WAG Team Sleepovers at Coach's House?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymGirl's Mom

Proud Parent
I recently heard that a gym coach was having group team sleepovers at his house for Optional girls as a sort of "team bonding" activity for the girls. Is this against USAG rules of any sort? I feel like this raises so many red flags to me. Even if it's purely innocent (which I hope it is) it just seems risky. Coach is unmarried and lives with his girlfriend (also a coach). This isn't a case of the coach's child/ren having teammates over for a sleepover (he doesn't have kids of his own) but more seen as a fun team activity. What would you do?

Not against any rules, but a bad idea. Lots of team bonding activities can be done without a sleep over at the coaches house. Imagine if a teacher suggested this.

Maybe very innocent, but this is a huge red flag.

What would I do? If my kid was invited I would say no and mention to the head coach that I felt it was a risky thing for a coach to be proposing.

Not a chance for my kid. It is beyond a bad idea. And puts him at incredible risk, even if it all kosher.

No way would I allow my child to go. That is odd, why not do a sleepover at the gym with plenty of female chaperones? Maybe I am wrong for saying this but that fact that it is a male coach makes me that much more uncomfortable with the idea. Although I don't see a reason why ANY coach would want to have a sleepover at their house.

That's really really wrong on so many levels. I love my coaches, but not enough to go to their house and sleep there... that is just strange. Really strange. I would be very uncomfortable with this idea. I sleepover can be at one of the girls houses or the gym with MANY chaperones.

No way would I allow my child to go. That is odd, why not do a sleepover at the gym with plenty of female chaperones? Maybe I am wrong for saying this but that fact that it is a male coach makes me that much more uncomfortable with the idea. Although I don't see a reason why ANY coach would want to have a sleepover at their house.

You should not take him being male to mean anything, lots of predatory females out there too.

We have had team sleepovers at all of my DDs gyms. They are truly a great bonding experience and she has loved every one- BUT- they were all hosted at the gym, with female chaperones (coaches, moms, adult gymnasts even). If the gym isn't a possibility I would see if one of the gymnasts' families would be willing to open their home for the night. I think the coache's home is a poorly thought out choice and opens him up to problems. I would gently suggest that the sleepover is a great idea but the venue is not.

Last edited:
Nope. Doesn't matter if it's innocent or not, that's opening the coach up to all kinds of potential allegations.

At the gym with several coaches (and maybe a couple parents thrown in for good measure) in attendance, sure! But not at a coach's house. That is not a good plan.

You should not take him being male to mean anything, lots of predatory females out there too.

I agree with you in theory, and I wouldn't like it either way, even if it was a female hosting at her own house, but if I'm being truthful, it really would make me even more uncomfortable with a male coach. It's definitely biased and probably irrational to feel that way, I think it might just be a personal issue clouding my feelings on that. But you are correct. Plenty of females out there that don't have the best intentions either.

Nope, that's weird.

We generally don't do any team sleepovers anymore because of possible issues, but we did do one in the last year after a ton of requests from the kids. All girls, in the gym, all female coaches. Kids brought sleeping bags and slept on the gym floor. 2 adults were on "stay awake" duty at all times.

Your question was what would you do? I would not allow my child to sleep over- if it came down to it I would let them go for dinner etc to be part of the group but would not allow a sleepover - I would pick up before it got late. Not professional at all. Sounds like the coach just hasn't thought it through.

I agree with you in theory, and I wouldn't like it either way, even if it was a female hosting at her own house, but if I'm being truthful, it really would make me even more uncomfortable with a male coach. It's definitely biased and probably irrational to feel that way, I think it might just be a personal issue clouding my feelings on that. But you are correct. Plenty of females out there that don't have the best intentions either.
Statistically it is not at all irrational. Men are more likely to commit assault.

I looked to see how many posts the OP had because I thought this had to be a fake post because nobody in their right mind would even consider this to be okay ( not that the OP thought it was ok either).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back