Mobility Scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anybody know the mobility scores for the USAG levels 4-10?

And, is it an all around score, or do they have to hit a certain score on every event?

The USAG mobility scores are "the bare minimum".......every gym sets their own requirements, which are usually much, much higher. such as at 1 gym, in order to move from level 5 to 6, required 2 AA scores of 34 or higher, AND no single event score could be lower than an 8. At another gym, to move from 5 to 6, they required an AA of 36.

Yup! But hopefully her coach wouldn't do that to her!

It' was totally hypothetical, and I was just throwing it out there. I really just wanted to make sure that this is really the way it is.

Why aren't the usag mobility requirements set to a little bit higher a standard? Does anyone know why they don't have to achieve a certain score per event?

My experience is that parents of compulsories are the ones most concerned with mobility scores. My understanding on why mobility scores (and qualifying scores at States) are so low, is that USAG wants to be INclusive rather than EXclusive. Especially at the lower levels, the goal is to keep children interested in the sport and if the qualifying scores were 36s, then I'd wager that you'd have a tremendously higher drop-out rate from one level to the next. Also, not all gyms are out to make the next Olympian. Some gyms are less competitive, more recreational and therefore the focus isn't necessarily on form and technique or the details that get those higher scores.

It' was totally hypothetical, and I was just throwing it out there. I really just wanted to make sure that this is really the way it is.

Why aren't the usag mobility requirements set to a little bit higher a standard? Does anyone know why they don't have to achieve a certain score per event?

Sometimes a certain event and a child just don't jell. We had a child that had great results on vault, beam and floor but bars was a nightmare. If it had a requirement than she would never get out of level 4. That would have been frustrating and she would have quit the sport she enjoyed otherwise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back