WAG Tipping a coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjmacnam

Proud Parent
Is it appropriate to "tip" a coach? There is a coach at our gym who has gone above and beyond to help my daughter excel in her gymnastics. I wanted to write a thank you note with a gift card or money to thank him for his hard work. He has made such a difference in her scores and is an amazing as a coach. I just want him to know he is appreciated!

My dd makes a card and we give a note and gift card every year at Christmas and at the end of the season. Because we love them. Okay and because they have to deal with my daughter for 5 hours a day, Monday to Friday... it's always a gift card for wine! :) (just kidding) I think it's totally fine to give a gift at any time as a token of appreciation.

I think its fine to gift with a gift card or something but I think cash might be a little strange

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think its wonderful that you want to thank the coach at a random point of the year. I love the idea of including a note or two ( one from you and one from her), a picture and a gift card (to someplace you know coach would like) is great.

Yeah, I'd do a gift card instead of cash. Personal note from DD and yourself would be nice along with it as others have said. Glad your DD has a great coach!

Gift cards and personal letters, etc., are nice ideas. When we traveled with the team I always picked up DD's coach's dinner tab. I know that the booster club pays them a per diem, but this was my way of personally thanking her coach for his work with her. It also allowed us to share a nice quiet time away from the gym with him.

I agree with the general consensus- a hand written card with a small gift or gift card if you really want to. Cards are the most meaningful gifts I've received from my girls, so for me that alone is more than enough.

A thoughtful note or card & keepsake or gift card (not gunna lie, I love those gift cards that say "I know something about my coach besides that she spots back handsprings") are awesome and really appreciated. I've gotten some things from kids that seem so random (pictures, a stuffed cat-I am a major cat person, a decorated lab flask-also a major science person) and I cannot help but smile looking at them.

Cash would feel awkward. I know it's technically nearly the same thing, but still awkward.

I love showing a teacher/coach that you have listened to them and heard them talk about other interests. Personally, it shows me that my students don't see or hear me when I get a well intentioned Starbucks gift card (or worse a plate of cookies). Yes, I am one of the few people that does not drink coffee. I accept both with graciousness but I know students care if the gift reflects me as a person.

But Starbucks has smoothies and treats! Hijack.. I hate gift cards to Walmart, I don't buy anything there except necesseries so it's kind of like getting a gift card to the grocery store lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Cash would be a bit awkward, and it may be viewed as buying favor. That's just the imperfect world we live in and I hate to let negatives dictate to positives, so roll the way that best suits you.

Most coaches work gladly for a smile and respect, and that's all you really need to do.

I would say a gift card would be a very nice gesture! Very kind of you. Coaches and teachers can get very overlooked, and they spend so much time with our children!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back