Parents Olympian files lawsuit against USAG physician

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

just for interest I googled the Dr accused.

1st result, the Guardian article ( probably because of my location)
2nd result, MSU bio telling me what a great guy he is.

Guilty or not, and we must assume that he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, it should surely be prudent to take down any information and await the outcome of any proceedings ?

As long as the only thing discussed is what is in the news then we do not have to take anything down.

The two law suits are from girls who did not really know each other, from other sides of the country. Plus the MSU case. Also we have been made aware there there are other victims who have come forward.

The assumption of innocence in a case like this is difficult. More than that people do need to know about Dr Nassar, because he is still practicing.

Remember too that assumption of innocence and the need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt are concepts in the criminal law context. One need not be shown to be culpable at that level of certainty to suffer negative consequences in other walks of life. In fact, in some American states, people work in an employment-at-will context and can be fired for any reason that does not violate anti-discrimination laws. Even in states without employment at will and in unionized environments (i.e., public schools), employees accused of gross misconduct are frequently suspended while an investigation is taking place.

Once we get into the realm of speech, there's even less restriction. For a public figure, the only kind of speech that can be punished is knowing falsehoods disseminated with actual malice.

As long as the only thing discussed is what is in the news then we do not have to take anything down.

The two law suits are from girls who did not really know each other, from other sides of the country. Plus the MSU case. Also we have been made aware there there are other victims who have come forward.

The assumption of innocence in a case like this is difficult. More than that people do need to know about Dr Nassar, because he is still practicing.

i think she meant that MSU should take down the bio about him.

I wasn't sure myself what she was referring to either. The English have a funny way with the Language, ya know.;)

Not that is not what I meant. There is a 2014 complaint at MSU against Nassar, it was dismissed. Let me find the link for you.

Definitely nothing to do with the fact American's cannot read English. :cool:

Not that is not what I meant. There is a 2014 complaint at MSU against Nassar, it was dismissed. Let me find the link for you.

Definitely nothing to do with the fact American's cannot read English. :cool:
I mean no one was saying we should have to take things down here. But I'm kinda confused now and its a moot point anyway because you've said our discussion is fine. :)

Aren't these civil cases? If so, then the burden of proof that he did something wrong isn't nearly as high. Think OJ Simpson, found innocent in the criminal case, found guilty in the civil case.

That said, if these are only civil suits, then nothing is going to go on his criminal record from them unless the police also get involved. He needs a criminal record. He needs to be on the sex offenders' registry. He needs to not only face financial punishment (pretty much all that will come from a civil case) and he needs to legally not be able to touch a kid/teen again. For now, I would think that any gym would distance themselves FAR from him because if they know about these risks from him (as they now must) then they are also implicating themselves for responsibility if they recommend him or have him on site to work with their girls.

This is awful. I cant even think of the right sentence, in english or english that sums it up......a nightmare.
crying for the families.

I've known Larry since he was an athletic trainer & I am shocked. I not only consider him a great physician, but a great dad/family man. I never could have seen this coming. I hope it's not true, but if it is I am outraged that something like this could go on this long.

He needs a criminal record. He needs to be on the sex offenders' registry. He needs to not only face financial punishment (pretty much all that will come from a civil case) and he needs to legally not be able to touch a kid/teen again. For now, I would think that any gym would distance themselves FAR from him because if they know about these risks from him (as they now must) then they are also implicating themselves for responsibility if they recommend him or have him on site to work with their girls.

There is a criminal investigation and there have been multiple new allegations. There are comments from the prosecutor in this article:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ors-field-new-complaints-msu-doctor/90446052/

He may still be listed on their website, but the article states this: Nassar, 53, remains employed by the university but was relieved of clinical and patient duties on Aug. 30.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back