WAG New Level 6 vs. Current Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Can anyone describe the difference in skill requirements for the new level 6 year vs. the current level 6? Thanks!

like all the optional levels, we won't know the requirements until may. it looks like it will be like a current 6.5. Not sure what that will translate to though. Sounds like new level 5 will be a little easier than current 6 (possibly lower angle requirements), so that might mean that those requirements will be the focus in new 6.

You busy don't know how lucky you are to get the notice that you get when levels and skills change. But it seems it causes a lot of discussion and worry.

in my state (in Australia) when the routines are changed we get an email something like this.

Dear Clubs,

We decided to change the routines, here are the new routines they will be implemented immediately. See you all at the competition tomorrow, we look forward to seeing the new routines then.

Love the Gymnastics governing body

One year (2006) the routines and skill requirements changed 3 times in one year. Kids were changing their routines at the competitions because the judges were saying "no that was last weeks routines, didn't you get the memo on Wednesday". I am not even exaggerating, this did happen.

Aussie that is sooo crazy! Must drive you mad

I guess it should, but to tell the truth I love a challenge! And it sure keeps the kids on their toes.

it gets a little annoying when a kid has spent 6 months mastering a skill and then it is removed from the routine. But as gymnast they still gained a lot of benefit working towards mastering that skill anyway.

like all the optional levels, we won't know the requirements until may. it looks like it will be like a current 6.5. Not sure what that will translate to though. Sounds like new level 5 will be a little easier than current 6 (possibly lower angle requirements), so that might mean that those requirements will be the focus in new 6.

The new 5 is basically the current 6. What they did was add a new level between the current 6 and current 7, like a 6.5. I believe the New 6's will be like a per-7 or the girls who can't get the giants. It will probably also be a 3rd year of FHS vault, suggesting some tweaks that are a little harder will be made to L7 which will mostly stay the same.

The new 5 is basically the current 6. What they did was add a new level between the current 6 and current 7, like a 6.5. I believe the New 6's will be like a per-7 or the girls who can't get the giants. It will probably also be a 3rd year of FHS vault, suggesting some tweaks that are a little harder will be made to L7 which will mostly stay the same.
From what I heard plus looking the description found on usage site the new level they created is between the current level 8 & 9 so they bumped the levels down a number to fit it in. This way the jump from 8 to 9 is a more gradual transition. The chart also describes the options coaches have in determining what new level to put gymnasts in.

From what I heard plus looking the description found on usage site the new level they created is between the current level 8 & 9 so they bumped the levels down a number to fit it in. This way the jump from 8 to 9 is a more gradual transition.

It's not quite as simple as that for the optional levels, though no one will know for sure until it's announced in May. Only the compulsory levels were a direct drop down in number. I think gymgal and westernsuzy are correct in that the new 6 is like a 6.5. The switch between 6 and 7 previously caused a lot of people to compete prep-op for a year, so maybe they are trying to fix that. And also the jump between 8 and 9 will be less. My understanding, from what I've read here and on the USAG site, is that it'll be something like this:

new 3 = old 4
new 4 = old 5
new 5 = old 6
new 6 = old 6.5 (approx)
new 7 = old 7.5 (approx)
new 8 = old 8.5 (approx)
new 9 = old 9
new 10 = old 10

Only the compulsories are set in stone, I think the rest is conjecture, but it makes sense looking at what they've said so far. The old L 6's have the choice to go to either new 5, new 6, OR new 7.

but according to usag (http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior%20Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf) levels 7 - 10 are NOT changing, except for the usual tweeks. They are adding a 6.5 that is between the current 6 and current 7. Next year, the current 6 will be called 5.

Level 8 is changing according to the chart. FYI, L8 currently does not allow "C" skills, except for a few exceptions for dance and a bar requirement, so even though it will still be called L8, it will be harder. Also, L7 will probably require more B skills than the 2 it currently requires, which would make it closer to the current 8 which at this time requires 4 B skills. It is true that L9 and L10 are not changing except for the usual tweeks.

