Moving from Level 7 to Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

Is the jump from level 7 to level 8 a difficult one? If so, what are the required skills that gymnasts tend to have difficulty? I've read Level 7 to Level 8 bars is not a big one, but that the vault may be tricky. I am looking for both experiences from gymnasts who have made this transition as well anyone who has information on the L7 to L8 skills on all events. Thanks for your time.

The 2 toughest things for my dd1 were the vault and the front double salto (FHS-FP-FT)...luckily there was a workaround for the double salto, but the vault not so much...

Bars was very similar only with the added pirouette on the low bar and extra giant on highbar, and beam was similar as well-all she changed was BHS-BHS instead of BWO-BHS, and RO LO instead of RO tuck dismount...

I guess the transition can be very different depending on which routines/skills the gymnast competes at L7....

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it will be vault that will be the difficulty for my dd as they want their L8s to do a flipping vault. Our gym also requires fhs/flo/ft or fp, which may also prove hard to get.

My DD is repeating L7 this year becuase she has yet to conquer the L8 vault. Our Gym requires L8's to do Yuerchenkos, she can do the 1st part (the BHS on) but is afriad to flip the vault off the table. She will flip it off a big block mat though.

She is doing L7 this year with a partial L8 bar routine (on high bar a giant, Free hip hanstand, giant, LO dismount) she is acutally competing this for the 1st time this weekend. (could be a disaster :) ) she has the beam and floor skills down. I am pretty sure she may never do that vault :)

It's too bad that your gym won't let your DD do a tsuke vault at L8! It sounds like she has all the other skills.... it's too bad they'll hold her back on this one skill!! My thinking would be to allow her to compete the tsuke and continue training the yerchenko...

The biggest differences at level 8 are that you now have to have 4 Bs instead of 2. That isn't too big of a deal but if you aren't strong on bars doing at least free hip handstand and giants that would be tough. You do have to have the flight on beam and the double salto on floor, but most kids if they struggle anywhere it is bars. Even a clean level 7 bars routine still needs the upgrade to a pirouette or flight skill. I think the jump from 7 to 8 isn't too bad though... nothing like the jump to 9 where you have to factor in bonus skills etc.

Tumblequeensmom,

I agree 100% with you. It makes no sense to me either. I think my dd was relieved because she has big issues with doing that vault.

The hardest things for me to do change from level 7 to level 8 was the pirouette on the bar, connection on beam, and the tsuk omn vault

I think how hard the transition is really depends on the individual and her strengths/weaknesses in the gym. I think vault and bars are probably the hardest for a lot of girls, but as you can see from previous posters, everyone seems to have their own hurdle in making the transition. A lot of girls are now doing a bwo-bhs series in level 7, which works just as well in level 8 (provided there are other B skills throughout). I think the 1/2 pirouette on bars gets a lot of girls, but if the child has really strong cast to hs as a level 7, that might be less of a challenge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back