specific muscle stretch question coach (eg dunno) please! urgent if poss!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Galadriel

Proud Parent
dd come back from training tonight and asked me specifically (and obviously i dont know!) how to stretch the lower quadricep from half way down the thigh to the knee - and also the muscle above the achilles tendon but below the gastrocnemious (sp?)
she is training hard for a comp in 2 weeks - yes she can ask her coach on sunday when she sees her but awesome if she can find a stretch for tonight to ease the muscle!
Please anyone???

what is going on exactly? sorry...just got home from a meet.:)

I sounded very melodramatic i am sorry
she just said that she has muscle soreness in those areas and cant find an effective stretch - she said the one that you normally do for the lower calf doesnt really get there.

she is working extra hard apparently at the moment with 2 weeks to a meet and i guess may be feeling it where she wouldnt normally!?

Are there standard stretches to cover these specific parts? The normal stretches she uses must just not hit the spot!

For quadricep into knee attachement.:

Sit on knees while flexing feet underneath butt they are sitting on the balls of their foot with their butt on their heels.
Push hips forward till they are open and lean back.
This can also be down while laying on their back to really put a lot of load on the stretch.
Laying down will typically stretch the quad more in the middle of the thigh than lower thigh.

For ankle above achilles but below gastroc insertion into knee:

Get in a downward dog yoga position. This normally stretches the ankle.
Now bend the knee to focus on the calf muscle.

SMR using a foam roller or stick or lacrosse ball, golf ball, baseball, etc works well. With a smaller more dense object, you can dig into the tissue more.

Get "The Stick". It works great to work out knots and tight muscles. I also agree with a foam roller.
The Stick: https://www.thestick.com/
I have the one that travel stick which you can get through by clicking on short on the side, as I bring it to meets with me and it is easier to bring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back