Parents New Bar Setting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
DD has had a terrible time the last few weeks with her L4 bars...It was weird because she was doing great with the routine for months, and then she fell off the HB down on her back. She was fine but shaken up. Since then she couldn't do her squat on. She would pause, and think, and pause, and then squat on, and fall back etc.....painful to watch.

Then, lo and behold, coach changed one of the bars to a very small setting to accommodate a new small L4 girl. DD went to try it and BAM!!! It was like EASY PEAZY!!! She was flying like I haven't seen her in weeks, smiling the whole time!
I congratulated her after class, and she said that the Bar Set made her feel SAFE........I cant believe such a small thing could make such a huge difference!
life is good again. :p

Aw, yay for your dd!! Its awesome how something so small can help boost their confidence again :D

So glad to hear that she worked it out. It is amazing what the bar settings can do. DD had the opposite problem. She was doing great then jsut couldn't get a skill. Coach sent her to the wider setting and next thing you know she was doing it!

Good for her!!
Our gym has all the girls compete at the "big girl" settings, no individual changes. Every now and then I see them change the practice set while the younger girls are practicing certain skills, but it goes right back to wide..! :)

Our gym basically competes on one of 4 bar sets: FIG, Big Bars close setting, Little bars wide setting, and Little bars close setting. We have 2 sets of Unevens, so there isn't as much changing of the settings in practice as you would expect.

Hey, coach changed it and it worked like a charm......it's HIS can of worms during the meets!!!!!!
Im just happy that DD confidence is back. Can she do it on the wide setting? Of course, she was just freaked out about killing herself! Maybe a few weeks of this and her fear will be over.

I never underestimate when my gymnast kids feel like they are going to 'kill' themselves.....it is truly the feeling they have, they are not kidding or exaggerating. My DS was afraid of death itself swinging up to handstand on PBars when he was 8..... The coach was like the grim reaper to him!!!!

DD, who is a very small 13 year old, did her first set of giants on the real bars with a straddle to miss the low bar. Happy for her that it was somewhat easier than she expected it to be, but a little bit sad at still one more sign that she's not that cute little girl out there any more.

OMG, the pbars handstand freakouts . . . DS overbalanced one early in L4 and would not go to handstand again for a year! Though at this point I am sort of missing the days when a crash would put a good scare into him for at least a little while. (And when fear returns, I'll complain about that as well!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back