to maximize their scores. There are only 7 regularly scheduled meets in the season in which to qualify. AFTER they qualify, we can focus on improving the straddle. :)

Haha. I call it a starfish and don't like them because they are not at all progressive. A lot of my girls tell me the real reason they don't go for the straddle is that "it hurts". :rolleyes:

If you have a girl who can do a horizontal straddle-pike jump, I could see doing it. Going for below horizontal or way below horizontal isn't worth it IMO. It'll look lame and might as well just do the star jump.

Mine are getting close to 180 degrees with the X jump but the straddle pike isn't anywhere near as split. We will keep working this summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back