WAG When did Nastia become an elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
One of my gymnasts asked me to explain why the USAG site lists Nastia as being a member of the national team http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/TOPs/History/82-Current_TOPS-National_Team.pdf when she was as young as 6 YO (according to the years listed). I had no idea how to answer this question! I was thinking that TOPS involvement was included, but according to Valeri, WOGA does not participate in TOPS. Maybe they used to and Nastia was actually 7 in the year 2002?

She wants to know how young Nastia was when she started competing as an elite and what USAG levels she competed. So if anyone knows that, please let me know so I can pass along the info to her. I'm also curious how she can be listed as a member of the national team in those early years.

Per Wikipedia, Nastia was born in 1989 and this shows her becoming a Junior Elite in 2002, so that would make her 13 yrs old. Where do you see that she was 7?

Reactions: sce
Per Wikipedia, Nastia was born in 1989 and this shows her becoming a Junior Elite in 2002, so that would make her 13 yrs old. Where do you see that she was 7?

Okay now I feel stupid because I did not do the math at all, just accepted what my gymnast presented to me and told her I would try to find out. Yes, 2002 would make her 13 -- do you know the answer to what was the main question that she presented to me: what USAG/JO levels did she compete before she became elite?

I found videos of her as a level 6 and a level 10. Not sure the years on those though, so no idea on her age.

I think she competed all the levels at least from level 5. I found a site that says she competed her first meet at age six. In 1998 she was a level 6. There are age limits in USAG JO so while she probably couldn't compete a higher level at that age she was still uptraining.

http://gymdivas.us/profile_liukin.htm

I think she competed minimally until she was elite. There are a few videos of her competing as a child but I get the impression she focused primarily on training,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back