Parents Level 6 Beam Dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto8in10

Proud Parent
I understand that there aren't points added or taken away for difficulty; but what is the skill level difference in beam dismounts? For that matter, what are the options? Front tuck, cartwheel/back tuck and backwalkover/back tuck? Which is considered the most difficult/advanced? Just looking for perspective, here :)

They are having my DD do a back walkover/back tuck dismount. 9 girls on the team, and I think 7 of them are doing cartwheel/back tuck dismounts. Beam is DD's weakest event, and I know many of the other girls are stronger at it, so I am assuming that they are having her do a weaker dismount. Thing is, her back walkovers are, to me, ugly. Bad shoulder flexibility and not quite straight legs...so I wonder (but not question, I have complete faith in our coaches) why they are giving her this dismount.

DD and all of her teammates did a front tuck for dismount at level 6. Haven't been working the cartwheel/back tuck until this year (for level 7).

This is what I found regarding requirements for level 6 beam-no mention of dismount needing a connection there, just that the dismount is a minimum of A:
  • 1 acro element that starts and finishes on the beam
  • 1 leap or jump requiring 180 degree split
  • 360 degree turn on one foot
  • min of “A” dismount”
Of course, the risk that they run with the harder dismount is more deductions when it's not done well. You can check out new level 6 youtube videos and see what other dismounts were done.

My Dd and all of her teammates did CWBT for L6 but we saw lots of FT too. Lots of CWBT in L7 too.

My dd is a level 6 and gets skills slower than her teammates(though, she does them beautifully when she does get them). She is doing a front tuck. Her one teammate is doing a cartwheel/backtuck, which they tell me is a level 7 skill.

I understand that there aren't points added or taken away for difficulty; but what is the skill level difference in beam dismounts? For that matter, what are the options? Front tuck, cartwheel/back tuck and backwalkover/back tuck? Which is considered the most difficult/advanced? Just looking for perspective, here :)
The back tuck and front tuck are both "A" skills. So while the back tuck in our gym is often done later than front tuck, they are worth the same.

Same with BWO and cartwheel. Both are As. Higher up levels require the connection of a skill to the dismount, so IMO connecting the BWO or CW is forward thinking :)

I don't think any of the dismounts you mentioned are any more or less advanced as they are all A skills. At this point learning dismounts is building foundations for future more difficult dismounts in later levels. So a Cartwheel-BT may turn into a RO- BT in L7 or L8. A BWO-BT may develop into a BHS-BT. A front tuck may lead into a Front pike, FLO or front Full eventually. At L6 and L7 the composition does not matter as long as all required elements are met, so it may just be that the BWO is working better for your dd right now.

Thank you, everyone...gymtigermom, especially...I guess that is what I was looking for. If there was a skill level difference, vs just one skill working better than the other, for an individual. Everything at our gym seems to have a meeting, but no one tells us what it is. Which I get...but it leaves a girl a-wondering :p

Thank you, everyone...gymtigermom, especially...I guess that is what I was looking for. If there was a skill level difference, vs just one skill working better than the other, for an individual. Everything at our gym seems to have a meeting, but no one tells us what it is. Which I get...but it leaves a girl a-wondering :p

Yeah- it always left me wondering when DD (or a teammate) seemed to be doing something different than everyone else. Now that compulsories are done, we are seeing it all the time, and going forward I expect there will be more diversity with each passing year.

This is what makes optionals SO nice. The coaches can choose the skill that best fits the gymnast AND meet the requirements. LOVE optionals :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back