Stealing/Using Routines of others

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Saw a L7 floor routine on u-tube that appeared to be close to an exact copy of a very utube popular/successful now elite gymnast's L7 routine. A gymnast at our gym had a former gymnast who had moved out of state take her routine off u-tube. Her mother did call and say they were using it and ask if she had a video of when she learned it from the choreographyer, but never asked permission to use it. To me if you use a routine without permission, its stealing. Just wondering if others have had experience with this. Are there any USGA rules or consequences for stealing routines (though how could you prove it).

There are no consequences but I would say the incidence of "stealing" routines off youtube is pretty rare in the USAG program, so putting any effort into thwarting it would be silly. It is not unusual for an older gymnast to teach another gymnast a routine they previously used.

I would not be surprised if this is very common. I am sure that when it comes time for kids (and probably many choreographers) to come up with routines they look on youtube for music idea's and idea's for steps. Copying will happen.

The solution - if you don't want your routine copied don't put it on youtube. I don't allow any of our gymnasts to put their floor routines on Youtube, as I don't want my choreography copied.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back