I'm guessing that the new L6 will have a 5th event in women's gymnastics. I think it will be a cross between pommel horse and rings.

The new L6 is a level to stop the compulsory bleed into the Xcel program.

I'm guessing that the new L6 will have a 5th event in women's gymnastics. I think it will be a cross between pommel horse and rings.

The new L6 is a level to stop the compulsory bleed into the Xcel program.

Hang from the rings while swiveling around the pommel horse? That could be fun to watch! Lol.
I think it will be nice to stop the bleed into the Xcel program and help keep the Xcel program separate for the Xcel gymnasts.

Hang from the rings while swiveling around the pommel horse? That could be fun to watch! Lol.
I think it will be nice to stop the bleed into the Xcel program and help keep the Xcel program separate for the Xcel gymnasts.

That's the event for me!! I had a pretty good scissor swing on the rings, and finished them with a side up-rise. Now, would someone please push that darn pommel horse out of the way so I can dismount into my tumble run......

You busy don't know how lucky you are to get the notice that you get when levels and skills change. But it seems it causes a lot of discussion and worry.

in my state (in Australia) when the routines are changed we get an email something like this.

Dear Clubs,

We decided to change the routines, here are the new routines they will be implemented immediately. See you all at the competition tomorrow, we look forward to seeing the new routines then.

Love the Gymnastics governing body

One year (2006) the routines and skill requirements changed 3 times in one year. Kids were changing their routines at the competitions because the judges were saying "no that was last weeks routines, didn't you get the memo on Wednesday". I am not even exaggerating, this did happen.

I liked it because you made me laugh, but I am sorry, it must be so hard on the kids (and not at ALL stressful for the coaches, lol. :) )

I was wondering if we knew yet what the major skills would be, like BWO-BWO or BWO-BHSSO on beam. Would floor be looking for a BT like current level 6 or would they be looking for layout, as a step up, or somthing else? I am just having a hard time imagining what the requirements might be that aren't what is already required for level 7.

I was wondering if we knew yet what the major skills would be, like BWO-BWO or BWO-BHSSO on beam. Would floor be looking for a BT like current level 6 or would they be looking for layout, as a step up, or somthing else? I am just having a hard time imagining what the requirements might be that aren't what is already required for level 7.
At most, it will have the same requirements as current level 7. It seems like there are many who have reason to believe that it will be a little below the current level 7.

The "special Requirements" will not be set until May, so until then we don't know. For example, the current L7 has a special requirement of a layout on the floor. Other than that, they will be requiring 1 or 2 B skills (do not yet know if they will require 2 as the current L7 or just one as a stepping stone (my guess would be just one). On beam the current L7 requires a series with or without flight as well as one flight element so the new L6 would not be harder than that. Now, what your gym may require may be different, as some gyms require girls to have more than the minimum. My guess is that the new 6 will be very similar to the current 7, with a few changes like not deducting for every cast that does not go to handstand.

http://usagym.org/pages/women/events/jocompulsories/pdfs/feature_preparepoc.pdf

Page 3 of this powerpoint doc from USAG has the proposed list of value part requirements. As others have said, the special requirements for each level will not be released until May, but this is the latest I have seen on the breakdown. New level 6 is proposed to have 5 A skills and 1 B. New 7 is 5 A's and 2 B's as it is now. Both 6 & 7 will not allow C, D or E skills other than 3 C exceptions on bars. 8 is 4 A's 4 B's with one C allowed to count as a B (this is a change for 8 - currently no C skills allowed) plus all C dance skills allowed. 9 is 3 A's, 4 B's and 1 C with 1 D/E allowed to count as C plus all D/E dance. 10 is 3 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's with no restrictions for D/E skills.

Ok...I'll ask since no one else is...

What are the A B C D etc skills? (I haven't a clue, though I'm sure all the coaches know)

And A B C D Dance skills?

Just...for examples. Just because I'm a curious parent.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back