What is the Xcel Program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
I've checked the forums here, googled it and looked it up on the usag website but I can't seem to get a good picture of excactly what the Xcel program is (ie how works and how it differs from the JO program).

Our gym is going to start one of these programs and I'm trying (from a booster club point of view) to get a grip on how this team would mesh into the workings of our current team program.

Also, wouldn't a program such as this pull girls from the JO program?? In other words, why would a girl choose one over the other?? (maybe that will be self explanatory once I get a better idea of the program itself).

Thanks!!
- Liz :)

The XCEL (previously called Prep-op in most parts of the country) is a program run by USAG. It's primary difference with compulsory is that there are no set routines. It is run like optionals, in which the coaches can choose which skills (within a set of rules) will be used in the routines. So instead of a set level 5 beam routine, where everyone competes the same, a prep-silver has the choice as to whether to compete a cartwheel, BWO, backward roll, etc. It was initially set up as a program specifically for girls who didn't have the skills to go to level 7 (or didn't want to). It was a "prep to optionals" (hence prep-op). But in the last several years, it has developed into its own full program, with levels comparable to 2-7+. Right now, each state (or region) has its own rules and levels but starting the 2013 season, the rules and levels will be nationwide.

In many parts of the country, XCEL is seen as a "lesser program" than compulsory but in certain areas (like NC), it is a very strong program that is producing well rounded gymnasts who are able to transition from xcel to level 7 without difficulty (they still have to "pass out" of levels 5 and 6 - usually just one meet each). So it really depends on where you live as to how good the program is and what it means for your gym.

Many gyms have both prep-op and compulsory. But how they treat them can be very different. Some use prep-op only for girls who are not strong comp girls. Other use prep-op as an additional season for their comp girls.

Here is Missouri there is only 1 X-Cel level and it is used to transition from compulsaries to optionals. The skills are similar to level 6 and 7. Most of our level 5 team from last year is now competing X-Cel and some will move up to level 7 (if they have thier giants) and some may stay X-Cel for another season. Of course you still have to score out of Level 6 before moving up. I guess I see it as t a means to get to optionals faster without spending a lifetime in Level 6. Plus not having to do compulsary routines has made my DD love gymnastics even more!

In 2013 the program is going to be standardized across the country. Of course, some gyms will still use it differently than others... some will continue to use it for those who they feel are too old or don't have what it takes to be USAG, others may use it as an option for girls who want to continue with gymnastics but don't want to be putting in 20 hours a week at the gym, etc. But once it's standardized an Xcell silver (or whatever) in PA would have the same requirements as an Xcell silver in CA... etc. Also, right now (in our state) the first Prep-Op level is about a level 5/6, but in fall of 2013 the first Xcell level will be closer to a level 3... so a gymnast could start in an xcell track early on... they wouldn't need to start in USAG for the early levels and then switch over.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Our Xcel team is considered a track for girls that love gymnastics but don't want to practice as much (it is 5-8 hours per week instead of 5-20), and for girls that don't have potential to do well in JO. We have recently had some girls from the Xcel track who were doing really well go back to place out of L5 so they could switch to JO, and they're doing great. It's not uncommon for girls in the JO program to switch to Xcel because they have other stuff in their lives that keep them from the heavy practice. Generally, though, they are two separate tracks. It's a nice option to have, I think. They do have their own routines, which is nice. They can add skills in as they get them, and certainly the meets would be more fun to watch than a L4/L5 with the same music over and over!

At our gym, it mostly is the kids that don't have the skills or ability to be successful in the JO program. Competition doesn't start here till level 4, so that leaves alot of kids who love gymnastics without a chance to compete. You don't need a kip or alot of difficult skills to be part of it. It's also older girls who want less hours and are primarily working on competing in High School gymnastics. It is really nice. My DD did it last year when she was 7. She had just started gymnastics, and was too old for the preteam groups for the JO program. She competed bronze and did routines similar to that of a Level 3. She was asked to join the Level 4 JO team for this year. If she has trouble in the higher levels or wants to do optionals, she can move back to compete Silver in Prep Op. I don't know if you are allowed to switch back and forth in one year, but our gym doesn't allow that. Not sure why anyone would want to do that. It is definitely viewed as a program for gymnasts of lesser abilities, which personally I think is great that they have a chance to compete.

As you can see, there is a wide range of how xcel is organized and used across the country, which is why nationizing the program is a good step.

But personally, I think it is a shame that people think of girls in xcel as less talented, who can't "make it" in compulsory. Many of these girls are very talented. They may just be older than what the coaches want for their team, or may have a specific weakness that would have held them back in the levels, or they just don't want to spend as much time in the gym.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thank you, everyone! It's been great to see the many viewpoints and learn how the program works. I hope our gym takes the time to set it up correctly because it sounds like it could incorporate a large number of girls (hopefully we won't lose lots of girls from the JO program to this one). When our gym manager told me the gym was going to start this program I was in sort of a panic - as a member of the board of directors on the parent booster club, I was frantically trying to figure out how we would be incorporating this programs parents/gymnasts into ours but it seems like the two would be able to mesh quite well. I'm guessing the meet fees, etc are comparable to JO. It actually sounds like it would be lots of fun for the girls!

