Parents Looking for a coach's opinion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sportsmommy

Proud Parent
My dd just finished her second year as a level 5. She finished very strong. She has been uptraining for several months and has all of her next level skilld except bwo on beam. The problem is she really struggles with fear on beam. Fear of the cw on beam was what kept her in level 5 for two years. At this point our teams gymnast will do one of three things. Go to excel, go on to compete new 5, or skip the new 5 and go on to optionals. Earlier in the year, the coach was going to have her do the bump up meet but she wasnt ready for the bwo. We will find out what the plan is for my dd in a few weeks but she is nervous. She is really wanting to get to optionals. I am so afriad she will be disappointed. I just wondered what other coaches might do if they had a gymnast who did well on all but one event. I should add at meets her beam is her strongest scoring event. She just has a hard time with the skills.

Just depends on your gym...could go either way depending on how the gym is structured.

We would be working the BHS on beam for new L6. If she could not get it...we would probably still take her L6 with an alternate skill.

One of the qualities I try to instill in kids is the belief that "We do this every day, and it's no big deal." With that character trait as a tool to work with, they can do whatever skills they have prepared for without lugging around a bunch of fear or anxiety. I don't know if your dd is lacking that basic tool, or if the coaches feel the same way I do about it, or if your dd resist that entire notion.

No matter what the reason, moving her to any level that detours around the issue, or that requires even more from her, is not a good thing. It seems that the coaches are working with a good plan, and are waiting for something or someone to convince her that the skills are not that difficult, nor dangerous. Painful at times maybe, but once the skills been taken care of, all that pain is in the review mirror and everything ahead looks better.

Or so we hope.

My dd just finished her second year as a level 5. She finished very strong. She has been uptraining for several months and has all of her next level skilld except bwo on beam. The problem is she really struggles with fear on beam. Fear of the cw on beam was what kept her in level 5 for two years. At this point our teams gymnast will do one of three things. Go to excel, go on to compete new 5, or skip the new 5 and go on to optionals. Earlier in the year, the coach was going to have her do the bump up meet but she wasnt ready for the bwo. We will find out what the plan is for my dd in a few weeks but she is nervous. She is really wanting to get to optionals. I am so afriad she will be disappointed. I just wondered what other coaches might do if they had a gymnast who did well on all but one event. I should add at meets her beam is her strongest scoring event. She just has a hard time with the skills.

i dunno, maybe it's just me. i see nothing wrong with disappointment. it's what makes the spirit stronger. she is a beginning competitive gymnast. this is all part of the process. :)

It is not just you, dunno. The dissapointments, setbacks, challenges (call them what you will) are indeed the things that make our athletes stronger. My Lvl 9 dd had 3 different beam series last season due to skill issues and each setback made her reach higher. Was she upset and angry? Of course; but she got over it and ended the season doing a beam series that will be good enough for Lvl 10 and that she is not hesitant about at all.

That is very true. I should have said I didnt want her to be disappointed again. She has had plenty. She has been struggling with beam for 2 years. She has had many set backs and disappointments. This might be her limit.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

That is very true. I should have said I didnt want her to be disappointed again. She has had plenty. She has been struggling with beam for 2 years. She has had many set backs and disappointments. This might be her limit.
=
Again, how is her back handspring on beam? Can she do a front walkover? If she just is afraid of beam and resists any of these skills, then have her compete excel.

=
Again, how is her back handspring on beam? Can she do a front walkover? If she just is afraid of beam and resists any of these skills, then have her compete excel.

She hasnt tried these skills as far as i know

I asked my dd about other beam skills. She has never tried her fwo on beam. She likes doing the bhs on beam with a spot. She doesnt like the bwo at all. I suppose thats something.

So we had our coaches meeting and she is going to do a year of excel. She is was disappointed at first but now she is getting excited. I think it is the rest decision. I do have some concerns. At our gym the excel girls are those that have other interests and are not in the gym as much. They arent as committed. The coaches treat them ok but they dont take the excel girls as serious. For example, the excel girls have a different, easier conditioning schedule. Our gym is big on dividing levels. They are all the same team, same coach, same practice times. My dd still plans on going back to the jo program next year but i am worried that she will fall behind. There have already been comments implying that the jo girls come first. I am not sure how i should approach this with the coaches. I dont think it would happen on purpose. I would like to add that my dd has been on the team longer than most. I feel like she should still get the same consideration and time as the girls who are just moving to optionals. She has been right there with them except for beam. Am i wrong to expect this?

sportsmommy -

To be honest, this decision you have been handed would send up a red flag for me. Frankly, how is doing a year at Xcel going to help her JO beam skills? The whole purpose of Xcel is to let the girls do skills that they are comfortable with and not push them to do skills that are challenging. So let me summarize: she will be doing skills with lower expectations, less conditioning, and working out with girls that "aren't as committed" (your words). Tell me how these are good things? It is almost like they are writing her off. A face-to-face meeting with the coach is definitely in order and most likely a search for a new gym.

Good Luck.

Did they tell you in the meeting that she will be able to move back to JO in a year? I'm with Meet Director--I'm not seeing how a year with lower hours, less conditioning and less expectations is going to help her overcome a beam fear.

It could be a red flag or it could be putting her in situation where the pressure is off to do that BWO by a certain date to move up, compete, etc. She can continue to progress on the other events and learn harder skills where she is ready. Without the pressure the BWO may come. Just a thought.

