Roundoff? help? video!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

Hi there :), I'll try what I can to help. Will try using both types of terminology to explain as I'm unsure what you are used to. I find most of NZ uses the same words, and I'm hoping Aus does too, but just for incase I'll include USA terminology too. :p

So.... Do you try this on hard surfaces often?

A rebound in gym uses the floor to push you up, its not just you doing the work.
So trying it on a hard surface a lot before you can do it properly may be holding you back a bit because you first need to absorb the shock from the hard surface before going up again. If you can't practice in a gym enough, soft grass might be the next best thing?

Another reason your rebound is delayed is because your chest is still fairly low to the ground. The shoulders need to block/prop more. You are bent at about 90 degrees at the hip when your toes hit the ground, should try to be more straight than that. More of a dish/hollow shape.

Drills to help the prop/block would be doing handstand props, shoulder shrugs while doing a handstand against a wall, or.... one other thing you can try....

If you training at gym and have a soft cylinder, or maybe a small soft box? try putting it between where your hands get placed, and where your feet land. That will force you to push harder with the shoulders to try clear the object.
Hope this helps you, if there is anything I said that you don't understand then just ask :)

Okay i am sure someone with more knowledge than me will respond very soon but from what I can see you need to hurdle longer rather than higher and reach your hands out further before you put them down but when your hurdle is longer the hand placement will be easier so don't hinge too much at the hip to get your hands to the ground. Also from what i can tell your hands are placed on the side like a cartwheel but i think (hard to think about when not actually doing one) that they should be already be pointing slightly backwards (i.e. to where you came) not exactly but about 45 degrees. Also land with your shoulders up and your feet in front of you so that you practice for a round off flip later. Also remember to push really hard through your shoulders sorry if i said anything incorrect

You don't have enough room.
You need room to hurdle further forward and take a bigger step in your lunge.
The camera is kind of close to see the rest but it looks like a little better hurdle and lunge will make a huge difference. It looks like you are doing a lot of the little things right.

You don't have enough room.
You need room to hurdle further forward and take a bigger step in your lunge.
The camera is kind of close to see the rest but it looks like a little better hurdle and lunge will make a huge difference. It looks like you are doing a lot of the little things right.
That puts me in a bit of a stump because at gym my coach says I have a very powerful long hurdle and I reach far forward, My hurdle was small because I was in my loungeroom because it was cold out, I have been trying to get a vid at gym but havent had the time... Thanks for saying I'm doing most things right, hopefully it will just click soon :) sorry about the camera being too close :D

Okay i am sure someone with more knowledge than me will respond very soon but from what I can see you need to hurdle longer rather than higher and reach your hands out further before you put them down but when your hurdle is longer the hand placement will be easier so don't hinge too much at the hip to get your hands to the ground. Also from what i can tell your hands are placed on the side like a cartwheel but i think (hard to think about when not actually doing one) that they should be already be pointing slightly backwards (i.e. to where you came) not exactly but about 45 degrees. Also land with your shoulders up and your feet in front of you so that you practice for a round off flip later. Also remember to push really hard through your shoulders sorry if i said anything incorrect
At gym I reach far out my hurdle is long and its very powerful, Haha I would have hit the lounge if I reached out really far :/, My hands are in a T-shape :) I do roundoff's rebounding onto a mat to practice for backflips and I'm working on the feet in front but I had forgotten that I need to do that lol so thanks :D

Haha Yes, I live an hour away from my gym, therfore only go once a week, so I try to practice at home a little bit but I don't do my roundoff much at home, when I was learning I did it alot at home though, Yes I do it on my grass a fair bit and its so much easier on my joints haha, Yes I thought it could of been the coming out of it too, I do lots of handstand pops but find it hard to then put that into the roundoff, Ill try putting some objects so that I have to push harder. Thanks so much :D

A round-off on a hard surface like a home floor (carpet over wood or concrete effectively) is much different than one on a sprung floor.

Do your legs bend when you do a round-off on the spring floor? How much? Actually even elite round-offs have minute flexion in their joints but it's so fast and small that it is hard to see in real time but evident in video.

When your feet hit the floor your entire body should be as stiff as a 2x4. A tighter body rebounds more than one that bends and absorbs the force of your body hitting the floor.

A common easy drill is ankle bounces where you punch the floor on the balls of your feet across and do not allow any bend in the hips and knees, keeping your glutes (butt) and abs squeezed hard with minimal bend of your ankle.

So, in end I think you may not be keeping your body as tight when it contacts the floor. So it's more of a proprioceptive problem more than anything else.

A round-off on a hard surface like a home floor (carpet over wood or concrete effectively) is much different than one on a sprung floor.

Do your legs bend when you do a round-off on the spring floor? How much? Actually even elite round-offs have minute flexion in their joints but it's so fast and small that it is hard to see in real time but evident in video.

When your feet hit the floor your entire body should be as stiff as a 2x4. A tighter body rebounds more than one that bends and absorbs the force of your body hitting the floor.

A common easy drill is ankle bounces where you punch the floor on the balls of your feet across and do not allow any bend in the hips and knees, keeping your glutes (butt) and abs squeezed hard with minimal bend of your ankle.

So, in end I think you may not be keeping your body as tight when it contacts the floor. So it's more of a proprioceptive problem more than anything else.

Thankyou so much, I think I just need to have more repitition of it at the gym rather than trying to work on it at home :) I'm glad to know that it's probably not going to take me long to get it right :) thanks again :)

Hi, I watched the video with pauses. From the perspective I have on vid I would say:

1. Hurdle too short - you mentioned though that it is usually longer

2. Your feet close too late, your second leg needs to get faster, you should have closed legs in the air at about handstand

3. You are missing a kurbet...you could practise that at gym or at home..it's about the hip angle
put a little block about knee hight(a little higher) against a wall. Make a handstand on the block, let your feet go behind you at the wall (you should look like a banana :) ). IMPORTANT: you NEED a spotter!!!. Then out of that position jump down on your feet without bending you hips.

Hope this makes ANY sense :)

I think you need to bring your legs together a lot quicker. Also keep your head between your arms, think of squeezing your ears with your arms. Also, try to land in a question mark shape, squeezing your butt so that your hips are a little forward so you are not bending in the middle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back