Parents Olympian files lawsuit against USAG physician

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm the most grossed out about how that write up says he does the athlete checkups for free - :(. "Compliments of Dr. Nassar and Twistars".

No one found it odd that he was doing all this stuff for free?
According to some of the articles, he was a "volunteer" while he worked for USAG as well....

I'm the most grossed out about how that write up says he does the athlete checkups for free - :(. "Compliments of Dr. Nassar and Twistars".

No one found it odd that he was doing all this stuff for free?

There was a famous British tv celebrity in the 70's who also did lots of work in children's hospitals for free. You just know how that turned out.

I don't think every time someone volunteers with children that they are pedophiles. I mean, there are so, so many youth organizations that depend on good adults to volunteer or they wouldn't exist. I also don't think it's completely unusual for a team/club sport to have a physician that comes in on a regular basis to see athletes for free. It's pretty common around here, actually, for lots of different sports. Although, it's usually a physician who either did that sport (i.e., a doctor who sees gymnasts actually was a gymnast when he was younger) or has a child on the team.

That said, I do think if you want to target children who spend time away from their parents, that's probably a good way to start. :( I don't know what the answers are, except to limit the opportunities for abuse. In other words, an adult shouldn't ever be alone with a child, etc.

I don't think every time someone volunteers with children that they are pedophiles. I mean, there are so, so many youth organizations that depend on good adults to volunteer or they wouldn't exist. I also don't think it's completely unusual for a team/club sport to have a physician that comes in on a regular basis to see athletes for free. It's pretty common around here, actually, for lots of different sports. Although, it's usually a physician who either did that sport (i.e., a doctor who sees gymnasts actually was a gymnast when he was younger) or has a child on the team.

That said, I do think if you want to target children who spend time away from their parents, that's probably a good way to start. :( I don't know what the answers are, except to limit the opportunities for abuse. In other words, an adult shouldn't ever be alone with a child, etc.

Bolded the important thing. Any safe adult would not want to be alone with a child, to protect them both. An adult who constructs their time with a child in a way that they are alone is questionable, to say the least.

I have volunteered in schools for many years, If I am alone with a child in a class room, I sit within view of the door, and leave the door wide open. I also sit across the desk from the child, not next to them.

Bolded the important thing. Any safe adult would not want to be alone with a child, to protect them both. An adult who constructs their time with a child in a way that they are alone is questionable, to say the least.

I have volunteered in schools for many years, If I am alone with a child in a class room, I sit within view of the door, and leave the door wide open. I also sit across the desk from the child, not next to them.

Yes, exactly!

I know he's not on the banned list (yet), but my point is that I'm surprised that USAG is allowing him in a USAG club gym when they put out a statement saying Nassar was "no longer affiliated with USAG".....he is still seeing kids in a USAG club. I would think that Steve Penny would put a kabosh on Nassar on ANY USAG club, camp, training facility, meet etc until this is sorted out. As it stands now, with Nassar still at Gedderts, I think opens them up to huge liability , both for Gedderts and USAG, should any one have anything happen.
The problem is that, while a Club is a USAG Member Club, it is still a private Club… and USAG has no control over them other than what USAG actually governs.

The problem is that, while a Club is a USAG Member Club, it is still a private Club… and USAG has no control over them other than what USAG actually governs.

Don't think that the powers that be at USAG can't "suggest" that Gedderts sever his ties with a man that USAG has severed ties with.....if I were a parent at Gedderts , I'd have an issue with Nassar continuing to be around the place.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back