Shoot over on bars...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
My dd just finished L7. She has been working so hard on shoot overs. Is that something she would/could do in L8? I thought it was a L9 skill.
Thanks!

It is a B (therefore allowed @ L8) if it comes from a flat swing (not a handstand) and does not reach a handstand when the gymnast puts her hands on the low bar.

As far as I can tell, a shoot-over is considered the same thing as a bail, and if it doesn't go to handstand, it is a B skill and is allowed at level 8. If she goes to handstand, it is a C (I believe) and she will recieve no credit for it as Cs are not allowed at level 8, except for dance and other exceptions.

I also just finished level 7 and am training for level 8. My coach has had me working overshoots also. I have been doing them from the low bar to a handstand on the floor, and will do them on the uneven bars pretty soon. But yes, It is a B if it does not hit a handstand and she can do it. If it hits the handstand, it is considered a C and she will receive no credit for the skill, if I am remembering all of this correctly!

My gymmie competed the bail/shootover whatever as a L8. Her bar routine really stood out since not many L8s do that skill. It has set her up nicely for the move to L9 since she already has 1 of the 2 release skills required for L9 bars.

She did actually do one in a meet that the judges said hit a handstand(her coaches felt it was close, but...) and yes she got nailed on her score. Actually she lauged it off because a couple of other coaches congratulated her on such a nice bail to hs and said they couldn't wait to see her compete L9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back