WAG Missing two weeks right before the first meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
DD came down with pneumonia somehow. Missed last week and is supposed to sit this week even though she now appears healthy (doctor's orders). First meet is in two weeks, so the timing is not great. She was looking great and really excited about finally having a meet again.

She is confident that her skills are as sharp as ever, but I'm hoping she doesn't have a bad surprise when she goes back next week and finds that she's tired and rusty.

Confidence in herself can help a lot. Hopefully the rest will do her good. Will her coach make her miss the first meet, since she's missed so much practice right before it? (ours might--especially if practice next week doesn't go well)

Confidence in herself can help a lot. Hopefully the rest will do her good. Will her coach make her miss the first meet, since she's missed so much practice right before it? (ours might--especially if practice next week doesn't go well)
I doubt he'd do that. She'll have three practices the week before the meet, so I'm assuming the first one will be a bit rough and she'll get better from there.

It's hard staring at an apparently healthy kid (symptom free for the last 4 days) and telling her she doesn't get to go to practice (especially when I'm not even sure why myself). She's already pointed out the reverse of the argument we've made in the past ("if you're too sick for school, you're too sick for practice"), arguing that since she's back in school, she should be back in practice.

Just remind her that she needs a lot more stamina for gymnastics than she does for school and if she goes back too soon, she may end up relapsing and being out even longer!

And our coach will pull them from a meet if practice the week of the meet goes badly--you need to be solid the week before to compete (although it seems they do make exceptions!). We had one family who was gone on vacation the week before Optional state meet--her daughter had already been struggling on vault. Vault warm-ups went horribly. We parents could see she wasn't flipping them well. Coach made her vault a FHS instead. Mom was furious claiming he was just getting back at her for missing practice the week before. No, in this case, he probably saved her life--or at least a broken limb!

I'm sure your daughter will be fine though! Rest up and she'll be 100% for next week.

DD came down with pneumonia somehow. Missed last week and is supposed to sit this week even though she now appears healthy (doctor's orders). First meet is in two weeks, so the timing is not great. She was looking great and really excited about finally having a meet again.

She is confident that her skills are as sharp as ever, but I'm hoping she doesn't have a bad surprise when she goes back next week and finds that she's tired and rusty.

please refer to the 6 week/3 week training rule in the other thread. i don't remember your daughter's age & competitive level, but pneumonia can be insidious and relapses common and can lead to Mono. and the condition can be worse in teens. this 1st meet can possibly wait depending on her age and level? :)

She's a 9 y/o level 5. It's not likely critical to her training or progress at all. Just frustrating to watch after 10 months of her anticipation.

this would be okay. just make sure her energy level is good near that time. your frustration meter will be way high if she ends up with Mono from pushing to fast to soon. even level 5 is rigorous given where their bodies are at at this age and level of gymnastics.:)

please refer to the 6 week/3 week training rule in the other thread. i don't remember your daughter's age & competitive level, but pneumonia can be insidious and relapses common and can lead to Mono. and the condition can be worse in teens. this 1st meet can possibly wait depending on her age and level? :)

So true Dunno...my daughter got pneumonia in February of this year and wasn't back to her "normal" gymnastics self until May!! She was really down for the count for 3 weeks (i.e. no gym) and the endurance took weeks to return as she would be so winded just doing her warm ups and conditioning...but just looking at her, she "looked" great, went to school etc but she really had to tailor her training to what she was able to do for those couple of months...she missed a few meets but came back in time for Regionals and JOs so it'll get better but it's definitely something to watch out for..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back