WAG Level 6 beam requirement question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I KNOW that it's been discussed, but I locate the threads where it was. I've tried searching, but it doesn't seem to be working ;(

Anyway, my daughter is at a spot right now where she will be told in August if she will be Level 6, or if she will do a year of Xcel Gold (while working on L6 and L7 skills, to come back to JO).

She's gotten her beam routine.
I "thought" there had to be a BWOBWO OR a BHS requirement on beam for L6.
She has a BWO, but not two. She told me she has a split jump instead, which fulfills the "B" skill ( think that's what she said).

Can someone who knows for certain please tell me if this does fulfill Level 6 requirement, or is she being groomed for XG? (she's also got a cartwheel, a full turn, FT dismount)
(I know I can ask the coaches, but since we will know next month, I totally don't want to come across as pushy pushy to find out her level, you know?)

AND, is there somewhere online to find how many/what level skills are required for each level ALONG with a list of what skills are A, B or C?

Thank you!!

L6 Beam Requirements - 5 "A" and 1 "B"
*One Acro from Group 5, 6, or 7
*One Leap/Jump - 180º cross or side split
-isolated or in a series
*Min 1/1 turn on 1 foot
*Minimum "A" Dismount -w/wo hand support
1:15 Time Limit

A Split Jump is a B skill. Other B Beam skills include, but are not limited to: Side leap or leap 1/4, Straddle jump, Pike jump, Straight Jump 3/4, Cat leap 1/2, Tuck jump 1/2, Wolf jump 1/2, HS forward roll, no hand forward roll, back extension roll, FWO or FHS, Dive cartwheel or roundoff, Valdez, BHS

L6 Beam Requirements - 5 "A" and 1 "B"
*One Acro from Group 5, 6, or 7
*One Leap/Jump - 180º cross or side split
-isolated or in a series
*Min 1/1 turn on 1 foot
*Minimum "A" Dismount -w/wo hand support
1:15 Time Limit

A Split Jump is a B skill. Other B Beam skills include, but are not limited to: Side leap or leap 1/4, Straddle jump, Pike jump, Straight Jump 3/4, Cat leap 1/2, Tuck jump 1/2, Wolf jump 1/2, HS forward roll, no hand forward roll, back extension roll, FWO or FHS, Dive cartwheel or roundoff, Valdez, BHS

Thank you! So this could indeed qualify for a L6 routine.
That helps :)

When all else fails, trust the coach in approving a particular routine or the inclusion (or exclusion) of certain skills in a routine. There are just too many things that fall into the category of "the coach knows best" to be worrying about this. If a JO coach doesn't know what the skill requirements are for a given level, bad on them.

When all else fails, trust the coach in approving a particular routine or the inclusion (or exclusion) of certain skills in a routine. There are just too many things that fall into the category of "the coach knows best" to be worrying about this. If a JO coach doesn't know what the skill requirements are for a given level, bad on them.

I do trust the coach - I was just trying to figure out ahead of time if they've already made up their mind that she would be Xcel instead of L6, but don't want to ask and be pushy CGM :)
So the fact that her skills do meet L6 requirements, there's still hope! LOL!

Reactions: sce
I know the feeling of 'what is the coach going to do'? I go through this because I don't like asking the coach too many questions! LOL
All she needs is a BWO and then the B skill.....she does not need a series like BWO-BWO connected. As I understand, she needs a connected series for L7 and a BHS.
My DD is deciding on the split jump or FWO for the B skill.........she will probably put both in, and expect the split jump to be downgraded to an A. Sure beats a Valdez or the jumps with a half turn! Those are hard!!!!!!

L6 requires neither a series nor a BHS. You can even do a cartwheel on beam in 6. Please note, I am speaking directly of USAG bare bones requirements, not what an individual coach or gym requires locally.

Thank you all!
I'm glad it qualifies for 6 :)

Now I'm (im)patiently waiting to see if DD gets her cast to handstand. She tells me she's "close", but I have no idea what that means...

I should know in 2 weeks which way they are aiming with her, as we have to register for a travel meet, and the costs for XG and 6 are different. So coaches will make judgement call (regardless of HAVING the skills at that moment, more like if they EXPECT her to have them in time).

I've always trusted HCs, and this is no different. I'm just going through the annual "will she/won't she"... Not my favorite time of year for sure!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back