Coaches Afraid of jumping to high bar...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hammy1207

Coach
Judge
One of my level 4s is terrified of jumping o the high bar and catching. She's done:

1. Squat on jump touch (she'll jump and touch no matter how far/close the bars are)
2. Squat on, stand up, reach to hollow stand holding high bar
3. Jump from block and catch the bar.

Etc...

She's says she is afraid of catching the bar--but she doesn't know why. She's never peeled off the bar. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!!

Put a porta pit under the bars or a stack of crash mats, so that she can stand on the mats and reach the high bar. Stand in until she is comfortable, slowly remove mats. Make sure she is comfortable at each stage before you continue.

Teach her to fall as well. And keep jumping from the block. Also, I am generally patient when it comes to real fear issues, this just sounds like she eventually will need a kick in the pants. :)

Thanks! I'll try stacking the mats again and see if that helps. We've been working on this since June. I know there's frustration all around, and we just have I be patient!

stacking the mats so that you can stand on the bar and walk to the high bar does work. you also may want to try hanging colored poster board, or a colored wedge stood up on mats so that you have a 'contrasting' color on the other side of the high bar and lined up with where her hands will go. it could be also vestibular in how her field of vision is affected by the lighting in the gym and the very light color of the rail. she might not be able to 'read' exactly where and how far the rail is standing on the low bar. :)

So I've tried a combination and we're making a little progress. I have a 12in mat, two 8in mats, and a folding mat stacked under the bar with a cheese wedge stood up in front of the high bar. (I'm using this station as a jump hollow touch the high bar and back hip circle undershoot try to kick over the top of the cheese wedge drills as well). She's now jumping and catching the bar as she lands standing on the folding mat. She's starting to get comfortable with this so I've started unfolding the panel mat---if she doesn't catch and land at the same time I fold it back up.

also remember you can drop the low bar and high bar to their lowest settings. sometimes they are simply afraid of heights. :)

So...we moved the bars in to 1 and she caught the bar on the first try yesterday! Then...she wouldn't catch it again. She'll jump and touch the bar at any setting (no matter how far apart) but she won't catch. I think my next goal is to keep them close and work on her grip strength.

well,,,, start training her for level 3 each and every time she decides not to catch. In other words TURN IT AROUND ON HER and make sure she is not getting any extra attention.... (seriously, sometimes kids just want attention). Give her 5 minutes each day to catch 5, no standing there, no extra this or extra that (don't even watch just leave her alone and make sure the area is safe). Times up, go work pullover to front hip. Tomorrow, same thing, after a while she will get it, they ALL do. Do this for one month then check back with us.

We had a lightbulb moment and she has it figured out!! I told her at the beginning of the week that she had to catch the bar if she wanted I compete bars tomorrow. All week she caught 2-3 a night. Tonight she caught them all!!

We had a lightbulb moment and she has it figured out!! I told her at the beginning of the week that she had to catch the bar if she wanted I compete bars tomorrow. All week she caught 2-3 a night. Tonight she caught them all!!

....and sometimes a small dose of urgency is all it takes, and that's a good thing if the kid is safe and prepared, and the coach edges into it while leaving a few options open if it doesn't work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back