If she truly plans to return to JO next year, could she do some extra conditioning or maybe one extra practice a week with the JO team while competing Excel? I'd be hesitant for my child to leave the JO program and do less hours and conditioning. Is the plan for her to work on her optional skills then go into JO Level 5 or 6 next year if she can get her back walkover? Is it common for girls to switch back and forth between programs at your gym? I see the dilemma, that they can't let her move forward without the bwo on beam, but I'm not sure the move to Excel for a year solves the problem.

The coach did say it was to take the pressure off. The coach also said that if she pushes past her issues she will go back to jo. I do worry that with less conditioning and expectations she wont be able to go back to jo. She will practice with the optional team. She isnt required to go as many days but she can go as much as the optionals. The coach is just more serious about the optionals. I am worried she will slip through the cracks. I am afraid if i say anything i will come across as a cgm complaining that my dd isnt getting treated fairly.

The coach did say it was to take the pressure off. The coach also said that if she pushes past her issues she will go back to jo. I do worry that with less conditioning and expectations she wont be able to go back to jo. She will practice with the optional team. She isnt required to go as many days but she can go as much as the optionals. The coach is just more serious about the optionals. I am worried she will slip through the cracks. I am afraid if i say anything i will come across as a cgm complaining that my dd isnt getting treated fairly.

I'm trying to figure out how long your daughter's group has been working back walkovers on beam. Based on her two seasons of level 5, and the tendency to train the next set of compulsory skills as soon as the current level's skills have been learned and properly done, my guess is she's had a year of time to work under the direction of a coach. It also seems that all the other events are doing fine, but beam seems to have a problem from top to bottom in terms of acro skills, so it seems the problem isn't with her vestibular system....... but I don't claim to know everything about vestibular issues, and could be wrong.

Given a year from the point of learning a credible bwo on a floor line, a child will have a bwo on beam, or they won't, and it's likely to stay that way no matter what a coach does. Your daughter has likely been given the same amount of instruction as her peers, so what else can the coach do? We coaches can only coach what a child gives us to work with. Presenting that work to the coach is up to your daughter, because it's simply not practical, nor advisable, for a coach to force children beyond what they feel they can do.

Nudge a bit, teach a lot, work on basics, and build up a body capable of the skills.... sure, but that's about it unless you want a coach to start threatening consequences, throwing tantrums, and badgering your kid. The sad reality is your child *is* the only one who can step foot on the beam and do *her* bwo..... not the coach, not a team mate, and not her caring, loving mother.

Does your daughter understand that aspect of gymnastics?

I'm trying to figure out how long your daughter's group has been working back walkovers on beam. Based on her two seasons of level 5, and the tendency to train the next set of compulsory skills as soon as the current level's skills have been learned and properly done, my guess is she's had a year of time to work under the direction of a coach. It also seems that all the other events are doing fine, but beam seems to have a problem from top to bottom in terms of acro skills, so it seems the problem isn't with her vestibular system....... but I don't claim to know everything about vestibular issues, and could be wrong.

Given a year from the point of learning a credible bwo on a floor line, a child will have a bwo on beam, or they won't, and it's likely to stay that way no matter what a coach does. Your daughter has likely been given the same amount of instruction as her peers, so what else can the coach do? We coaches can only coach what a child gives us to work with. Presenting that work to the coach is up to your daughter, because it's simply not practical, nor advisable, for a coach to force children beyond what they feel they can do.

Nudge a bit, teach a lot, work on basics, and build up a body capable of the skills.... sure, but that's about it unless you want a coach to start threatening consequences, throwing tantrums, and badgering your kid. The sad reality is your child *is* the only one who can step foot on the beam and do *her* bwo..... not the coach, not a team mate, and not her caring, loving mother.

Does your daughter understand that aspect of gymnastics?

She does know this. I know this. The coaches have done everything they can including giving her consequences and badgering. I know it must be frustrating for a coach to know a gymnast can do something but the gymnast wont because she doesnt think she can. I understand where the coach is coming from. I just dont want her to be treated less important because she is in excel instead of optionals. She works hard and has a lot of talent. She also is very passionate about the sport. She never gives up either. She gets on the beam every night there and tries to do it but she is just afraid. She may never get over it.

She does know this. I know this. The coaches have done everything they can including giving her consequences and badgering. I know it must be frustrating for a coach to know a gymnast can do something but the gymnast wont because she doesnt think she can. I understand where the coach is coming from. I just dont want her to be treated less important because she is in excel instead of optionals. She works hard and has a lot of talent. She also is very passionate about the sport. She never gives up either. She gets on the beam every night there and tries to do it but she is just afraid. She may never get over it.

I was struck by your comment about not wanting your DD to be treated as less important, and I think you may need to adjust your expectations. This is my observation and not meant to be disrespectful: plenty of kids on all sorts of teams are less important and naturally are treated that way because it is impossible to treat everyone the same, with the same amount of attention, time, and coaching. My DD is a 13 year old new level 5/6. She is not as important as the level 8,9,10s or the hot shot 9-10 year olds, even though she is somewhat talented, is hard-working, dedicated, focused, etc. She was even state champ at level 5 last year, but the fact is she is less important than some of the girls.

Also, eventually there is the point of dimishing return. The coaches can only try to get this skill from her for so long. Our gym has lost plenty of very talents gymnasts because they developed fear issues and simply would not do skills that they had the talent to do. Sometimes these kids had to do Prep Opt instead and many simply left gymnastics.

I truly hope you DD gets the beam figured out and has lots of success. I simply think you may need to adjust your desires for her, for your own sanity. Good luck to your DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back