WAG Elite: the new "shaposh-like" rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Dd and I were having a discussion last night and this new rule came up.

So if I understand it right, the new rule states that you must do a skill out of the shaposhy skills now where up until now most people simply kipped out of them. If you Kip out of the skill now, you will take a .5 hit for empty swing.

So, my question is what types of skills can you do out of this type of skill?

I have heard that we will see many between the bar geingers and paks connected. This makes sense.

Anything else? Any way to get back to handstand without kipping? Can you do a circling skill out of these?

Could you do a back uprise? I don't think I've ever seen a back uprise in a WAG routine though...boys do it a lot more. I'm thinking a back uprise to free hip?

So if I understand it right, the new rule states that you must do a skill out of the shaposhy skills now where up until now most people simply kipped out of them. If you Kip out of the skill now, you will take a .5 hit for empty swing.

I have heard that we will see many between the bar geingers and paks connected. This makes sense.

Anything else? Any way to get back to handstand without kipping? Can you do a circling skill out of these?
Yes, not uncommon to see clear hips or stalders out of them -

I don't know, plenty of girls weren't kipping out of them last year. I assume the same combo will remain the most popular shaposh+pak...I don't see shaposh+gienger becoming that popular because it's a boatload of deductions waiting to happen and then you still have to turn around again to get back down to the low bar.

Is this referring to the extra swing that usually happens after the shaposh? I guess learning the shaposh half will become an emphasis. I've always disliked the look of the extra swing after a shaposh. Sounds like that won't be an issue going forward.

Fan perspective here... (not the coach who knows how difficult things are)

I personally wish their was a deduction for having too many kips in a routine. Multiple kips make good bar routines look disjointed, learn to swing out of some of your releases and other skills- bars are about swing after all. I know those routines where the gymnast throws several single bar releases look cool but I just cringe watching all the awkward kips out of them.

I've never liked the extra swing out of them, always looks like a mistake to me, then I realized it's not a mistake. I'll be happy to not see that swing out of it all the time.

Fan perspective here... (not the coach who knows how difficult things are)

I personally wish their was a deduction for having too many kips in a routine. Multiple kips make good bar routines look disjointed, learn to swing out of some of your releases and other skills- bars are about swing after all. I know those routines where the gymnast throws several single bar releases look cool but I just cringe watching all the awkward kips out of them.

I feel this way about stalders and toe on circles, some routines have SO many!

Could you do a back uprise? I don't think I've ever seen a back uprise in a WAG routine though...boys do it a lot more. I'm thinking a back uprise to free hip?
We have several girls that do back uprises (no shaposh though... just as an extra B for high school or L8). We have a L5 training L6 that has had an uprise for over a year. I think there are at least 10 - 12 girls in our gym that do them :)

That's really funny! :D
I'm embarrassed to say that it took me until this morning to get that.
They are.

For anyone else that was having trouble understanding this thread (maybe just me), found a dictionary.
http://www.redandblack.com/sports/u...cle_06e3e0d8-b97b-11e4-8b19-03106008d646.html

For some spillover from another thread that's been hanging around for awhile I did not notice there's no dick mount so I guess this isn't an unabridged dictionary
http://www.redandblack.com/sports/u...cle_43cfe1b0-b889-11e4-bfb5-dbacd224358d.html

We saw it a lot in Quebec, even at lower levels. Another kip alternative. Often seen was back uprise to back hip circle.

Problem with the back hip circle is it occurs a deduction for the leg beat afterwards which is also 0.5 . I think we will mainly see shap to pak or bail. Or shap half. Some gymnasts already back uprise, you can stalder out or short clear out. There will be some releases out. Bars will become more interesting. We need less kip cast handstands between every skill as well which is another change I think.

The rule is that they can't do the empty swing out of a shaposh - so we will probably still see some kips/upstarts out of them. Just without the extra swing in the middle.

I was on a coaches clinic about the new CoP a couple of weeks ago, and the tutor mentioned the possibility that some girls will go straight over into a giant (which is another way to get back to handstand rather than adding extra releases or a kip).

I feel this way about stalders and toe on circles, some routines have SO many!

This is also a new FIG CoP rule. They can only use the same root skill 3x. Not including giants, cast handstands and upstarts/kips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back