Last question.... Is this program something a college-bound gymnast who is hoping to get a scholarship would participate in or do most college gymnasts come from the JO program? (I'm asking because my dd would love this program, but she has her heart set on a spot on the Stanford team (at 10, can you believe it?!) so wondering if it might be an option for her).

Thanks!!

While Excel's day may come, I suspect that USAG is still going to be the standard path to college gym.

Our PrepOp girls (will be Excell next year) are just part of our team. All the girls go to the same meets... Just different sessions. I know some gyms treat them as totally separate... Different holiday parties, different meets, different team pictures, etc. But ours doesn't do that.

While Excel's day may come, I suspect that USAG is still going to be the standard path to college gym.

Just to clarify, xcel *is* part of USAG. I think Mary means the JO program, which is also part of USGA. And she is right. Most college bound gymnasts will pass through the JO program (4-10). The xcel program really only goes to around level 7-8 skills. Gymnasts who want to continue advancing usually hop back over to the JO path. And whether this can be done really depends on how good an individual gyms excel program is set up. Ours is set up specifically to transition girls from platinum (highest level of platinum) to level 7 and several girls have done it successfully. We are still a young program so only time will tell whether they will make it to college scholarship but they score well at meets.

It's interesting to see how the different areas and gyms use the program. It is also nice to see girls are able to transition back to optionals if they want to go farther. Not the case where we are.

In our gym, we have a very strong prep-op (soon to be xcel) team, but it is a different team. They work out in the team training gym, but have their own coaches. They are not part of the booster club and I think have their own parent organization, all though much looser than the JO booster club.

The team does very well and until recently everyone competed level 4 and sometimes 5 and then decided (or the decision was made for them) to go the rec-op way or stay with JO. After level 5 the hours jump really high and the cost goes way up. The girls also would need to commit to just gymnastics at that point, so a lot of girls go the rec op route.

Recently they have started a pre xcel program so with the new system it will be an option all it's own for those not wanting to commit to team. There are high expectation of team commitment at our gym.

In our gym, we have a very strong prep-op (soon to be xcel) team, but it is a different team. They work out in the team training gym, but have their own coaches. They are not part of the booster club and I think have their own parent organization, all though much looser than the JO booster club.

thanks fellowsmom - I hope our gym has the foresight to set up this new team so that the girls can transition back and forth - it would be great for girls who aren't quite ready for the next level but have done well at their current level - also it would be great if girls could go the xcel route until they are ready for the optional level - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will think all of this through (in fact, maybe I will discuss this with the gym manager so they are sure to coordinate with our jo coaching team). I do know that our team will have a seperate coaching team than JO but hopefully our head team coach will oversee everything.

I don't think we will offer these parents the option of a seperate booster club - we have worked so hard to get ours up & running and get our non-profit status that it would probably be a nightmare to our gym manager to have to deal with two entities. I think if that's the way it's set up from the get-go it won't be questioned later on that there is even an option of them having their own club as long as we consider their girls part of the team also (why re-invent the wheel?). Hopefully it will work out.

I should have specified that dd's gym only competes excel until optionals and then go through 7-10. There is no option to go back and forth in her gym. If you're not ready for 7, you stay in platinum until you are ready or until you decide to quit. But our team is treated similar to traditional Jo programs in terms of skills expected, hours, and conditioning.

I should clarify that they don't have a separate booster club. They don't have a formal situation and are not part of our booster club. I think the parents get together and do stuff to support the girls, but there is nothing official about it. sorry for the confusion.

Good luck!

I should clarify that they don't have a separate booster club. They don't have a formal situation and are not part of our booster club. I think the parents get together and do stuff to support the girls, but there is nothing official about it. sorry for the confusion.

Gotcha - thanks for the clarification! Do you think the girls would feel more like an official "team" if they were included in JO team functions?? Just wondering if we organized events & included both teams, would we get a "them & us" mentality??

It seems to be just "one big happy team" at DD's gym. I think she sees her prep-op teammates the same as teammates at a different level. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to be particularly close friends with any of them, which is a shame because there are girls in the prep op group who are the same age as DD. She is in 5th grade and all of the compulsaries are younger and all of the optionals are older. But I'm sure she doesn't think that the prep ops should be separate from the JO girls. And because the Prep Ops go to all the same meets as the JO girls, their fundraising needs are the same, so it doesn't make sense for them to have a less intense booster club or anything.

This has been so interesting to read. DD's gym is one of the few gyms in the area that did not have prep-op until this season. They are doing a "trial" prep-op group this season with girls who would've competed level 6. These girls just finished doing another level 5 season in December and are now competing Xcel Platinum until March. Alot of gyms here have their girls compete JO in the fall until State, then Xcel until the spring. There doesn't seem to be a "separate" prep-op program that I have seen, at least with the gyms DD competes against. Will be interesting to see what DD's HC will decide after the season is over.

my coach told me that it was just a new name they came up with for the optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back