Spine surgery update...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Glad my mom talks to you all before me! I kid, I kid. I did finally get ahold of my mom and she says everything went well, it was just a very long surgery due to the high level of fusion that was required. She'll be in the hospital for at least another day. I'm sure she'll be asking to do gym as soon as she's cognizant enough from the anesthesia and pain pills. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!

Glad my mom talks to you all before me! I kid, I kid. I did finally get ahold of my mom and she says everything went well, it was just a very long surgery due to the high level of fusion that was required. She'll be in the hospital for at least another day. I'm sure she'll be asking to do gym as soon as she's cognizant enough from the anesthesia and pain pills. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!

Glad to here Bri is doing well.

That is the problem with this surgery. All of a sudden the pain is gone, but they still have months of bone growing to go. Hopefully she will get to enjoy the hospital for a few days! Then your mom will be handling her!

Bri, sorry I am JUST seeing this. I see that all went well. Im sure you are feeling much better and these "recooping" months will seem to go so slow. But take it easy sweetie. Touch base with us as you can. All the best

Bri's mom here. I'm up at the hospital helping interpret for her when she wakes up (she's in and out of it right now still, the fusion was more difficult than they though and they had to do decompression as well). Thank you all for the kind wishes! You are all so wonderful! When she's more awake I'll show her everything here. It's a long recovery ahead but if nothing else Bri is perseverent! I keep in touch with Bog via e-mail so if anything changes she'll probably be the first to know.

Oh and as far as books she's not a huge reader. English isn't her first language, ASL is, and it's always been her worst subject so she struggles with harder books. Any YA/teen fic that is an easier read she likes though (think the Gossip Girl books and the like). As a teacher I don't always approve but any time I can get her to read an English book it's a victory!

Sending thoughts and big hugs to Bri. Hope she can be persuaded to stay still long enought to recover properly. Get well soon.

Thanks for the good news. I didn't realize who was related to whom until now. I have always admired Bri for her determination and perseverance. You guys got your hands full helping her get through the recovery period! My very most sincere best wishes to all of you.

TQM, I was going to download it for my nook, I'm guessing I should? Have you read "Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" , its another one of my favorites? Also, from a few years ago if you have not read it get Memoirs of a Geisha. Bri we are happy to keep you in book suggestions. When he was about 3 my nephew called me a "bookie girl". I still am.

I am printing out your suggestion to take w/me today. I am leaving on a cruise tomorrow and have 3 whole sea days... perfect to sit by the pool and READ!!!! Yes, you need to read "The Help!"

TQM, Have a wonderful cruise. When you get back we can start an OT book club thread. I love to read, when I was a kid my biggest punnishment was when my mom would take away my half finished book and keep it on her dresser, often to get me to do my homework.

Bri's mom, I have always found it interesting that people that speak ASL have a hard time with written English, I always think that reading would be a great escape since they don't have the distraction of noise. I forget about the strong the tie between spoken and written English. This is a dumb question but is there a written form of ASL? I have not heard of one.

Bri, we are thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for a FAST and healthy recovery.

Bri -

Hoping that recovery is swift and that the keeping still part doesn't drive you and your mom crazy. Sending healing fairies your way!

Why Deaf kids struggle with English

txgymfan-

To make a complicated issue simple, ASL is actually based on LSF (French Sign Language). It goes back to the 1800s. It's also a very visual language and unlike common misconceptions, is not word for word English. For example "I'm going to the store" in English would be "STORE-ME-GO" in ASL (that's the closest version of a written form, it's so spacial and grammar is done with facial expressions most meaning is lost in writing). More French word order along with a very spacial sign usage. Instead of just word replacement there's something called classifier signs. For example the classifier sign for a building is the letter B (basically a thumbs up) If you described our small town you might then use one CL sign. If you describe NYC you'd do multiple CL signs to show what you're talking about, not just tell. Many of Bri's friends use something that's a mix of English word order and ASL signs because it's easier for them to learn.

Because of my special ed and interpreting background I raised Bri with ASL as a first language (many children who are Deaf and born to hearing parents are forced to use oral English. Because they can't hear it they never properly learn it and they miss out on the window to learn a complete language, which ASL is, by the time they're 7. That's why Deaf reading comprehension is on average at a 5th grade level). Anyway she learned ASL as an infant and when she started school began to learn English as a second language. It's the same idea as teaching a Spanish speaking child English. You don't have them stop using their native language because it stunts their ability to master advanced language concepts. You teach them all subjects in the native language and then teach them English as a second language. It's called bicultural/bilingual education. It's really (in my opinion as an educator) the best way to teach Deaf children to excel in English and other subjects. Trying to get profoundly Deaf children to use oral methods has been proven ineffective time and time again and there's horror stories from Deaf students in Deaf schools in the 20th century forced to try to say orange for an hour and never learning anything. At Deaf schools there's a lag in English learning which was one reason I chose to integrate Bri into a regular school. When she was younger she was in more special ed classes to learn English and by middle school was only in writing classes. She had an IEP (Individualized Education Plan that all special needs students, from mobility disorders to blindness to ADD have) but in high school was completely mainstreamed with an interpreter.

She had a chance to be with other Deaf kids at summer camp but with gym she really did miss out on that. She's been at a hearing university with a strong Deaf ed program and many students who sign but because of no longer being able to do college gym she's transferring to Gallaudet the nations top Deaf university. I have mixed feelings because I feel the quality of education there can be lacking unfortunately because so many Deaf students come from backgrounds where they were forced to have CIs (cochlear implants) that weren't successful or be in oral programs so their English skills are lacking. A lot of them missed out on the window for learning a complete language because of hearing parents who meant well but looked at Deafness as a medical illness that needed treated not a different rich culture with its own language. She wants to do physical education teaching, health education and a minor in coaching so I suppose it's not a big deal.

So that's the long and short of it. She's far more advanced in English than many profoundly Deaf kids/young adults (she only got hearing aids at the end of high school on her own wishes to hear the beats of music and the like.. until she found out the chalk at gym destroys them!) But English is still difficult for her because she doesn't use the structure in her day to day life. I think the internet and chatting has helped her practice but reading... still hard. Then again she's the kind of kiddo who might hate reading if she could hear! It's my youngest DD who is the bookworm!

Wow- Bri has amazing parents! I was very happy for her coming to the DC area and having the opportuunity to visit Gaulladet but i had not much infomation on her backgroumd. She is truly quite amazing!

Thank You for the clear explination! I have been interested in sign for a long time and knew the syntax was different but I never realised that it was based on French. That makes so much sense! When I watch plays or other presentations with a sign interpreter I often find the sign is so much more expressive.

As for her moving to Gaulladet, my personal opinion is theat the best part of the move will be to live with her brother and niece. My own sister and I don't get along and it is one of my life's biggest frustrations. This will give them a chance to create wonderful memories. My niece and nephew are two of my biggest joys and for Bri and her niece to have that time together is precious beyond everything. Hopefully her time at Galludet will be amazing and hopefully we can share a small piece of it. She will go on to do amazing thing, I hope I know what they are.

I hope Bri feels better soon! I miss her smiling face up in the mountains. Let me know if you guys need anything when you're back in Breck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back