Spine surgery update...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

I came back home and my doctor said I needed surgery. I have grade 4 (the highest it goes before your vertebra falls off) spondylolisthesis which is no fun at all.

So I'm just lying at my mommy's in the scenic Colorado mountains... in bed watching everyone else hike and raft and bike. Oh well, they're hoping this will prevent the disc from slipping completely off and the pain it's been causing. I'll still need a back brace from time to time but it should be a lot better. I'm hoping to be able to do club level gym after but my doctor says holding my horses (silly english phrases).

The best part is I've gotten to eat a lot of freeze pops! And catch up on Gossip Girl. (Shhhhhh) I'm stuck here resting until I go back to school then I still have to keep it easy for a bit.

If I post here I might be a little out of it from the meds, just a warning.

Any thoughts, prayers and/or warm wishes would be much appreciated!! Thanks!! <3

oh my goodness Bribri, I didn't even realize you had back issues I am so sorry. I'm sure surgery was not what you wanted to hear was needed. I am glad they were able to fix it, sounds like it could have gotten worse. Make sure you follow Dr's orders so you can fully heal. I know recovery can be slower & more frustrating than planned, I had hip surgery in December & still have bad days sometimes, it can be a long slow road.

I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Have your mom go to the library and get you some good books !

My Oh my Bri, I had hoped you wouldn't need surgery, but what I can tell you is you will feel a lot better when it's over. Grade 4 certainly needs good care. Enjoy your lying around time, and definitely hold those horses. do you have a date?We'll be with you all the way.

Awww it's okay! It's the reason I got pulled from college gym sadly :-( (and I'd been training with the team and hoping to earn my way onto varsity and an eventual scholarship. Darnit) You sound like my mom lol! I'm notoriously impatient. When I first got hurt I wanted to be back in the gym immediately, when they said it didn't look likely I wanted a surgery to possible help right away and now I'm ready to get up and move around! But I'll wait. Great idea on the books and thanks so much for the prayers!!!

please let us know when when the surgery is approaching.

Awww Bri, I am so sorry to hear you will have surgery and relieved that you have a diagnosis. At least you get to help your niece with her own gym journey. I feel like we are friends and I should offer to bring movies and popcorn while you recover. So I am sending them to you virtually. Please let us know when the actual surgery occurs.

The actual surgery is tomorrow afternoon down at Children's Hospital in Denver. Apparently I'm still a child lol, I do have a pediatrician still. It's a bit of a hike from my mom's house so we'll have to stay with my evil aunt... I mean loving wonderful aunt for a day before I've recovered enough to make the ride back up to the mountains. I'm kind of nervous because I'm petrified of needles. I've had loads of ear surgeries putting tubes in and reconstructing my inner ear but I'm a lot more afraid about this one.

txgymfan- virtual popcorn and movies would be awesome! and bog- you're the best. I don't know what I'd do without my CB friends!!

After the surgery I'll be at home until the day school starts and then I'll still be in recovery mode. It's apparently not too easy to recover from. I'll just have to work on staying still!!!

Sorry to hear you have such a high grade injury. Hope the surgery goes well and your recovery.

I want to thank you so much for sharing this with us!!! I am in the process of watching my DD couch surf (as I like to call it) while she heals from a stress fracture of the L3. We will know in 6 weeks if it is worse. But it puts our situation into perspective after hearing your ordeal. Your a brave person!!! Keep up the good spirits and stay optomistic...it should help!!

We will be thinking of you tomorrow and we will all be here every day for you as you recover. I know it is daunting, but each day will bring you closer to being healthier and stronger. Patience is a challnge, but if you arm yourself with books and moveis time will pass less slowly. Try to read all the classics and watch the movies on the top 100 list. You will bounce back busting with new knowledge and you can tell us all about the ones you loved, and hated.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe ask mom to drop a me line if she gets time tomorrow.

I'm game for an OT book club thread. Bri, what fiction do you read? Bog, if you get updates please let us know.

Awwww... Bribri, I was soooo hoping surgery wasn't going to be required!!! BUT.. since it is, look at the bright side... the timing is perfect right now. You can rest and spend some time recovering before you have to go back to school. Bog has had a lot of personal experience with her daughter, so she can be your "virtual" fairy godmother here on CB. Also, if you haven't read "The Help" yet, GET IT!!! It's one of the best books I have ever read. It will be interesting to see how the movie turns out. Thoughts and prayers to you for the surgery tomorrow.

TQM, I was going to download it for my nook, I'm guessing I should? Have you read "Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" , its another one of my favorites? Also, from a few years ago if you have not read it get Memoirs of a Geisha. Bri we are happy to keep you in book suggestions. When he was about 3 my nephew called me a "bookie girl". I still am.

TQM, I was going to download it for my nook, I'm guessing I should? Have you read "Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" , its another one of my favorites? .

Those two books were both recommended to me last night! Interesting conincidence.

Bri, nothing but positve wishes and thoughts coming your way. If you could train to be a L10 gymnast then you will be able to make it through this. You are a very tough and accomplished young lady. Bog was right when she said you'll appreciate the surgery in the end with no more ongoing back pain.
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Tell mom we're thinking of her too---I know it will be hard on her.

We'll PM you like crazy while you're home!

Yes, I just heard from Bri's mom that she is just out of surgery, not quite awake yet and that all seems to be well. She is grateful for all the kind thoughts and will update when she can.Great news!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back