WAG Quick question on mobility scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Does an AA mobility score need to be earned in one meet, or can you add score for the 4 events earned in different meets?

Thanks!

Also many clubs have their own mobility scores. Chances are if you cannot hit 32AA in one meet you are probably not ready to move to the next level.

For most levels (up till 8, I think) the mobility score is only 31, so yes, that's pretty low. The only way I could see it making sense to get the score piecemeal like that would be if the kid had a series of injuries that kept her from competing different events at different times during the season. But even in that case, if the coach knows she has the skills, it should be a fairly easy thing to uptrain the next level and score out at the beginning of the next season.

Well, the long story is that my DD and a few other level 5s who are scoring over 37 are going to do the next 2 meets at level 6 but coach still wants them to do level 5 states, so he is only having them do 3 events. I am fine with this, but I was hoping they could get a mobility score so that next year when the JO program changes there would be possibility for the girls to go to new level 6 (if the skills are there).

If they only have level 5 AA scores this year, the only option is new level 5 next year...unless I guess they score out of the new level 5 at the beginning of the season.

If they only have level 5 AA scores this year, the only option is new level 5 next year...unless I guess they score out of the new level 5 at the beginning of the season.

That sounds like what they'll have to do. Yes, they'll have to learn the "new" level 5 routine over the summer, but they would have to learn the current 6 routine now...doesn't really seem like it makes a difference.

Some states have post-state meets in late spring for compulsory levels for kids to practice a new level or get a mobility score, so that might be an option if your team has a group of girls in that position. I'm thinking those kinds of meets might be even more popular this year with the upcoming level changes. Check out the meet schedule on your state USAG site.

Some states have post-state meets in late spring for compulsory levels for kids to practice a new level or get a mobility score, so that might be an option if your team has a group of girls in that position. I'm thinking those kinds of meets might be even more popular this year with the upcoming level changes. Check out the meet schedule on your state USAG site.

Wouldn't this only work if there hasn't been states yet for the level they want to score out of? Here, the meets post-states are for levels which haven't had their states yet (which makes sense). For us, levels 5 and 6 states are on the same weekend, so that wouldn't work here.

Wouldn't this only work if there hasn't been states yet for the level they want to score out of? Here, the meets post-states are for levels which haven't had their states yet (which makes sense). For us, levels 5 and 6 states are on the same weekend, so that wouldn't work here.
I know of some states that host small but sanctioned meets post-states for kids to try out a new level or get a mobility score. I guess it just depends on how late the state meet is held where you are. I think they tend to be smaller meets, so perhaps not advertised on the state website, but if your coach asks around you might be able to find something like that- or even a meet in a neighboring state if they have a slightly different compulsory state meet schedule.

Just wanted to follow up. Several of the level 5s competed level 6 last weekend, scratching vault so they would not qualify for level 6 states. They did great!!

My DD got 8.65 on bars. She felt like it was a good routine although she knows what she needs to improve on! 9.075 on floor, mainly for bouncing after landing both tucks. 9.375 on beam, which looked great except for wobble afte full turn. Probably did not hold the handstand/turn dismount for the full 2 seconds in each position.

I also looked at the other states in our region and I don't see any competitions advertised after states. So, unless coach changes his mind about having them compete level 5 states and looks for something not publicized, they won't have a mobility score into the new level 6 next year. What a bummer...

Well, the long story is that my DD and a few other level 5s who are scoring over 37 are going to do the next 2 meets at level 6 but coach still wants them to do level 5 states, so he is only having them do 3 events. I am fine with this, but I was hoping they could get a mobility score so that next year when the JO program changes there would be possibility for the girls to go to new level 6 (if the skills are there).

Just wanted to follow up. Several of the level 5s competed level 6 last weekend, scratching vault so they would not qualify for level 6 states. They did great!!

My DD got 8.65 on bars. She felt like it was a good routine although she knows what she needs to improve on! 9.075 on floor, mainly for bouncing after landing both tucks. 9.375 on beam, which looked great except for wobble afte full turn. Probably did not hold the handstand/turn dismount for the full 2 seconds in each position.

I also looked at the other states in our region and I don't see any competitions advertised after states. So, unless coach changes his mind about having them compete level 5 states and looks for something not publicized, they won't have a mobility score into the new level 6 next year. What a bummer...

And this is why your coach did this...he/she knows that if they are getting 37s at level 5, they will probably be a ringer for States but if they competed a level up, which it seems they are clearly competent to do so, they most likely wouldn't be a sure bet for your state title...some gyms place a tremendous importance on compulsory levels winning states but if this were my daughter, and the levels are changing in August, I would jhave preferred she did the 4 events as a 6 and scored out and moved on to Level 7 ( but that's just me...)

So what was the coach's goal in having them compete 3 events at L6, if not to score out? Just to see what they would score? I don't get it.

And this is why your coach did this...he/she knows that if they are getting 37s at level 5, they will probably be a ringer for States but if they competed a level up, which it seems they are clearly competent to do so, they most likely wouldn't be a sure bet for your state title...some gyms place a tremendous importance on compulsory levels winning states but if this were my daughter, and the levels are changing in August, I would jhave preferred she did the 4 events as a 6 and scored out and moved on to Level 7 ( but that's just me...)

I agree. The long story is that at the beginning of the season, these girls were probably not ready for level 6, although that depends on how you define "ready." Nevertheless, the plan was for them to simply repeat level 5 for the season and that was that. However, their repeat season has turned out to go a bit better than expected and their uptraining has been a real success.

So, now they are sort of in limbo, I guess. He could move them all up and have them compete level 6 states. They would be competent, as you point out, but not sure how they would place. Or, they could stick with the original plan and compete level 5 states and we may have a couple of state champs. I think the other unknown is that even if they competed level 6 this season for all or part of it, next season they might still be good candidates for repeating level 6. So, he opted for repeating 5 with lots of uptraining, rather than repeating level 6.

I admit I was really hoping to get my DD into the new level 6 next season because she wants so badly to make her own routine and get away from the nitpicking choreography judging that deducts for where you hands are! I just don't know what skills are required in the new 6 to even say if she could do it! Man, this sport makes me crazy!

In our State, you are allowed to compete AA at the next level as long as it is not a Sectional meet. If you compete a Sectional at the higher level, you cannot drop back. For optionals which do not have sectionals, there is a declaration date.

It would be interesting to hear how different states handle this. Our state allows you to compete up a level and still do your declared level at state. It doesn't seem like there is a limit to how many meets you can do this in.

It would be interesting to hear how different states handle this. Our state allows you to compete up a level and still do your declared level at state. It doesn't seem like there is a limit to how many meets you can do this in.

I could be wrong, but I think in my state if you compete AA in a state sanctioned meet and earn a qualifying score, then you must compete that higher level at states. Also, within 4 weeks of states if you compete at the higher level that is considered declaration of your intent to compete the higher level at states.

I am just going with whatever...DD is happy to have the couple of opportunities to compete 6 this year and prove to herself that she is solid. She also seems fine to compete level 5 at states instead of 6. Like I said, my interest is purely in the mobility score for next year when the levels change - it would have give her 3 options of where to compete next year.

Thanks for all the input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back