Level 7 Bars routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What would be the start value of the following level 7 bar routine.

kip, Cast to hand stand, clear hip circle to handstand, pike on... jump to the high bar, kip, cast to hand stand and layout flyaway. (No giants, no second clear hip).

Thanks....

Your description of the routine is not very clear-- does she do a clear hip HS to an immediate sole circle, or is it a clear hip HS, kip, pike on?

For either routine, if the gymnast hit both of the cast handstands, it would start from a 9.5 (missing a 2nd circling element).

ETA: If the gymnast missed both cast handstands, the SV could be as low as an 8.5 or 8.6, depending on her exact low bar sequence.

Last edited:
I think she needs two B circling elements, which is the clear-hip to handstand, but she doesn't have another one. Could she do another clear-hip to HS on high bar?

Doesn't the bar routine need to have 7 elements in it? If she's doing a sole circle, does that count as an element? I was thinking about the routine my dd is planning on doing and wondering if it isn't missing an A.

your start value will be between a 9.0 and a 9.5. u need at least 2 "B's" in the routine and u olny have 1. try to get the seccond "B" and your score will go up. trust me i am a level 7 too!:bars:

What would be the start value of the following level 7 bar routine.

kip, Cast to hand stand, clear hip circle to handstand, pike on... jump to the high bar, kip, cast to hand stand and layout flyaway. (No giants, no second clear hip).

Thanks....

She has 7 or 8 elements (depending on what exactly she does on LB) and 3 Bs if she hits both cast handstands.

Please, people, don't comment on SVs and routines if you don't know the skill values cold.

Thanks. So the jump to the high bar is an element in the JO code I take it? I'm familiar with the FIG code, but don't really know JO.

Kip= A
Cast to HS = B (or a 0 if not within 20* of HS)
Clear hip HS = for L7, considered a B as long as it's at horizontal or higher

(this is where I'm not sure what her routine is)
Kip, Squat on/sole circle + jump to HB = A, A (no, the jump to HB isn't a skill by itself)
immediate sole circle out of clear hip = A

long hang kip = A
Cast to HS = B (or a 0 if it's not within 20*)
Flyaway = A

If the SV was lower than expected (theoretically a 9.5), it's probably because one of the casts wasn't high enough to get B credit, so she lost the value for the skill.

Okay; so I think I'm being dense, but it seems to me like my dd's routine is short an element.

She's doing: 1. glide kip (A); squat on jump to high bar (not an element) 2. long hang kip (A); 3. cast handstand (B) 4. giant (B) 5. Clear hip circle (B); 6. layout flyaway (A).

In the OP's routine, can the gymnast count three kips?

A squat on, jump to high bar is considered a skill (2.102). They aren't considered separate skills. The only way she would be short an element is if her cast HS doesn't get to 20* from HS.

As far as the kip question-- 1.101 is a glide kip on LB, and I think a long hang kip HB is 1.106 in USAG (but don't quote me on that; I'm sick, and my brain is mushy). FWIW, the shorthand is different for a LB kip and a long hang kip.

Okay; so I think I'm being dense, but it seems to me like my dd's routine is short an element.

She's doing: 1. glide kip (A); squat on jump to high bar (not an element) 2. long hang kip (A); 3. cast handstand (B) 4. giant (B) 5. Clear hip circle (B); 6. layout flyaway (A).

In the OP's routine, can the gymnast count three kips?

It sounds good to me!
You see, a giant is a B, and as long as the clear hip is around 45 above horizontal it is a B.

Just to let the forum know, a clear hip to a handstand is not a B. It is a C, but an allowable C in level 7.

Just to set variety out here, this is what I do for my bar routine:

Kip Cast to Handstand (B)
Clearhip to Handstand(ish) (B or C)
Kip Tuck On Jump to High Bar (A)
Kip Cast to Handstand (B)
Giant (B)
Layout Flyaway (A)

Most level 7's do this routine, or with two giants.

-Lauren

Kip= A
Cast to HS = B (or a 0 if not within 20* of HS)
Clear hip HS = for L7, considered a B as long as it's at horizontal or higher

(this is where I'm not sure what her routine is)
Kip, Squat on/sole circle + jump to HB = A, A (no, the jump to HB isn't a skill by itself)
immediate sole circle out of clear hip = A

long hang kip = A
Cast to HS = B (or a 0 if it's not within 20*)
Flyaway = A

If the SV was lower than expected (theoretically a 9.5), it's probably because one of the casts wasn't high enough to get B credit, so she lost the value for the skill.

Thank you... our new level 7's (they are doing 6/7 double season) didn't have their giants for the first couple of meets, they are working right now to put their giants in their routines. They all have the same routine and their start values were either 9.5, 9.2 or 8.6 depending how high her casts were, that explains a lot. Their coach does not wanted to put the second clear hip in the high cast because they are very close to get their giants, and he does not want them to "pull in".

The standard L7 watered down bar routine I've seen the most is as follows:
1. Kip
2. Cast
3. Clear hip
4. Kip cast squat or pike on
5. LH kip cast
6. Giant
7. Fly away

The original post is missing a second circling element.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back